Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will my model break

15 REPLIES 15
Message 1 of 16
EdwardCChamberlain
550 Views, 15 Replies

Will my model break

I've created a model in inventor that is a plate with two pins coming off of it. (Made from ABS)

what i was wondering was weather there was a way to test wether the pin would snap when a force is aplied to it? I'm also interested in how much it will flex But it isn't essential.

how can I do this in inventor?? 

Thanks Ed. 🙂

15 REPLIES 15
Message 2 of 16

Ed,

You would have to do a stress analysis in Inventor.

What version of Inventor do you have?

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden
(Colossians 3:23-25)

Message 3 of 16

im using 2013, will have a look at that link. so far ive only managed to make it bend the part? :S 

Message 4 of 16

so as i understand if i see red anywhere in my simulation: It will break? 

Thanks

Ed.

Message 5 of 16

Attach your file here.

Inventor does not do fracture analysis.

It will show you where part goes beyond elastic deformation into plastic deformation.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 6 of 16

Regretably i cant attach the actual design file but i will attach a demonstration piece when i get back to my computer.

So the plastic deformantion is a permenant change? Whereas elastic deformation is reversable? If so then i would require no plastic deformation. 

Thanks Ed. 

Message 7 of 16

Ive attached a model. I want to apply pressure along the x and z axis to the top of the thinner rod. And then id want to know wether that rod would snap off. 

Thanks Ed.

Message 8 of 16

There is no material assigned.

Inventor doesn't do fracture analysis.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

EESignature

Message 9 of 16

it should be assigned ABS plastic, and ok is there a way of finding out wether it will be irreverably dammaged? 

Message 10 of 16

@EdwardCChamberlain wrote:

Ive attached a model. I want to apply pressure along the x and z axis to the top of the thinner rod.

Thanks Ed.

Along the x and z where?  Equal in each direction?

EESignature

Message 11 of 16
JDMather
in reply to: JDMather

What is your safety factor?

Are you intending displacement as intentional?

If so, do you have a target displacement?

Do you have a target pressure (or force)?

EESignature

Message 12 of 16

@EdwardCChamberlain wrote:

Ive attached a model. I want to apply pressure along the x and z axis to the top of the thinner rod. And then id want to know wether that rod would snap off

Of course it will , or at least at some point)  bend over and not return to original condition.  Do you have some target parameters?

EESignature

Message 13 of 16

For the X and Y one direction along either, it doesnt matter which because its round. 

And I want to work out at what force it will become deformed at. Ideally it would be good for it to be subjected to 2.5N and still be "good as new".

My question is really how do i use the stress analysis and how do i interpritate the results

Message 14 of 16

It sounds like you need to hire an engineer.  Stress analysis isn't something you can learn from a discussion forum, or even a program tutorial.  You must have a solid mechanical engineering foundation to be able to decide if the results you get from the analysis are even worth anything.

Stress analysis is all about making acceptable assumptions to simplify the model, and choosing the correct input to examine a specific problem.  If you don't understand the principles of mechanical design, you won't know which assumptions are acceptable, or which inputs are correct, or even if the results are close to reality.

Message 15 of 16

ok thanks, i cant afford to do that im a student!! i guess ill just for the make it and then poke it to see if its good approch 🙂 

Thanks Ed. 

Message 16 of 16

Nothing is better than prototyping and physical testing!  Smiley Very Happy

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report