Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows 8.1 - Search function rendered useless while inventor installed

11 REPLIES 11
Message 1 of 12
xabiertl
533 Views, 11 Replies

Windows 8.1 - Search function rendered useless while inventor installed

Hello forum.

I hope you can help me with this... 😛

I had installed inventor 2014 a couple of months ago and I took it out when I realized that it was causing my explorer on windows 8.1 to crash upon attempting to search.
In the absence of a proper start menu, the search function in windows 8.1 is a must, thus I was forced to uninstall inventor. 
I am a student of engineering and inventor is a must for me, furthermore I have an inventor course coming up this autum and I was hoping to use the summer to get a heads up.

Hence, I installed the brand new inventor 2015, with the  (too high?) expectations of finding this annoying issue solved. Oh my surprise when the same issue manifested as soon as inventor was done installing!

I really can't go with a windows 8 UI and no search option, but I cannot either be inventorless... I have searched the forums as well as internet for a solution to no avail. 

Can anyone help?

Thank you!

11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
ajcraig99
in reply to: xabiertl

ensure you install the latest inventor service packs, pretty sure the latest addresses an issue like this with win 8.1

http://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/inventor-products/downloads/caas/downloads/content/autodesk-in...

Message 3 of 12
xabiertl
in reply to: ajcraig99

I might have to go for that after all... The problem is that right now I'm having this issue on the 2015 version! 😛
Message 4 of 12
mrattray

Did you follow the AutoDesk Software Installation Guide?

Mike (not Matt) Rattray

Message 5 of 12
xabiertl
in reply to: mrattray

Yeah, the installation process should not be an issue. I did not disable UAC though, but I am perfectly able to click "yes" when UAC pops up...

Inventor works fine, but as long as it is installed my windows 8.1 search crashes explorer.exe...

Message 6 of 12
ChrisMitchell01

Try the following:

run a command prompt as Administrator

type "C:\Program Files\Autodesk\Inventor 2015\Bin\Inventor.exe" /install

Wait about 30seconds then retry Inventor & then your explorer based search.

Hope this helps,
Chris

Chris Mitchell
PDMS Customer Engagment Team
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 7 of 12
xabiertl
in reply to: ChrisMitchell01

Nope... that didn't do it.  😞

By the way, I have Inventor installed in my secondary drive (my primary SSD is quite full... :P). I adjusted your command as needed, but that didn't fix it. I doubt installing on a second drive is relevant at all for this issue, though.

Message 8 of 12
ChrisMitchell01

Strange - that's typically fixed it for others.

Did you force the command prompt window to run as Administrator? (Rt click on command.exe & use Run as Administrator) as opposed to just using your normal account which may have admin rights...

If that doesn't fix it then I don't have any other suggestsions except if you are very close to having your primary SSD full, then free up some disk space.

-Chris

Chris Mitchell
PDMS Customer Engagment Team
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 9 of 12
xabiertl
in reply to: ChrisMitchell01

Yes, I ran as admin... And well, my ssd is a 120 GB which is not hard to fill up... I do not want inventor in there as to not fill it fully up.  😛

Darn, I really like how the new version looks but I might have to downgrade to 2014 and check if SP2 fixed it.  😕

Any other ideas regarding 2015 out there?  😄

Message 10 of 12
ajcraig99

general rule of thumb i follow,

Don't upgrade until there is atleast 2 service packs released.
Message 11 of 12
xabiertl
in reply to: ajcraig99

lol
Message 12 of 12
Ray_Feiler

"Yeah, the installation process should not be an issue. I did not disable UAC though, but I am perfectly able to click "yes" when UAC pops up..."

Sorry but this is not the same. Before you try 2014 again reinstall 2015 with UAC at it's lowest setting (off). There are things it blocks without ever asking you.

Product Design & Manufacturing Collection 2024
Sometimes you just need a good old reboot.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report