Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Woms

10 REPLIES 10
Message 1 of 11
Talayoe
399 Views, 10 Replies

Woms

Hey all,

I draw a worm gear (wheel) up as an IPT. Place in an assembly, hit the design/worm gear button. Fill in appropriate info, select the outter diameter of my gear blank, select 'component' from drop down, select the face I want to reference from (all pretty standard stuff)... BUT! when I hit OK things go screwy. My worm wheel only appears at the right of my blank, nearly off the part.

So, basically it doesnt create it on the part, or remove solid material to create the new worm. Am I doing something wrong??

tks! (See pic!)

Worms.jpg

-Randy

----------------------
Inventor 2017 PDS
10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
JDMather
in reply to: Talayoe

I recommend you create the gears by themselves and the edit the gears to add additional features.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 3 of 11
Talayoe
in reply to: JDMather

Hey JD,

I fiddled with this a little bit. I found it to be difficult to merge my part (drawing it on a plane from the centerline of the worm) with the existing.

Any advice on how this can be done more easily? Things like the bevels from the existing gear need to be gone (edit that solid, get tons of errors)... just for example sake.

tks

-Randy

----------------------
Inventor 2017 PDS
Message 4 of 11
JDMather

I have no idea what you are saying the rest of your problem description is.

I do better with actual models that represent the problem behavior.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 5 of 11
Talayoe
in reply to: JDMather

Hmmm, I re-read what I posted and it does sound a bit...vague. We will come back to that at a later point if needed (which leads to the next question).

With said same worm and the pic above, my worm wheel face (OD) width is 1.95. On the sample part I have, the actually teeth nearly cover the entire surface of that 1.95" width, but inventor will always default me back to a 'face width = .953'.

How can I change this so my width is large and not have inventor default it back to this number?

tks

-Randy

----------------------
Inventor 2017 PDS
Message 6 of 11
karthur1

"Woms".... really.

Message 7 of 11
Talayoe
in reply to: karthur1

Yes, at my shop we really do have worms (people are being vaccinated daily...)

😉

-Randy

----------------------
Inventor 2017 PDS
Message 8 of 11
karthur1

We have woRms too...  just not any woms.Smiley Very Happy

Look at your subject. You might be able to edit it.

Message 9 of 11
Talayoe
in reply to: karthur1

Ha! Thats pretty funny. Apparently my fingers move quicker then my brain. Alas, I cannot see how to edit the title. Oh well, I think the point has been taken. But we digress slightly... 😉 (Thanks for the laugh tho!)

-Randy

----------------------
Inventor 2017 PDS
Message 10 of 11
karthur1

Just a FYI, I think that you can edit your posts here, but only for a certian amount of time after you post it. Not sure how long we have before its locked out though.

2012-10-10_1006.jpg

Message 11 of 11
Talayoe

Just becuase there was a chance it was missed with all the humor surrounding my topic header...

With said same worm and the pic above, my worm wheel face (OD) width is 1.95. On the sample part I have, the actually teeth nearly cover the entire surface of that 1.95" width, but inventor will always default me back to a 'face width = .953'.

How can I change this so my width is large and not have inventor default it back to this number?

-Randy

----------------------
Inventor 2017 PDS

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report