Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why does the camera turn 180 degrees after selecting top plane

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
SlechteExcusesMan
2564 Views, 9 Replies

Why does the camera turn 180 degrees after selecting top plane

Hi,

I use inventor 2013. Whenever I start a new sketch and select the top plane, the camera changes so I look at the top plane but also rotates 180degrees. I really hate that the camera rotates 180 degrees because it causes me to always see the drawing upsidedown (and then change the camera... everytime...)

Is there a way to disallow inventor to cause this treason?

Kind regards,

Gerard

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
riff62
in reply to: SlechteExcusesMan

Im not sure if this is what you mean, but go to Tools>Application Options>Sketch Tab, and uncheck "Look at sketch plane on sketch creation" towards the bottom on the left.

Message 3 of 10
SlechteExcusesMan
in reply to: riff62

Hi,

I do want to look at the sketch plane but I don't want inventor to also turn the camera 180 degrees so my plane is upside down

I've added an attachment. The right part of the image shows what my viewcube looks like after I started a drawing on the top plane, the left part of the image shows what I want my viewcube to look like

Message 4 of 10

+1.  Asinine problem, been around for years, has a seemingly immediate and simple fix.  Fix the problem, please.

"Idea" post:

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Inventor-IdeaStation/Sketch-Orientation-quot-Look-At-quot-Feature/idi-...

Message 5 of 10

I would also like to see this annoying, time wasting problem fixed!

Message 6 of 10
cbenner
in reply to: NathanGMartin

Message 7 of 10
graemev
in reply to: SlechteExcusesMan

If it's any consolation, there's a fairly logical reason for the behavior.  (Annoying, yes, but logical.)

Front view: +X-axis to right, +Y-axis up

Right view: +Y-axis to right, +Z-axiz up

Top view:   +Z-axis to right, +X-axis up

Notice a pattern of sequence here?

Yes, children.  That's how it winds up inverted.

Message 8 of 10
cbenner
in reply to: graemev

@graemev wrote:

If it's any consolation, there's a fairly logical reason for the behavior.  (Annoying, yes, but logical.)

Front view: +X-axis to right, +Y-axis up

Right view: +Y-axis to right, +Z-axiz up

Top view:   +Z-axis to right, +X-axis up

Notice a pattern of sequence here?

Yes, children.  That's how it winds up inverted.

Um...

View Cube Front - +X-axis to right, +Y-axis up

fr.JPG

View Cube Right - +Z-axis to left, +Y-axis up

fr.JPG

View Cube Top - +X-axis to right, +Z-axis Down

fr.JPG

When new sketch selected on XZ Plane... View Cube Top flips upside down.

+X-axis to left, +Z-axis up

I'm no mathemtician, so I guess I need help understanding the logic.

Message 9 of 10
JLeeSaxon
in reply to: cbenner

@cbenner wrote:

Note the status of the Idea... Accepted.  It usually takes a while to get the fix implemented... annoying as it is, patience my friends.  🙂

I have to respond to this. Not to criticize you or even single out this particular bug, but given how much this software costs the amount of time it takes to get fixes implemented is not even in the same GALAXY as passably acceptable. Every time I discover a bug in an Autodesk product, I come to these forums and inevitably discover that the devs have known about it since 2003. And don't even get me started on the price per feature of the tiny annual updates. Autodesk has such a monopoly they've stopped caring even a little bit about their customers. I'm actively testing alternative products/companies and EVERYONE should be doing the same.

Lee Saxon
Ellis Photographic Design
Message 10 of 10
graemev
in reply to: cbenner

Sorry, I was thinking more specifically Sketch than View Cube.  The horizontal axis of a sketch is slightly thicker than the vertical, thus in the Right view (per the view cube) horizontal is "up", and so on.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report