Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why use Task Scheduler to migrate files?

3 REPLIES 3
SOLVED
Message 1 of 4
iamerm
394 Views, 3 Replies

Why use Task Scheduler to migrate files?

This is probably a dumb question, but I'll ask anyway:  what is the benefit of using Task Scheduler to migrate all of my Inventor files to the latest versions?

I've upgraded several times, but I've never done a full file migration.  I've read instructions on HOW to do it, but, again, I'm not sure WHY.  Thanks in advance for any input.

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
JDMather
in reply to: iamerm

I have never used it before, but -

I suspect an obvious reason to use Task Scheduler is to do the migration why I am at home sleeping (not that I actually do that either).

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 3 of 4
Curtis_Waguespack
in reply to: iamerm

Hi  iamerm,

I think the best reason is to improve assembly performance when opening and saving large assembly files. Often when you update an assembly created in a previous version and then make a simple change you'll be presented with the need to migrate all of the component files when saving. This can be time consuming and disrupt the imidiate task at hand.

If you look at step 7 in the "Before you Begin" section of this link, you'll find a few more tools that are often important when migrating:

http://wikihelp.autodesk.com/Inventor/enu/2013/Help/0000-Installa0/0192-Data_Mig192/0193-Data_Mig193...

Another reason that this can be important, is that as Inventor evolves from new release to new release. So there can sometimes be issues with trying to open a file that was last saved in a version too far back. I don't recall the version now, but I do remember that I have dealt with a bunch of sheet metal files in the past that would not open in the lastest version, because they were last saved 3 or 4 versions back. The solution was to migrate them to a middle version, then bring them forward to the latest version. This all caused a lot of problems until that solution was figured out, and could have been avoided by migrating between each release.

More reading:

http://wikihelp.autodesk.com/Inventor/enu/2013/Help/0000-Installa0/0192-Data_Mig192/0193-Data_Mig193

I hope this helps.
Best of luck to you in all of your Inventor pursuits,
Curtis
http://inventortrenches.blogspot.com

Message 4 of 4
iamerm
in reply to: Curtis_Waguespack

Curtis,

Thank you for your reply.  That info., particularly the last link ("More reading:") you sent, was exactly what I was looking for.

Thanks again.

Eric

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report