Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WONT PASTE AUTOCAD BLOCK INTO INVENTOR

10 REPLIES 10
SOLVED
Message 1 of 11
2228 Views, 10 Replies

WONT PASTE AUTOCAD BLOCK INTO INVENTOR

Hello Everyone

I am trying to paste an AutoCAD block into Inventor I keep getting this message...........

"Error Opening File.  Make sure input file is DWG file and not currently opened."

I don't understand why its not working.  From AutoCAD I Copy clip the block then in Inventor I Paste...........

If I go to Insert ACAD File, I get to see the preview where you can select layers.

I click next then finnish. But it does not work.

I have done it in the past but this is the second time in a design it has not worked.

Please help. I need to import this block into my Inventor model.

Kind regards

A CAD Student

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
msklein
in reply to: 20112679

It's telling you that the file is open inside of autocad. IV does not work the same as AUTOCAD. Save it out first , close file then insert file into IV.

MSK

Message 3 of 11
in reply to: msklein

Maskilin

It would be very silly of me. If I did not try that.

It is not open in AutoCAD.

Can anyone give any useful advice?

PLEASE!!

I have started to draw it again this time in Inventor.

Kind regards

A CAD Student

Message 4 of 11
thaddeus

hi, if you open the autocad file with autocad copy (select the lines, right click, select clipboard, then copy)  the lines that you want to have in inventor, go into inventor start a sketch, paste the lines into inventor, then I would suggest mnaking a block out of them.

or you could start a idw or dwg file in inventor, then make a sketch and paste your lines in there.

I selected the lines for one of the gears, erased the extrainious fragments, pasted it into a model sketch, extruded it, it worked fine.

good luck.

one more thing, you need to leave the autocad drawing open while you are pasting the copied lines into inventor.

Message 5 of 11
in reply to: thaddeus

Hello

I appreciate you taking the time to explain how the copy-paste routine is accomplished.

I was however looking for an explanation on why I keep getting the error message. As I believe to be doing everything correct. I can't get it to paste. If you want to help me you could e-mail me back an *.IPT part file of the gears on a sketch. Keeping all of the original acad drawing as the sketch data would be appreciated.

Kind regards

A CAD Student

Message 6 of 11
thaddeus

if your concern is the error, have fun.

if you want to place autocad line work in a sketch in inventor use the copy and past, not the insert acad command.

if you have issues whith things not working that used to work, first reboot, then if it still doesnt work, either something has changed in the computer setup or you are doing something differently then before.

Message 7 of 11
in reply to: thaddeus

Hello Everyone

So what can be changed in my settings to allow that error message to keep showing.

Its not hard to follow copy clip then paste.

Remember the message also says to close the acad dwg file.

When I do this there is noting to paste in. There is no paste command when you right click.

I have posted my concerns with this on Autodesk & still I await any kind of response.

I have now had to draw this sketch out again in Inventor. As no one wanted to help me by sending back an IPT file of the gear sketch. It is not as good.

So if anyone could do this for me that would help.

Kind regards

A CAD Student

Message 8 of 11
Ray_Feiler

IV 2012

Product Design & Manufacturing Collection 2024
Sometimes you just need a good old reboot.
Message 9 of 11
in reply to: Ray_Feiler

Thanks. That will do nicely

Message 10 of 11
mbs100k

I feel your pain. I have been going thru the same thing for 3 days now, I've been going thru utube vidoes, help files, forums, etc..  I cant believe that Autodesk didn't think to make thier products communitcate. Not a good set up. I got Solidworks to bring in my Autocad borders with no problem, and they all work well. But Inventor jsut keeps giving that same stupid message. "unable to open file. If fiel is open in Acad or other, please close it and retry"    Do all you want. It doesn't work.

Really? Autodesk didn't think about this one? We have several clients, I have to create a border for every one of them in Inventor?  Solidworks appeasrs to be all around better.

Message 11 of 11
yesl0120
in reply to: mbs100k

i'm a chinese user.i have the same question with 20112679.

is anybody can help me,please!

when I am trying to paste an AutoCAD block into Inventor I keep getting this message...........

"Error Opening File.  Make sure input file is DWG file and not currently opened."

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report