Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why does the INV material library NOT contain Stainless Steel AISI 316?

25 REPLIES 25
Message 1 of 26
timdown73
4367 Views, 25 Replies

Why does the INV material library NOT contain Stainless Steel AISI 316?

Why does the Inventor material library not contain Stainless Steel AISI 316?  It has Stainless Steel AISI 317; why not Stainless Steel AISI 316?

-Tim U.
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10875H CPU @ 2.30GHz 2.30 GHz>Memory: 32.0 GB Ram
Op Sys: Windows 10 professional
25 REPLIES 25
Message 2 of 26
mrattray
in reply to: timdown73

I have no idea, but most of the default materials are worthless to me. I made my own custom material library and assigned it as the default in my project file.
Mike (not Matt) Rattray

Message 3 of 26
kwilson_design
in reply to: mrattray

The default material library leaves a lot to be desired and unfortunately it always has. You would think by now at least one dev would be in charge of making sure most, if not all, of the standard industry materials were in the default package from the get-go rather than relying on it's customers to 'fill in the gaps' so to speak. We're not talking about custom kevlar or anything else like that Autodesk. We're talking about regular, everyday, run-of-the-mill raw materials such as the common aluminum, steel and stainless steel grades. It would take a dev less than a day or two to create most of them. But hey, as long as we have thousands of Appearances to choose from..... Man Frustrated

Regards,
Kenny
If this post solved your issue please mark "Accept as Solution". It helps everyone...really!
Message 4 of 26
timdown73

Thanks. I thought I might be missing it or something. Crazy that INV doesn't have it. Setting up my own as you suggest is something I need to spend some time on.
-Tim U.
Message 5 of 26
mrattray
in reply to: kwilson_design

Indeed, most designers are not content with "mild steel".
Mike (not Matt) Rattray

Message 6 of 26
timdown73
in reply to: kwilson_design

Smiley WinkBoy am I glad I have all of those carpet choices!  What would we all do without them?

-Tim U.
Message 7 of 26
stephengibson76

I have been on materials today...  We have a set of generic materials which have stupid numbers on the shear modulus, concequently inventor stress analysis will reject them so you have to put a true material in.  The problem is there are so many variations and different sources of information.  S275J2 steel plate has different properties depending on thickness so we need a material for 1 to 16mm thick, another for 17 to 40mm thick etc

Agreed the autodesk material library is poor, just understand that and create your own, (this used to be a lot easier in previous releases)  its a PITA but worth it in the long term and if you decide to build a bridge out of cheese, when the bridge falls down, you know its your fault, not some underpaid, overworked data inputter putting the wrong values in for said material...

Stephen Gibson

View stephen gibson's profile on LinkedIn

Message 8 of 26
timdown73
in reply to: stephengibson76

Drat!  there goes my cheese bridge idea.  Smiley Wink

-Tim U.
Message 9 of 26
bob_holland

timdown73,

There are two methods to provide feedback to the Product Management team responsible for selecting the enhancements made in future version of Autodesk Inventor.

• Leverage the power of the community by adding a feature request as an Idea in the Inventor IdeaStation. Adding Kudos to an idea will increase the likelihood that an Idea will be included in a future release.

• Send feedback directly to the Product Management team via the portal below.

Does anyone want to share their custom material library to get him started?

Bob Holland
Autodesk Product Support
Message 10 of 26

bob.holland wrote:

Does anyone want to share their custom material library to get him started?

I have the following, but now I'm worried about the liability issues that timdown73 mentions:    Smiley Wink

• Roquefort
  • Cotija
  • Chèvre
  • Feta
  • Mozzarella
  • Cheddar
  • Gouda
  • Monterrey Jack

I hope this helps. (forgive me it's Firday afternoon at the end of a looong week!)
Best of luck to you in all of your Inventor cheese related pursuits,
Curtis
http://inventortrenches.blogspot.com

Message 11 of 26
mrattray
in reply to: bob_holland

I'd be happy to share mine, but I'm afraid it's unlikely to be very helpful. Unless you do a lot of things with Samarium Cobalt or Ceramic 8...
Mike (not Matt) Rattray

Message 12 of 26
kstate92

When it comes to the data tables and standard parts and features catalogs that ship with Inventor, to me the results have always screamed: Summer Intern, or possibly someone not even located in the same time zone (ahem).  The full-time programmers can't - or are told not to - bother with such drudge work.

KState92
Inventor Professional 2020
AutoCAD Mechanical 2022.0.1
Windows 10 Pro 64 bit - 1903
Core i7-8700 32 GB Ram
Quadro P2000
Message 13 of 26
blair

What do you mean, most designers are not content with mild steel, we only need three materials, bronze, iron and steel.

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 14 of 26
graemev
in reply to: blair

@Blair wrote:
What do you mean, most designers are not content with mild steel, we only need three materials, bronze, iron and steel.

Oooo!  Fancy-schmantzy will all the modern conveniences, what?  We're still having to get by with rock, wood, leather, and clay.  ... and the occasional lump of cheddar.  Smiley Very Happy

Message 15 of 26
kwilson_design
in reply to: graemev

Mmmm I love cheese Smiley Very Happy

Bob, the only issue with asking someone outside of Autodesk to provide a material library is that Autodesk would still be responsible for checking and correcting any typos in the material properties. So it just seems logical that they do this on their own from the start so they can manage the data and know exactly what is being entered. I agree the best way to get exposure to the devs for improvement is using the Idea Station. I voted on this one submitted last year and it's marked "Under Review" http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Inventor-IdeaStation/Materials-Materials-Materials/idi-p/3920608. How long under review means you got me. Same goes for "Accepted".

Regards,
Kenny
If this post solved your issue please mark "Accept as Solution". It helps everyone...really!
Message 16 of 26
JDMather
in reply to: kstate92

@kstate92 wrote:

....not to - bother with such drudge work.

Deep within the program there is already a rather extensive list of material properties.

I think it might become overwhelming to wade through.

Materials.PNG

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 17 of 26
mrattray
in reply to: JDMather

Where did you find that?
Mike (not Matt) Rattray

Message 18 of 26
SmithKL

Here you go......

Im using 2016 but should be similar....

Design>Bolted Connection> Plates Material>>>>>>

I imagine this has been hidden away for the benefit of the non technical user..sadly, I dont see any way of importing / coping the file......

invmats.JPG

Message 19 of 26
timdown73

So how can I find that material outside the bolted connection interface so that I can put it in my material library?

-Tim U.
Message 20 of 26
JDMather

Check with the vendor who supplies your materials

or

web sites http://www.matweb.com/

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report