Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wiring BOM

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
pgt
Enthusiast
1352 Views, 7 Replies

Wiring BOM

I have an assembly with several wiring harnesses. In total there are about five different wire types used many times for the assemblies. These wires have been setup with a description and part number. When I create a parts list of the assembly it breaks up all the wires into individual parts rather that having one item number for each type of wire with a total length. It also adds wire1, wire2 etc to the part number. This is really annoying. How do I get the parts list to understand that all wires with the same part number should be one item with a total length?
Thanks,

Pete T
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
in reply to: pgt

Pete,
Here are some clarifications:
1. The wire ID is attached to part number in BOM/Part list to show the
individule information of each wire. This allows the flexibility just in
case that some users are interested in this scenario;
2. If you want wire occurrences from the same library type (library
definition) to roll up in Part list, there are two ways:
(1). a. Edit the harness library and add a custom property as Stock Number
for each wire type (definition);
b. Edit the Part list created by adding one more column as Stock Number if
it's not there;
c. Designate the first grouping key as Stock Number in the group setting
dialog;
d. Now those wires of the same library definition should be rolled up
automatically.
(2). a. Edit the Part list and designate the first grouping key as
Description which is the same as the wire library definition name;
b. Now the roll-up should work for you.

Please let me know if you have further questions and thank you for your
interest.
-Oboe Wu
AIP QA

wrote in message news:5233040@discussion.autodesk.com...
I have an assembly with several wiring harnesses. In total there are about
five different wire types used many times for the assemblies. These wires
have been setup with a description and part number. When I create a parts
list of the assembly it breaks up all the wires into individual parts rather
that having one item number for each type of wire with a total length. It
also adds wire1, wire2 etc to the part number. This is really annoying. How
do I get the parts list to understand that all wires with the same part
number should be one item with a total length?
Thanks,

Pete T
Message 3 of 8
pgt
Enthusiast

I have tried both of these methods. The result is that the wires are grouped with a total length but not grouped into one item number. This upsets out method of automatically placing the parts list into our manufacturing system. If there was a method of telling Inventor that all these grouped wires were one item then this would solve the problem. Unfortunately it looks like the wiring harness facility in Inventor is not going to work for us.

Thanks

Peter Tomlinson
Message 4 of 8
AMiltenburg

We are running into the same limitation as pgt ran into back in 2006. We are in the process of building an BOM import function into our manufacturing systems. The wire and Loom ID's which are added to the partnumbers are a show stopper for us as well. I hope Autodesk can have a look into this toppic.

Message 5 of 8
mcgyvr
in reply to: AMiltenburg

add me to the list of users who can't automate bom entry for harnesses entry because of this issue also.

Wire ID should NOT be combined with the part number.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 6 of 8
Jrwise

I tried the method mentioned above, but the effect is that the part number becomes hidden.  Has anyone found a work around? Can't it just stop appending the wire name to the part number?

Message 7 of 8
BMiller63

This is the number 1 reason we do not use the cable and harness tools (even though we own it).

Number 2 is the lack of ability to work with shielded wires.

IMO, it's just half baked "digital prototyping" with no support for manufacturing using anre resuing known itemed wires.

Message 8 of 8
tbachelder
in reply to: BMiller63

I have the same squabbles about this program as well. My work around for this issue is along the lines of the stock number idea. Using "Bill of Materials" I use the parameters under part number to "=<Stock Number>". Where like stock numbers become merged. This works : / ok but when I make a modification to the wire harness (ie move a Segment pin a micro inch to the right) then the BOM updates itself back to the <part number.<wire id>. Which causes me to go back and change the oart number back to "=<Stock Number>". This will maintain the original item numbers if I change the originals first, Otherwise I have to move the Items back to where they were originally. I wish there was a better way. 

Any one know of one please let me know. I tried the parts list (change part number to stock number in the style), this doesn't work because I loose the connector part numbers. Am I looking at this right?

Thanks,

Travis

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report