Active Contributor
stoob
Message 1 of 35 (753 Views)
Accepted Solution

Work title if not an engineer?

753 Views, 34 Replies
05-27-2011 01:26 AM

I got a question for yous....

If I am not trained as an engineer but get a job in an engineering company using Inventor, modelling and making drawings - what work title do I give myself? :smileysad:

Cheers

stephengibson76 wrote:

The shopkeeper replied, "Well, I haven't actually seen it do anything, but it says it's an Engineer."

Kudos to you sir! :smileyhappy:

Ok, the solution to this problem : Lead (metal pronounciation) 3D CAD Designer Monkey (who models stuff and can place them in a drawing quite well with dimensions and that) - an awesome title if I say so myself.

Thank's fellas, it's good to hear that not all engineers have their heads up their own butts. Nice.

Valued Mentor
stephengibson76
Message 2 of 35 (748 Views)

Re: Work title if not an engineer?

05-27-2011 01:38 AM in reply to: stoob

Draughtsman or if your American Draftsman or if your politically correct Draughtsperson / Draftsperson

Stephen Gibson

View stephen gibson's profile on LinkedIn

Active Contributor
stoob
Message 3 of 35 (744 Views)

05-27-2011 01:49 AM in reply to: stephengibson76

stephengibson76 wrote:

Draughtsman or if your American Draftsman or if your politically correct Draughtsperson / Draftsperson

Draughtsman - ew, that's sounds boring!

I'm English working in Norway, they aren't too bothered with political correctness here :smileywink:

*Expert Elite*
sam_m
Message 4 of 35 (744 Views)

05-27-2011 01:50 AM in reply to: stoob

Isn't it the workplace to decide the title of the job?  What does it say on your contract - what's wrong with that?  Surely you can't have every employee just calling themselves what they want...

But, to answer you, how about draughtsman (or draftsman for US/lazy spelling)?

Saying that, if you're doing the design-work as well as the detailing then I would lean towards Design Engineer.  But, take your point about no Engineering qualifications...  Just look at a job website and see what they're calling people and find something that you like the sound of - CAD Operator, CAD User, Inventor-gimp (master of constraints) etc.  At the end of the day, however you phrase it, as soon as you start to talk about your job in the pub it will soon kill any conversation.

----------
Please mark this response as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question...
but please understand that the solution may not be the answer you're wanting to hear...

If you have found any post to be helpful, even if it's not a direct solution, then please provide that author kudos - spread that love :smileyvery-happy:

Lithium - helping nntp users with mania, depression and headaches
Active Contributor
stoob
Message 5 of 35 (741 Views)

05-27-2011 01:59 AM in reply to: sam_m

sam_m wrote:

however you phrase it, as soon as you start to talk about your job in the pub it will soon kill any conversation.

lol! :smileyvery-happy: Hey, why do you think i am here looking for suggestions!

I haven't a job yet but applying next week, I am looking for something to call myself once I get the job, it will inveribly be checking parts and making drawings out of them but that's ok, it's the social kudos that I am looking for.

When it gets to the pub, I'll stretch my desciption to '3 dimensional modelling of grand designs and intricate placings of mechanical parts within a 2 dimensional environment' or something. But you're right, I'm sure the conversation will go back to women and beer very quickly...

Design Engineer, loving that, that's the number one suggestion so far... :smileyhappy:

Contributor
NeilHarris8884
Message 6 of 35 (726 Views)

05-27-2011 02:53 AM in reply to: stoob

A. A Chancer

B. Lucky Software operator

C. NSQEP (Not Suitably Qualified or Experienced Person)

D. CAD monkey

Neil Harris
Autodesk Inventor Certified Professional 2009/10/11
IV 2011 Pro-Suite
Dell M6400 Core 2 Duo 2.8GHz, 8GB Ram, Win 7/64 bit
Quadra FX 3700M 1GB Graphics 8.17.11.9716
Spacepilot 3.10.1
Active Contributor
stoob
Message 7 of 35 (724 Views)

05-27-2011 02:58 AM in reply to: NeilHarris8884

NeilHarris8884 wrote:

A. A Chancer

B. Lucky Software operator

C. NSQEP (Not Suitably Qualified or Experienced Person)

D. CAD monkey

Harsh!

E. Beginner of new direction in career?

Contributor
NeilHarris8884
Message 8 of 35 (717 Views)

05-27-2011 03:21 AM in reply to: stoob

Stoob,

Apologies if you think I was being a bit harsh, I was perhaps being a little too honest. If your interested in a career in Engineering I'd suggest you get some training in Engineering. Being able to use design software without knowledge of the subject of the design will limit you to being a CAD monkey, i.e. someone who can CAD model what someone else (presumably an Engineer) has designed.

Note: I'm Lead CAD Engineer on a UK nuclear decommissioning site and have guys coming for interview do a hands-on Inventor skills assessment. I'm no longer surprised at the number of guys whose CV looks OK, and interview OK, but who fail a fairly simple skills assessment.

All the best in your new career.

Neil Harris
Autodesk Inventor Certified Professional 2009/10/11
IV 2011 Pro-Suite
Dell M6400 Core 2 Duo 2.8GHz, 8GB Ram, Win 7/64 bit
Quadra FX 3700M 1GB Graphics 8.17.11.9716
Spacepilot 3.10.1
Active Contributor
stoob
Message 9 of 35 (714 Views)

05-27-2011 03:25 AM in reply to: NeilHarris8884

No apologies needed, I understand the problems involved in just knowing software and having no experience to back it up although here in Norway there is still a demand for Inventor knowledge even without engineer experience (creating drawings, making parts etc, I'll let you know in the next weeks if I'm successful or not with that theory...)

'CAD monkey' not a bad title, but I would love to have the word 'lead' before my title. 'Lead CAD Monkey', not a bad idea...

Active Contributor
macflirty
Message 10 of 35 (716 Views)

05-27-2011 03:38 AM in reply to: stoob

Hi All...

I think this is the funniest thread topic so far....  I just couldn't stop Laughing.

Seriously, to answer the question from Middle East to Australia there are position you can put yourself into.

1) CAD Operator  ( Computer Aided Design Operator - Don't abreviate the longer sounds good ) :smileyvery-happy:

2) Draughtsman / Draftsman / Drafter

3) 3D Modeller - Inventor ( I would suggest these one - sounds sophisticated / Technically appropriate )

If you will consider adding engineer think twice means more responsibility, risk, more problem and you don't want to put yourself into trouble if your boss will ask qualification for some sort of legal paper.  Not only that but in real life situation if something wrong with the project and your the engineer that's it for you. It's safer not to include it.

Good Luck to your career

Cheers mate!

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions or visit the Installation and Licensing Forum to get help installing your software.