Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Winch Coil Design

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
Anonymous
827 Views, 3 Replies

Winch Coil Design

Hello,

I'm currently designing a wich and trying to use parameters to drive the dimensions of the winch. The drum has 2 flanches on both sides, so in total I now have an assembly with 3 parts. I have made a weldment.iam of this assembly for production purposes.

Next step in the process is to cut the coil for the cable that will be winded around the drum and partialy over a flanche. 

So this requires the coil to go over multiple parts in the assembly of the winch. The problem I'm having is that there is no Coil function in the Assembly mode. 

Are there anny other ways of making a coil pattern go over several parts? I have attached a .iam file of the drum and side flanches.

Thanks in advance!

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
JDMather
in reply to: Anonymous

An assembly file (*.iam) is only a list of hyperlinks to the part files (*.ipt) and a record of assembly constraints (and a bit more).

You must include the part files.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 3 of 4
cmharb
in reply to: JDMather

Ive not seen your model because there are no ipt's. as stated above. So I'm guessing your design a bit. I think from what you have stated that it looks a bit like a cotton reel...

I would create anther ipt to represent the cable. Then start with a 3d sketch and create a helix, then sweep a circle along this helix. Then constrain the CL of the helix to the centre of the cotton reel and the two origin planes that intersect the helix to the origin planes of the cotton reel.  You can then sketch the rest of the cable route and sweep along that.

Sketches in assemblies are not recommended, (well where i work) because they can be problematic, ie loose their origin points etc.

w7u-64sp1,iv14,intel.xeon.e5-2620 0 @2.00 2.00-32gb,gtx560-4gb
Message 4 of 4
Anonymous
in reply to: cmharb

Oops, I forgot to include the parts lists Smiley Embarassed

Here are the corresponding .ipt files.

Mean while I have tried some things myself like deriving this .iam and then using the coil function to cut away material.

I'm not sure if this is the "right" way or if there is a better way to making a coil cut away material from multiple parts.

Edit: The welds might be out of place in this file because I'm still continuing to work in this file. So you can ignore the welds.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report