Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Work title if not an engineer?

34 REPLIES 34
SOLVED
Message 1 of 35
stoob
2673 Views, 34 Replies

Work title if not an engineer?

I got a question for yous....

If I am not trained as an engineer but get a job in an engineering company using Inventor, modelling and making drawings - what work title do I give myself? Smiley Sad

Cheers

34 REPLIES 34
Message 2 of 35
stephengibson76
in reply to: stoob

Draughtsman or if your American Draftsman or if your politically correct Draughtsperson / Draftsperson

Stephen Gibson

View stephen gibson's profile on LinkedIn

Message 3 of 35
stoob
in reply to: stephengibson76

@stephengibson76 wrote:

Draughtsman or if your American Draftsman or if your politically correct Draughtsperson / Draftsperson

Draughtsman - ew, that's sounds boring!

I'm English working in Norway, they aren't too bothered with political correctness here Smiley Wink

Message 4 of 35
sam_m

Isn't it the workplace to decide the title of the job?  What does it say on your contract - what's wrong with that?  Surely you can't have every employee just calling themselves what they want...

But, to answer you, how about draughtsman (or draftsman for US/lazy spelling)?

Saying that, if you're doing the design-work as well as the detailing then I would lean towards Design Engineer.  But, take your point about no Engineering qualifications...  Just look at a job website and see what they're calling people and find something that you like the sound of - CAD Operator, CAD User, Inventor-gimp (master of constraints) etc.  At the end of the day, however you phrase it, as soon as you start to talk about your job in the pub it will soon kill any conversation.

Sam M.
Inventor and Showcase monkey

Please mark this response as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question...
If you have found any post to be helpful, even if it's not a direct solution, then please provide that author kudos - spread that love 😄

Message 5 of 35
stoob
in reply to: sam_m

@sam_m wrote:

however you phrase it, as soon as you start to talk about your job in the pub it will soon kill any conversation.

lol! Smiley Very Happy Hey, why do you think i am here looking for suggestions!

I haven't a job yet but applying next week, I am looking for something to call myself once I get the job, it will inveribly be checking parts and making drawings out of them but that's ok, it's the social kudos that I am looking for.

When it gets to the pub, I'll stretch my desciption to '3 dimensional modelling of grand designs and intricate placings of mechanical parts within a 2 dimensional environment' or something. But you're right, I'm sure the conversation will go back to women and beer very quickly...

Design Engineer, loving that, that's the number one suggestion so far... Smiley Happy

Message 6 of 35
NeilHarris8884

A. A Chancer

B. Lucky Software operator

C. NSQEP (Not Suitably Qualified or Experienced Person)

D. CAD monkey

Neil Harris
Autodesk Inventor Certified Professional 2009/10/11
IV 2011 Pro-Suite
Dell M6400 Core 2 Duo 2.8GHz, 8GB Ram, Win 7/64 bit
Quadra FX 3700M 1GB Graphics 8.17.11.9716
Spacepilot 3.10.1
Message 7 of 35
stoob
in reply to: NeilHarris8884

@NeilHarris8884 wrote:

A. A Chancer

B. Lucky Software operator

C. NSQEP (Not Suitably Qualified or Experienced Person)

D. CAD monkey

Harsh!

E. Beginner of new direction in career?

Message 8 of 35
NeilHarris8884

Stoob,

Apologies if you think I was being a bit harsh, I was perhaps being a little too honest. If your interested in a career in Engineering I'd suggest you get some training in Engineering. Being able to use design software without knowledge of the subject of the design will limit you to being a CAD monkey, i.e. someone who can CAD model what someone else (presumably an Engineer) has designed.

Note: I'm Lead CAD Engineer on a UK nuclear decommissioning site and have guys coming for interview do a hands-on Inventor skills assessment. I'm no longer surprised at the number of guys whose CV looks OK, and interview OK, but who fail a fairly simple skills assessment.

All the best in your new career.

Neil Harris
Autodesk Inventor Certified Professional 2009/10/11
IV 2011 Pro-Suite
Dell M6400 Core 2 Duo 2.8GHz, 8GB Ram, Win 7/64 bit
Quadra FX 3700M 1GB Graphics 8.17.11.9716
Spacepilot 3.10.1
Message 9 of 35
stoob
in reply to: NeilHarris8884

No apologies needed, I understand the problems involved in just knowing software and having no experience to back it up although here in Norway there is still a demand for Inventor knowledge even without engineer experience (creating drawings, making parts etc, I'll let you know in the next weeks if I'm successful or not with that theory...)

'CAD monkey' not a bad title, but I would love to have the word 'lead' before my title. 'Lead CAD Monkey', not a bad idea...

Message 10 of 35
macflirty

Hi All...

I think this is the funniest thread topic so far....  I just couldn't stop Laughing.

Seriously, to answer the question from Middle East to Australia there are position you can put yourself into.

1) CAD Operator  ( Computer Aided Design Operator - Don't abreviate the longer sounds good ) Smiley Very Happy

2) Draughtsman / Draftsman / Drafter

3) 3D Modeller - Inventor ( I would suggest these one - sounds sophisticated / Technically appropriate )

If you will consider adding engineer think twice means more responsibility, risk, more problem and you don't want to put yourself into trouble if your boss will ask qualification for some sort of legal paper.  Not only that but in real life situation if something wrong with the project and your the engineer that's it for you. It's safer not to include it.

Good Luck to your career

Cheers mate!

Message 11 of 35
stoob
in reply to: macflirty

Great answer! Thanks for that.

I think I would have to put some sort of '3D' in there as I have been working in 3D animation for several years now and would be good to carry on that title, but it's not all about the workplace, it's all about what you put in your job title description on Facebook to impress your 'friends',  n'est  pas? Smiley Very Happy

Message 12 of 35
stephengibson76

Monkey

Stephen Gibson

Message 13 of 35
stoob

@stephengibson76 wrote:

Monkey

Please don't demean and insult me, it's - Lead 3D Modeling CAD Monkey

Funny picture btw! Smiley Happy

Message 14 of 35
sam_m

so it's decided...

lead computer-aided 3d monkey designer (supervisor)

(with lead pronounced like the metal...)

Sam M.

Please mark this response as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question...
If you have found any post to be helpful, even if it's not a direct solution, then please provide that author kudos - spread that love 😄

Message 15 of 35
SBix26

Our Inventor guys who do the bulk of the modeling, detailing, etc., are called Designers.  They come to us engineers for help with engineering when needed, though recognizing the need for engineering help sometimes requires an engineer...

Message 16 of 35
stephengibson76
in reply to: SBix26

A tourist walked into a pet shop and was looking at the animals on display. While he was there, another customer walked in and said to the shopkeeper, "I'll have an CAD monkey please."

The shopkeeper nodded, went over to a cage at the side of the shop and took out a monkey. He fitted a collar and leash, handed it to the customer, saying, "That'll be $5000." The customer paid and walked out with his monkey.

Startled, the tourist went over to the shopkeeper and said, "That was a very expensive monkey. Most of them are only few hundred dollars. Why did that one cost so much?"

The Shopkeeper answered, "Ah, that monkey can draw in CAD - very fast, clear layouts, no mistakes, well worth the money."

The tourist looked at a monkey in another cage. "That one's even more expensive! $10,000! What does it do?"

"Oh, that one's a Design monkey; it can design systems, layout projects, mark-up drawings, write specifications, some even calculate. All the really useful stuff," said the shopkeeper.

The tourist looked around for a little longer and saw a third monkey in a cage of its own. The price tag around its neck read $50,000. He gasped to the shopkeeper, "That one costs more than all the others put together! What on earth does it do?"

The shopkeeper replied, "Well, I haven't actually seen it do anything, but it says it's an Engineer."

Stephen Gibson

Message 17 of 35
stoob

@stephengibson76 wrote:

The shopkeeper replied, "Well, I haven't actually seen it do anything, but it says it's an Engineer."

Kudos to you sir! Smiley Happy

Ok, the solution to this problem : Lead (metal pronounciation) 3D CAD Designer Monkey (who models stuff and can place them in a drawing quite well with dimensions and that) - an awesome title if I say so myself.

Thank's fellas, it's good to hear that not all engineers have their heads up their own butts. Nice.

Message 18 of 35
Dennis_Jeffrey
in reply to: SBix26

Sam, I agree. Designer seems to be the most common title in the US for non-engineers. For those using 3D modelers (any), the title of Draftsman has all but dissapeared, replaced by designer. Those still on AutoCAD 2D probably still earn the title of Draftsman.

Please mark this response as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question.

Subscribe to the free digital "The Creative Inventor Magazine" now available at: http://teknigroup....

XP64 SP2, GeForce 9800GT-1GB, Driver: 6.14.12.7061, 8GB Ram, AMD Athlon II 3.2 Ghz
Laptop: Win7-64 Pro, 4GB, ATI Graphics on board, 2012 Ultimate, IV2011 or 2010 Pro, all SP's
Message 19 of 35
swalton

We use CAD Drafter for someone who can run IV or ProE. 

CAD Designer is used for someone who can be given a "paper napkin" sketch and supervision to create a functional design. 

Design Engineer is someone with an engineering degree who can can start with a list of customer requirements and create a new machine without any supervision.

Steve Walton
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Inventor 2023
Vault Professional 2023
Message 20 of 35
sam_m
in reply to: Dennis_Jeffrey

Dennis - I was more refering to the word engineer in "design engineer" - as to whether someone is happy/justified using the word without the qualifications.

Just my pet-peeve as I spent time and money going to uni, getting an engineering degree and thus feel I've earnt the title - so why should people without the qualifications use the title?  You wouldn't expect a pharmacist claiming to be a doctor...

Saying all this, the word engineer seems so common-place in the UK that it's lost its definition/kudos anyway...  Look at any job paper/website for "engineer" and there will be a load of comments about positions like "gas appliance engineer" to fit and service boilers.  How has that gained the title when it's more in keeping with technician/electrician?  I could well imagine someone with a Hons degree in engineering from a university getting turned down as being over-qualified or even being told it's non-relevent.

Whatever happens your contract and business card will say one thing, you will say something else to colleagues and a third to strangers when introducing yourself...

Sam M.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report