Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why are the My Home Thumbnails filling my Temp Folder?

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
mthomas
442 Views, 5 Replies

Why are the My Home Thumbnails filling my Temp Folder?

Since one of the recent Inventor updates (sorry don't know which one exactly) we have noticed on all our systems that our local temp folders are being populated with 4-character jpegs which seem to be the thumbnail previews from the Inventor 2015 My Home page. These files are never removed and it does not appear to have anything to do with Inventor crashing as we are fairly stable and its occuring to everyone.

Is anyone else seeing this?

How do I make it stop?

Thanks

Mike

Inventor Pro 2015 SP1

Mike Thomas

Tags (2)
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
anandax
in reply to: mthomas

The same here in Inventor 2016. There is a solution?

Message 3 of 6
johnsonshiue
in reply to: anandax

Hi! The thumbnail images represent the most frequently used files. You can go to Tools -> Application Options -> General -> go to lower right corner. Change number of Maximum recent documents to a smaller value. There should be fewer thumbnail images in %temp%. If you don't use MyHome, you can simply uncheck "Show MyHome on startup" option.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 4 of 6
-niels-
in reply to: johnsonshiue

@johnsonshiue Wasn't the "maximum open documents" option added in 2017?

I don't think there's an option pre-2017 other than right-clicking in the Home preview pane and selecting "clear all unpinned (or pinned) documents", which should delete the thumbnails from the temp directory.

You won't have any previews anymore though and it will just start rebuilding the thumbs from documents you open from that point onward.

You could also just go to the temp folder and delete the thumbs there, it's "temp" so it'll get rebuilt anyway...

Niels van der Veer
Inventor professional user & 3DS Max enthusiast
Vault professional user/manager
The Netherlands

Message 5 of 6
anandax
in reply to: johnsonshiue

Hi. There is no option for "number of Maximum recent documents". See attached screenshot.

Message 6 of 6
johnsonshiue
in reply to: -niels-

Hi Guys,

You are right. The maximum number of open doc option was added to 2017. It was not available in prior releases. One thing you could consider is to remove the list  from registry. If you feel comfortable editing registry, you could do the following.

1) Close Inventor.

2) Launch regedit.exe

3) Go to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Autodesk\Inventor\RegistryVersion20.0\Recent File List\. This is for Inventor 2016.

4) Delete the list of files.

The file thumbnails on MyHome should be gone.

Sorry for the confusion!

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report