Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wishlist: Custom iParts process table row using custom column values - IV10

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
Anonymous
157 Views, 6 Replies

Wishlist: Custom iParts process table row using custom column values - IV10

I have seen this wish before, but since I'm on the newest IV version now, I thought I'd throw this against the wall again.

It would be great if Custom iParts would update table columns with custom values and any calculated columns would use these custom values.

A good example of this is a calculated Part Number column that uses the custom LENGTH property and the Excel CONCATENATE function. Assuming the LENGTH was in column A, then the function would be

=CONCATENATE("default part #", " ", A2)

Currently (IV10 sp2) the iPart child always has the same calculated Part Number as the iPart Factory. If all the column functions were updated when the user selects "Compute Row", then the calculated Part Number would update to the correct part number.
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

Josh,
Thanks for your feedback. I logged your wishlist to our tracking
system.

Thanks
KVK (Test Engineer)

wrote in message news:5006949@discussion.autodesk.com...
I have seen this wish before, but since I'm on the newest IV version now, I
thought I'd throw this against the wall again.

It would be great if Custom iParts would update table columns with custom
values and any calculated columns would use these custom values.

A good example of this is a calculated Part Number column that uses the
custom LENGTH property and the Excel CONCATENATE function. Assuming the
LENGTH was in column A, then the function would be

=CONCATENATE("default part #", " ", A2)

Currently (IV10 sp2) the iPart child always has the same calculated Part
Number as the iPart Factory. If all the column functions were updated when
the user selects "Compute Row", then the calculated Part Number would update
to the correct part number.
Message 3 of 7
Anonymous

Great, thanks!
Message 4 of 7
Anonymous

Josh,

I just want to make sure that you are aware of a workaround if you need to use in the interim

http://discussion.autodesk.com/thread.jspa?messageID=4899775

Thanks

shekar
Message 5 of 7
Anonymous

I'm sorry shekarsub, but I don't understand the workaround? Currently, we do use Excel functions in iPart tables to generate unique Part Numbers per row. This is done with the CONCATENATE function and cell references to other columns. But the problem is:

- if you create an iPart with a custom column (i.e. a Custom iPart)
- then write a formula for another column which uses a reference to the custom column

when the custom column value is changed by the iPart child user, the calculated column does not update based on the custom value. I've attached a pic to illustrate

Did I just miss the workaround, is this possible?
Message 6 of 7
Anonymous

Hi Josh,

The appeareance of custom value in other columns in the iPart table is what we need is what I understand. So, I have updated the issue with this specific request too. Issue #: 711887. Thanks.

shekar
Message 7 of 7
Anonymous

I would like to add to this since it may accomplish the same thing, and add some additional functionality.

The first thought would be to have IV start an iPart table that included only the "Key" Value(s). One could either choose from the table or "Add" the new value(s). Ideally, when placing the part, one could just enter a value to add it as a default without having to click "Add" or deal with the table first. I am thinking of a data entry box next to the table pull down. If the value matched it would just use it from the existing table - child as normal.

This "Add Table Entry" would be something that could be turned on or off from the iPart parent to prevent the addition of parts to a controlled table.

The 2nd thought is similar to above but for a more complex table that includes more data than just the "Key" values. Again, I would like to add to the table when placing a part. Here I would choose a part to copy and then be able to fill in values that I would have designated as an option. Simple examples would be to choose a certain size of angle iron from the table and then be able to enter the length, or choose from a part with or without a hole, and then specify a length.

Pete

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report