Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why? Why? Why? Why?...

66 REPLIES 66
Message 1 of 67
edarlak
543 Views, 66 Replies

Why? Why? Why? Why?...

...Is R6 so &*^%&^$ SLOW?!!!

WHY??????????

P4 1.6 GHz
1 GB PC 800 RDRAM
PNY XGL 750

5.3 ran a heck of a lot faster than R6 IN EVERY FACET OF THE SOFTWARE!!!!!

Management was complaining how much slower we are on Inventor than we used to be on SolidWorks, NOW I HAVE TO TELL THEM INVENTOR IS EVEN SLOWER! GREAT!!!!
66 REPLIES 66
Message 2 of 67
ehalberg
in reply to: edarlak

Part of your problem is probably the memory leak that R6 seems to have at the moment. If you can watch the memory usage by process, you'll see it continue to creep up until it bogs your machine down. I'm really hoping they fix this in the patch. Just out of curiosity, why did you switch from Solid Works? The reason I ask is that next week, I'm going to be evaluating SW because Inventor is so bad my boss wants to switch.

-Erik
Message 3 of 67
jmartzig

instead of your complaining, why don't you just go back to 5.3, then be just as productive as you were before? -Joe
Message 4 of 67
Anonymous

Speaking from experience of course 🙂

--
Laurence,
--

style="PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; BORDER-LEFT: #000000 2px solid; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px">
instead
of your complaining, why don't you just go back to 5.3, then be just as
productive as you were before? -Joe
Message 5 of 67
jmartzig

speaking from experience from others on this release laurence. i'm still on IV5. never upgraded to 5.3 cuz i was in between projects. then by the time 5.3 was at sp2, IV6 was right around the corner. i'll wait till SP1 comes out for IV6, then install. BACKING up everything first of course. sick of these whining little #itches that can't deal with a new software release that may have bugs. -Joe
Message 6 of 67
jmartzig

Erik, and good luck on the SW switch - see post "ADESK AND THE COMPETITION" post. if your boss thinks the grass is greener on the other side, and SW is going to be his knight in shining armour, he is sadly mistaken. -Joe
Message 7 of 67
edarlak

It's not just myself using Inventor, we have 2 "power" users & 2 "casual" users. We've already migrated to R6. When I get a new release, I migrate and move forward. If Autodesk does not want to hear my complaints, the GET IT RIGHT THE FIRST TIME!

I don't have time to be switching back and forth between releases, we expect it to work, that is what we pay for!

As for switching from SolidWorks, new management came in about 1-1/2 years ago, and forced us to switch because our new sister company was using Inventor. I would welcome the chance to go back to SolidWorks, but we are in it pretty deep with Inventor, and don't want to keep flip-flopping from one CAD system to another.

I've used both CAD systems extensively, for large assemblies & normal detailing. Inventor has the edge in drawing mode, but SolidWorks is definitly better in model mode, especially large assemblies, mainly because of configurations. BTW, we converted SW geometry to AutoCAD for our drawings, that's why we were faster, we did not have to wait 10-20 minutes to open up a drawing, or create a section view, etc. We would be doing the same with Inventor, but the conversion from .idw to .dwg is not as good as the SW conversion.
Message 8 of 67
jmartzig

and if you think it's all sunny skies over at SW, then why don't you go over to there discussion group and check things out. -Joe
Message 9 of 67
edarlak

Yeah, that's great Joe, pay for a product and don't install it becuase you know it's going to ^%*&!

Sorry, we don't do that here, our projects are not stacked linear, we have many going at one time, there is no break. When customers buy our machines, they expect them to work as advertised, and they do. Are you saying I can't expect the same from AutoDesk?, the biggest name in CAD?

If you can't stand all the whining, I suggest you learn how to ingnore it, because with a software release that is this bad, it's going to be all over this board, deal!
Message 10 of 67
edarlak

Joe, are you in it with AutoDesk in some way? Why would I waste my time at a SW board, when I'm having problems with Inventor? I have the right to be angry when the whole world knows R6 is slower, I call my VAR to ask them why, and they say "we don't notice anything different" WHAT???
Message 11 of 67
jmartzig

your problem is the same as many others on this board. it wasn't anything about a feature of inventor, other than your complaining, now how can anyone on this NG help you with your slow computer? your complaint was the same as about 100 other people posting the exact same thing. if you looked at other posts you would of seen this.
Message 12 of 67
jmartzig

and you also need to deal with software that is going to have bugs in it. what kind of DA would install software without doing research on it first to see if it will perform well. -Joe
Message 13 of 67
Anonymous

Two wrongs don't make a right.

Dave

style="PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; BORDER-LEFT: #000000 2px solid; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px">
and
if you think it's all sunny skies over at SW, then why don't you go over to
there discussion group and check things out. -Joe
Message 14 of 67
edarlak

So my computer is the problem? I want an answer as to why I noticed a huge drop in performance when I went form R5.3 to R6 on the same computer (which according to Autodesk's recommended system specs for Inventor, mine should be a screamer!)You have been un-able to help me with this issue, thanks for your input, but you're not helping.
I see that the memory leak is an issue, but R6 also uses much more CPU cycles than in the previous releases to do simple tasks like sketching a circle. I'd like to know why. If you think this is whining, so be it, just ignore me then.
Message 15 of 67
jmartzig

hoperfully SP1, rumored to be out on Nov 15th, will help your issue. -Joe
Message 16 of 67
davej

I'm no expert in the area, but I think that many of the issues here came about because of the new Shape Manager Kernal AutoDesk decided to go with. While this allows greater future development, until they get the kinks worked out of the code, we will probably see performance issues. This isn't just new features on existing software we're talking about. This is basicly a new program (IV6) designed to look a lot like old (5.3).
Message 17 of 67
edarlak

Should they not get the "kinks" out before they release it to the masses? If it's not as good as the previous version, what is the hurry?
Message 18 of 67
davej

The hurry is market share. If they lose market share, they lose money. With how cutthroat the market is right now with the way the economy the way it is, it is no surprise to see how much of a hurry the companies are in to get a product out. The idea is get them to buy now, fix their issues later.
Message 19 of 67
edarlak

So then, are we to wait for the SP1 after every release? It's probably not a bad idea, but I'm noy sure it's what we are paying for.
Message 20 of 67
davej

Yeah, well, I'm not saying ADESK will actually do that (release one good SP) but that's what is ideal. But hey...at least the SP's are free. 😕

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report