Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why can´t I retrieve dimensions for an iPart or iAssembly?

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
emilpettersson
587 Views, 6 Replies

Why can´t I retrieve dimensions for an iPart or iAssembly?

I have tried to use the command retrieve dimensions for an iPart and iAssembly but no dimensions will appear, why is that? What am I doing wrong?

Best regards,
Emil Pettersson
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
in reply to: emilpettersson

You're doing nothing wrong.  We currently do
not support retrieved mode dimensions for iparts, iassemlies or
ifeatures.

--
-Andrew Faix
Product Design Lead
Inventor Core
Applications

style="PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; BORDER-LEFT: #000000 2px solid; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px">
I
have tried to use the command retrieve dimensions for an iPart and iAssembly
but no dimensions will appear, why is that? What am I doing wrong? Best
regards, Emil Pettersson
Message 3 of 7

Hi,
I totally agree with Andrew.
I should add some additional notice. For current Inventor, you can't retrieve dimension for each member file. But there is a way to retrieve dimension for active factory member (Actually, this is i-part file not member file). Step: Edit the base view->select tab model status->change the i-part member to active factory member. Now, you can retrieve dimension for it.
Thanks,

Guy Xing
Quality Assurance Engineer
Inventor Team
Autodesk, Inc.
Message 4 of 7

I can´t get it to work. It won´t retrieve the dimensions, as before the command can be used but there are not any dimensions retrieved when I choose the view and its components/features.

//Emil
Message 5 of 7

Emil ,

Please make sure that the dimensions are on the parallel position of the views. If they are on vertical, they will not shown on the views which you wants retrieved. That is why some dimension of the components/features can be retrieved. If you still can't slove this question, please send me the deport, I will try to find out the reason.

Thanks,

Guy Xing
Quality Assurance Engineer
Inventor Team
Autodesk, Inc.
Message 6 of 7
DougH24
in reply to: emilpettersson

Has this functionally ever been improved? If not what good are IParts?  If we have a Generic component that has one or two diameters that change to create 15 different sub components do I need to model each of these as separate components in order to be able to make a detail drawing of each of them?  Is the IPart functionality not similar to the Family Tables in Pro-e?  We’re using Autodesk Inventor Professional 2011.   Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Message 7 of 7
LOONYLEN
in reply to: DougH24

Hello??? Could someone from Autodesk please reply with an answer as to whether this has been improved or is on the list for implementation???
Senior Designer/Cad Administrator
Inventor 2012, w/SP2
Vault Collaboration 2012
Dell Precision T3500, Intel Xeon CPU
W3680 @3.33GHz, 16.0 GB of RAM
Microsoft Windows 7 Pro, 64 Bit Edition
Version 2009, w/SP1

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report