Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows 'Open with' dialog box won't show Inventor

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
spackle42
721 Views, 6 Replies

Windows 'Open with' dialog box won't show Inventor

I'd like to set Windows 7 Pro x64 to automatically open igs files with Inventor. The problem is that when I right click on the file and select the 'Open with' option, Windows will not allow me to use IV. I've tried selecting 'Browse' and directing Windows to IV but it steadfastly refuses to recognise the program.  Does anyone know if this is an issue with MS or AD?  I can auto-open ipt and iam files, so why can't I do the same with other IV compatible formats?

Justin Smith

Inventor Pro 2015 SP1
HP Z400 Workstation
Intel Xeon W3565 @ 3.20GHz
12Gb RAM
Win 7 64 Pro SP1
Spacepilot Pro v3.17.4
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
-niels-
in reply to: spackle42

Does it stick better when you go through windows' configuration screen?
(not sure on filepath name, i'm on different language OS)
Windows > configuration > standard programs > link filetype / protocol to program

Niels van der Veer
Inventor professional user & 3DS Max enthusiast
Vault professional user/manager
The Netherlands

Message 3 of 7
mrattray

You could also try manually associating the file extension with Inventor via the Windows registry...
Mike (not Matt) Rattray

Message 4 of 7
spackle42
in reply to: mrattray

Thanks guys. Unfortunately going through the control panel eventually brings me to the same dialog box mentioned above, with the same results.  I'm also not really comfortable diving into the registry of machine.

Justin Smith

Inventor Pro 2015 SP1
HP Z400 Workstation
12Gb RAM
Win 7 64 Pro SP1
Spacepilot Pro v3.17.4
Message 5 of 7
-niels-

Well, i checked through my list and i don't even have a ".igs" or ".iges" listed in there...

For what it's worth, i don't think it's a very good idea to open iges files from windows explorer anyway.
Iges files aren't native inventor files, they are a neutral format that need to be translated.
When you open them from inside inventor you have the ability to set options for how that should happen, something windows explorer doesn't give you.

Niels van der Veer
Inventor professional user & 3DS Max enthusiast
Vault professional user/manager
The Netherlands

Message 6 of 7
ampster401
in reply to: -niels-

to add to -niels- comment, where I work now it's not supported to just simply click on any CAD file to launch the respective CAD app for that file.  If anybody calls with such problems we always advise of this situation and have the client open the CAD app first then use the Open command to locate their file.

Just like -niels- mentioned, there are settings within each CAD app (we support many different CAD apps, not just Autodesk software) that control how things open.  And if you add any "customization" to any CAD app, then double clicking on a file in Explorer or Computer to launch the CAD app will by-pass any customization.

Message 7 of 7
spackle42
in reply to: ampster401

Probably right guys.  We only really use these files when we're downloading them from suppliers etc. Normally I do open them the 'proper' way, but since Windows won't give me a preview icon in explorer, it would be nice to just quickly pop them open to see exactly which part they are.

Justin Smith

Inventor Pro 2015 SP1
HP Z400 Workstation
12Gb RAM
Win 7 64 Pro SP1
Spacepilot Pro v3.17.4

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report