Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Work Surface visibility in drawings

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
djreesing
878 Views, 5 Replies

Work Surface visibility in drawings

Hello,

I have a similar problem as in these posts:

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Autodesk-Inventor/Surfaces-visible-in-IDW/m-p/3612220/highlight/true#M...

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Autodesk-Inventor/surface-visability-in-an-idw/m-p/3669570/highlight/t...

I have an assembly with a couple of parts. Some parts contain work surfaces which are made invisible in the part. When a view of the assembly is placed on the drawing all seems to be fine, surfaces are invisible. However when I make a part invisible in the drawing view and after this make it visible again the surfaces are also visible.

I've tried to create a view rep as described in one of the above posts, but this doesn't solve my problem. The 'delete face' workaround from the other post does work but it's not a real solution in my opinion.

How can I make a work surface invisible in a part and prevent it from ever showing up in a drawing (unless you specifically tell it to). Basically the pre-2013 functionality.

Best regards,

Daniël

IV201

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
PaulMunford
in reply to: djreesing

Make sure it is off in the part. Then in any sub assemblies and finally the top level assembly.

Make sure that your work features are off in the 'master' view, as well as the default view.

Autodesk Industry Marketing Manager UK D&M
Opinions are my own and may not reflect those of my company.
Linkedin Twitter Instagram Facebook Pinterest

Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
in reply to: PaulMunford

And make sure you use associative in drawings when using view reps:

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Autodesk-Inventor/Drawing-View-quot-Associative-quot-Selection/td-p/34...

This should work, it always is.

Greg

Message 4 of 6
djreesing
in reply to: Anonymous

When I make the view associative the surfaces are invisible, just like in the assembly. However when I disable the associativity and want to toggle the visibility of certain parts in the drawing view (so not with a view rep) the surfaces show up when a part is made visible again, even though they are disabled in the part itself. I first started to see this behavior in Inventor 2013, so something has definitely changed here comparing to earlier releases.

I don't understand the logic behind this behavior, when something is turned off in the part it should not show up on the drawing.

Daniël

Message 5 of 6
djreesing

Well just tried the same thing in Inventor 2014 and here it seems to work fine again. Apparently the thing they've changed in 2013 is fixed in 2014.

So the solution would be to move to 2014, case closed.

Message 6 of 6
Bert_Bimmel

Ok, and now, what's the purpose of this beeing grayed out nowerdays...

Bert_Bimmel_0-1660646091878.png

... unless you find this well hidden toggle:

Bert_Bimmel_1-1660646163900.png

???

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report