Why? Why? Why? Why?...

34 Views, 66 Replies
11-05-2002 07:22 PM
...Is R6 so &*^%&^$ SLOW?!!!

WHY??????????

P4 1.6 GHz
1 GB PC 800 RDRAM
PNY XGL 750

5.3 ran a heck of a lot faster than R6 IN EVERY FACET OF THE SOFTWARE!!!!!

Management was complaining how much slower we are on Inventor than we used to be on SolidWorks, NOW I HAVE TO TELL THEM INVENTOR IS EVEN SLOWER! GREAT!!!!
ehalberg
Message 2 of 67 (34 Views)

Re: Why? Why? Why? Why?...

11-05-2002 08:30 PM in reply to: edarlak
Part of your problem is probably the memory leak that R6 seems to have at the moment. If you can watch the memory usage by process, you'll see it continue to creep up until it bogs your machine down. I'm really hoping they fix this in the patch. Just out of curiosity, why did you switch from Solid Works? The reason I ask is that next week, I'm going to be evaluating SW because Inventor is so bad my boss wants to switch.

-Erik
Distinguished Contributor
jmartzig
Message 3 of 67 (34 Views)

11-05-2002 08:36 PM in reply to: edarlak
instead of your complaining, why don't you just go back to 5.3, then be just as productive as you were before? -Joe
*Yeandle, Laurence
Message 4 of 67 (34 Views)

Why? Why? Why? Why?...

11-05-2002 08:42 PM in reply to: edarlak
Speaking from experience of course :smileyhappy:

--
Laurence,
--

style="PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; BORDER-LEFT: #000000 2px solid; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px">
instead
of your complaining, why don't you just go back to 5.3, then be just as
productive as you were before? -Joe
jmartzig
Message 5 of 67 (34 Views)

11-05-2002 08:49 PM in reply to: edarlak
speaking from experience from others on this release laurence. i'm still on IV5. never upgraded to 5.3 cuz i was in between projects. then by the time 5.3 was at sp2, IV6 was right around the corner. i'll wait till SP1 comes out for IV6, then install. BACKING up everything first of course. sick of these whining little #itches that can't deal with a new software release that may have bugs. -Joe
jmartzig
Message 6 of 67 (34 Views)

Re:

11-05-2002 09:06 PM in reply to: edarlak
Erik, and good luck on the SW switch - see post "ADESK AND THE COMPETITION" post. if your boss thinks the grass is greener on the other side, and SW is going to be his knight in shining armour, he is sadly mistaken. -Joe
edarlak
Message 7 of 67 (34 Views)

Re:

11-05-2002 09:17 PM in reply to: edarlak
It's not just myself using Inventor, we have 2 "power" users & 2 "casual" users. We've already migrated to R6. When I get a new release, I migrate and move forward. If Autodesk does not want to hear my complaints, the GET IT RIGHT THE FIRST TIME!

I don't have time to be switching back and forth between releases, we expect it to work, that is what we pay for!

As for switching from SolidWorks, new management came in about 1-1/2 years ago, and forced us to switch because our new sister company was using Inventor. I would welcome the chance to go back to SolidWorks, but we are in it pretty deep with Inventor, and don't want to keep flip-flopping from one CAD system to another.

I've used both CAD systems extensively, for large assemblies & normal detailing. Inventor has the edge in drawing mode, but SolidWorks is definitly better in model mode, especially large assemblies, mainly because of configurations. BTW, we converted SW geometry to AutoCAD for our drawings, that's why we were faster, we did not have to wait 10-20 minutes to open up a drawing, or create a section view, etc. We would be doing the same with Inventor, but the conversion from .idw to .dwg is not as good as the SW conversion.
jmartzig
Message 8 of 67 (34 Views)

Re:

11-05-2002 09:20 PM in reply to: edarlak
and if you think it's all sunny skies over at SW, then why don't you go over to there discussion group and check things out. -Joe
edarlak
Message 9 of 67 (34 Views)

11-05-2002 09:22 PM in reply to: edarlak
Yeah, that's great Joe, pay for a product and don't install it becuase you know it's going to ^%*&!

Sorry, we don't do that here, our projects are not stacked linear, we have many going at one time, there is no break. When customers buy our machines, they expect them to work as advertised, and they do. Are you saying I can't expect the same from AutoDesk?, the biggest name in CAD?

If you can't stand all the whining, I suggest you learn how to ingnore it, because with a software release that is this bad, it's going to be all over this board, deal!
edarlak
Message 10 of 67 (34 Views)

Re:

11-05-2002 09:26 PM in reply to: edarlak
Joe, are you in it with AutoDesk in some way? Why would I waste my time at a SW board, when I'm having problems with Inventor? I have the right to be angry when the whole world knows R6 is slower, I call my VAR to ask them why, and they say "we don't notice anything different" WHAT???
Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.
Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions or visit the Installation and Licensing Forum to get help installing your software.