Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Work Plane definition: axis and point

11 REPLIES 11
Message 1 of 12
barnadaniel
2413 Views, 11 Replies

Work Plane definition: axis and point

Hi,

I very often find that I would like to create a work plane defined by an axis and a point such that the plane is spanned by the point and the axis. But the only possible way seems to be to create a plane through the point and perpendicular to the axis.

Is there a good reason why this is not possible? If no, may I request this as a new feature in later releases?

Thank you

Daniel

11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
JDMather
in reply to: barnadaniel

Can you post an example file where this would be useful?
From your description it seems like there would be an infinite number of solution planes - so I must be missing something in your design intent.

Ahh, I think I understand - the point is not on the axis.

Yes this should work - don't understand why it isn't available.

But after a bit more experimentation my test seems contrived - and there is better solution.

I can't come up with a real need, although it seems logical there should be.  Post your example.

On further testing it does work in SolidWorks (but in the process of testing I also discovered a cooresponding annoyance in SWx that I was not previously aware of).

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 3 of 12
bcrowell
in reply to: JDMather

As an example, I am working on a product that has a radiused back and a customer drawing with a section cut through at a specific point and on a plane rotated about the axis of the curvature of the part, it would be very convenient to be able to create a plane with a work axis and a point.  There are a great many circumstances that I have found this would be useful (and I have needed it many times), as by definition it does generate unique planes.  I find the plane Inventor will create from an axis through a point (normal to the axis) to have much more limited usefulness.

I cannot post the assembly file because of confidentiality or I would.  Instead, I am limited to posting a cropped jpeg.

INV Professional 2017 (Build: 142, Release: 2017RTM), Windows 10 Professional (64-bit), Intel Xeon E5-1620 3.5GHz CPU, 32GB RAM, NVIDIA Quadro K2200, Vault Basic 2017
Message 4 of 12
cwhetten
in reply to: bcrowell

You can create the plane you need through three points.  Just create two work points at a convenient location along your axis, then use the three points to get your plane.

Message 5 of 12
bcrowell
in reply to: cwhetten

So what is the trick to creating two points that just happen to lie on that axis?  You can't just click along the axis- do you have to do something wasteful like creating a couple of planes to intersect the axis so you can create two points? Seems like three times the work to create a plane when by definition an axis and a point define a unique plane. Smiley Sad

INV Professional 2017 (Build: 142, Release: 2017RTM), Windows 10 Professional (64-bit), Intel Xeon E5-1620 3.5GHz CPU, 32GB RAM, NVIDIA Quadro K2200, Vault Basic 2017
Message 6 of 12
cwhetten

Without a sample part showing exactly what you are going for, it's hard to give you exactly what you are asking for.  But, if your axis passes through your part geometry, you can create workpoints at two places where the axis passes through a face.  See the attached part as an example.

Message 7 of 12
IgorMir

I think it is just an omission of Inventor programmers team. That functionality should be available, without any doubt. There is a workaround to get what you want, of course (three point work plane, sketch entities etc.) but that is just that - workaround.

Best Regards,

Igor.

Web: www.meqc.com.au
Message 8 of 12
CAD-One

I agree too. Plane creation tool are missing good design intents. I could create a bisecting plane when needed.

C1
Inventor Professional 2020
Vault Professional 2020
AutoCAD 2020
Message 9 of 12
NWeigand

How about this? - create the Work Axis - create the Work Point - create a Work Plane (with offset from a surface) - delete any Constraints that the Work Plane has got - create new Constraints for the Work Plane: -> Mate: Plane with Work Axis -> Mate: Plane with Work Point
Message 10 of 12
trumpy81
in reply to: NWeigand

Do any of the options shown in the attached picture help?

Regards
Andy M
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2013 Pro SP1.1, Win7 Pro - 64Bit - SP1, Intel i7 960 @ 3.333 GHz
Asus X58 Sabertooth, Corsair 12Gig DDR3, AMD Radeon HD6970, Samsung 830 Series 256G SSD, 2x 3TB Seagate, 2x 2TB Hitachi,
1x 1TB Samsung, 4 x 2TB Seagate in Netgear ReadyNAS NV+, Dual Asus VE278Q Monitors
Message 11 of 12
BryanKelley

Hello Daniel,

Please see the attached Word document to see if I understand your request properly.

Thanks,
Bryan

Sr. Software QA Engineer
DLS – Mechanical Design
Message 12 of 12
Rich.O.3d
in reply to: BryanKelley

Bryan,

That would be my interpretation of the op's question.

I regularly wish I had this functionality...cant think of specific reasons off the top of my head, but im sure at least once or twice a week.

Also another good one would be a plane to bisect the angle between two, existing, non parrallel planes

CAD Management 101:
You can do it your own way,
If its done just how I say!
[Metallica:And Justice For All:1988]

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report