Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will there be Oculus Rift Support for Inventor ?

46 REPLIES 46
Message 1 of 47
adekrom
2737 Views, 46 Replies

Will there be Oculus Rift Support for Inventor ?

Would be great....

Product Engineer
46 REPLIES 46
Message 21 of 47
aaddekrom
in reply to: JavaLodge

I have the 3D connexion space-explorer now for almost 10 years and i can't live without it.

I can tell you it is a good investment. Besides that, it's a beautiful object to look at.

As for the oculus; when i took it to work to show at my colleagues they were very excited, my boss wanted to pay for it immediately,.... well i said no off course.  🙂

Message 22 of 47
aaddekrom
in reply to: dgorsman

Well, motion sickness is different for everybody.....
It felt also like a little exciting....
Besides, it fades after using the oculus for a while...
Message 23 of 47
aaddekrom
in reply to: JavaLodge

I'm a professional too (24 years working with autodesk, betatester for 12 years), i think this .....is a ......

Message 24 of 47
blair
in reply to: aaddekrom

It might be nice to "dazzle" a client but that's about it in my opinion as well. If they changed the name to this song it would be appropriate: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QfPg_GzC-HA

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 25 of 47
aaddekrom
in reply to: blair

Wow, is THAT what you watch when on yt ? 

Message 26 of 47
blair

When dealing with some of the users on this forum, it hurts less than the typical head against the wall routine 🙂

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 27 of 47
aaddekrom
in reply to: blair

find me on linkedin, i´ll accept your invitation....
Message 28 of 47
KWKnoll

Aaddekcrom..

I too have used such a perifual. I was using a Spaceball left-handed, mouse right-handed, operating CATIA. I was incredible the dexterity after about an hour of use. I was an incredible added benefits I got. But again many people could just not craspe doing two things at once. Maybe the same crown reluctant to try something, even though intermittently, as another display device. 

Message 29 of 47
aaddekrom
in reply to: KWKnoll

well, what do you do when driving cars !
2 hands, 2 feet, 2 eyes, 1........

Message 30 of 47
howardlee306

I have the dev kit of the Rift and while it is fun, and could be useful to show clients machinery from their "own" perspective, or walkthrough plants and such, I do not think I would find it useful in day to day activities. Not to say that a few years from now the tech and demand changes and we're all doing it.

Message 31 of 47
KWKnoll
in reply to: howardlee306

Ray,

I like your statement “the more naturally I can work with my computer”. Remember 20-25 years ago when AutoCAD did not have colors? And we not think twice of ordering a PC with at least two screens. Screens I agree, will always be part of our workstations.

Also you wrote “clients own perspective”, also operator in manufacturing. Have facilitated very large-scale VR rooms, it was always feels liberating to see marketing or engineers that at a start of a project would stay silent on traditional product development rendering or prints. Then when we invite them into the VR room, they are chatterboxes discussing what they “know” they see. Happened many many times. Some just can’t read plans or isometrics.

But I think where the biggest gain is the added Stereo imagery. Without a HMD, you are not going to get a comfortable “immersive” stereo pair image that reacts so rapidly to head movement. From what I have seen at numerous tradeshows, and AU’s of the last 25 years. There is hands down “nothing” better out there than the Oculus Rift. I have had a SDK1 since the Kickstarter rolled out, and everyone that has tried has been floored with the lack of latency, the comfort, and believability. Now that the SDK2 is orderable, and its far improved from SDK1, every design firm should buy one just for the purpose of getting their team acclimated to its abilities.

If you are older than 45 you remember the ViewMaster 3D. Ho how it allowed you to feel you were really there. Our childlike minds allowed that to happen, but damb is was cool.

Message 32 of 47
KWKnoll
in reply to: adekrom

Hello Autodesk Engineers – this is your forum????

My biggest “Hope” is that if there are a group of Autodesk Engineers that are reading this, have the Rift, that would stop building apps for high school students to model clay dogs, or build spaceship out of laser cardboard,

But would  give a plug-n-play for Autodesk programs that support “stereo” – like Showcase that already supports stereo.

I did speak to Carl Bass about this exact thing two years ago at AU - still shacking my head he had no idea what was coming.

Wondering if autodesk is inbed with Sony, Microsoft, or anther manf. that is limiting them from moving?

Message 33 of 47
dgorsman

I wouldn't expect a CEO of a major technical company to understand such issues.  Their job is to manage the people, the money, and the stockholders, not the ground-level technology.  Even if there are plans they cannot (and should not) be publicly discussed for a variety of business reasons.

Naturally, we can all guess at "what is coming" and every one of us can be completely wrong.

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Message 34 of 47
KWKnoll

dgorsman.

Thanks for your insight. True that he's got bigger fish to fry, but his peple now are raising new frontiers...

I am posting this now, so I can go back in time to show my feelings on this topic, but mark my words that Carl Bass mentions in his Keynote at the next AU something around the lines of "designing in virtual space", "stepping into your virtual design", "Autodesk is working on... for your HMD", "using a virtual design portal for you clients".... that I know will happen, now I just need to get my boss to graciously send me again to AU..

I would also think his people are knowing when he's mentioned in the Autodesk Community Forums. Will be nice to see them pipe-in.. (hint hint)

Message 35 of 47
JDMather

@dgorsman wrote:

I wouldn't expect a CEO of a major technical company to understand such issues.  Their job is to manage the people, the money, and the stockholders, not the ground-level technology.  ...

I think you might be surprised to know what Carl Bass knows about ground-level technology.  I was at a meeting last year where he answered a users question with a "ground-level technology" response that left me wondering, "Why doesn't he say stuff like this during his keynotes?"   

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 36 of 47
dgorsman
in reply to: JDMather

The statement wasn't intended to be exclusive.  Indeed, some executives know quite a bit about their field, especially when they have worked their way up from the ranks.  Its just a nice suprise when it does happen.

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Message 37 of 47
AndrewSears

Hi All,

I had a handful of FIRST Robotics interns this summer and one of them spent time trying to get the Oculus to work with Inventor Flow design.  The biggest problem we ran into was a lack of API objects within Inventor.  My guess is some 3rd party application will need to be developed and a few API objects will need to be exposed to make this work anytime soon.  To make this work as a design tool we would need to ignore the physical mouse and keyboard and have some UI in camera that uses special gloves to manipulate data in the VR world.  From what we were able to get working, the framerate was around 3 fps (terrible) and since you can't see the keyboard nothing constructive can be modeled with our current method of working.  

Maybe this thread can be a starting point for someone wanting to try this and an Ideastation post can be the main area where customer (developers) can add information supporting what is required on the API side to make this happen.  I looked in the Ideastation but did not see a post in there requesting VR support.  If you submitted one, can you add the link to this thread?  

From a visualization/marketing/sales POV coupled with a 3D motion controller this could be an awesome experience.  We are still moving forward with testing and I would like to see where other people go with this.  If you are seriously working on a plug-in for this to work with Inventor please send me a private message with your contact info. 

Thanks,

Andy 

Message 38 of 47
KWKnoll
in reply to: AndrewSears

Andy,

Wow you are the first (from my tracking) from Autodesk to utter the phase Oculus Rift. It is exciting to hear that the Oculus was in the halls of AD. I would think Showcase or Revit would be a better application to embrace the features of a HMD. Do you know if others at Autodesk that have the Oculus Rift? It would be spectacular if Carl Bass would use the word “Imursive” in his keynote at AU.

Ken

Message 39 of 47
SBix26

If Carl Bass used the word "Imursive" nobody would know what he meant, unless they mistakenly heard it as "immersive" instead...

Message 40 of 47
AndrewSears

Hey Ken,

We have a few units floating around the company.  It is a cool idea and it pains me to say this but the framework is just not there to support VR with the modeling environments yet.  

Would you fill out a detailed Ideastation request for VR support with Inventor and link to this thread?  The product management team can review the details and if the community support is there it can be taken to the next level and researched.  This has to show a clear benefit to you and not something that will come and go with time.  

Thanks,

Andy 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report