Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Working with text

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
BarryZA
283 Views, 7 Replies

Working with text

Greetings, I see there is a text post below me, but my problem is different.

I am working with text for the first time. The idea is to model up instrument panels that will be laser engraved in aluminium with about 10 - 30 lines of text with cutouts for the LED's etc.

I created fully constrained sketches with about 5 lines of text per sketch.

I tried emboss, and then extrude as new solid.

My problem is that both tools/features seem to take more of my CPU that running a part fill analysis, and all for a few lines of text!

I rolled up the EOP to edit a sketch, and when I pulled it down again my poor 3.2ghtz dual core with 8 gig RAM just about smoked. I'm dreading having to re-position a few things.

Forgive me for not attaching a file, as these drawings are the property of... but I think you get the idea, the problem seems to be working with text regardless.

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
mrattray
in reply to: BarryZA

Create a non-proprietary file that demonstrates the problem and attach the ipt here.
Mike (not Matt) Rattray

Message 3 of 8
BarryZA
in reply to: mrattray

something like this

Message 4 of 8
mcgyvr

Its fairly normal.. Extruding/embossing text can really make the file size HUGE.

Most of my "silkscreen" files are from 3 to 10+ megs in size.

It depends on the font complexity too obviously.. I use Arial 

However I never really notice a performance hit at all from them. Just a bit but nothing to really complain about.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 5 of 8
JDMather

@BarryZA wrote:
... will be laser engraved ....

Does the engraving machine software have a text function?
If so, it might be better to use a note rather than geometry and let that software handle the text.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 6 of 8
BarryZA
in reply to: JDMather

O.K... changed the font to Arial, which really seemed to help things go along smoother.

Changed from emboss to extrude, smoother as well.

I need to detail the text myself JD, as it is a panel for an incredibly expensive piece of equipment and needs to look just so. I always knew that degree from art school wouldn't go wasted Smiley Happy

It looks the best I can try for is to get all my text correct and extrude at the end - the opposite of my normal workflow. And stay away from commands like mirror.

Thank-you all, making the life of a solitary draftsman a bit less solitary.

Message 7 of 8
Anonymous

I have nameplates that we emboss in the same kind of way.  If this is something that you have to fill out often then I would suggest making a template. If you’re interested I have a way that you can update all the text using custom properties and iLogic. You don’t even have to be in the model to change or update the emboss text on your instrument panels.  This saves a lot of time and effort.

If you have to make them custom every time then this is not going to be worth your time. It takes some time setting it all up.

If you need any help please let me know.

Thanks

JD

Message 8 of 8
BarryZA
in reply to: Anonymous

Thanks JD (another JD)

This should be a once-off, but lets see what the future holds. 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report