Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Who writes the error messages?....

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
mark.young
532 Views, 9 Replies

Who writes the error messages?....

.....because they are too often no help whatsoever 😞

Inventor 2015 can't shell freeform.PNG

Why is it so long-winded? You may as well write 'Fail'. It gives no indication of what is causing the problem, no highlighting of a problem area, and no suggestion as to what to change.

I get this so much in Inventor. It's really frustrating day to day. In this case I'm trying to shell a freeform body at only 0.5mm ( I really need 3mm) and to me I can't see why it's failing.

I get a lot of cases too where 'highlight/unhighlight problem' does nothing either. It's wearing me out 😞

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
yannick3
in reply to: mark.young

Hi

Can you upload your model? to take a look

Yannick Verreault
INV PRO 2015
MS Office 2007
Win 7 pro, core i7 950, asus P6T WS
nvidia Gforce GTX 295
WD caviar black 500Go
WD caviar black 1To

Message 3 of 10
yannick3
in reply to: yannick3

Have you try without removed face

Yannick Verreault
INV PRO 2015
MS Office 2007
Win 7 pro, core i7 950, asus P6T WS
nvidia Gforce GTX 295
WD caviar black 500Go
WD caviar black 1To

Message 4 of 10
BeKirra

Without your ipt model, I guess one of sketches in your model needs to be redefined.

Expand all feature nodes by press the "+" signs in the brower.

Then you should see one or more yellow "i" or "?" marks (can't remember what is exactly) with some sketches.

Right-click the sketch then select the "redefine" option, then follow the instructions on the screen...

HTH

Please mark "Accept as Solution" and "Like" if my reply resolves the issue and it will help when others need helps.
= ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ =
A circle is the locus of a cursor, starting and ending at the same point on a plane in model space or in layout such that its distance from a given coordinates (X,Y) is always constant.
X² + Y² = C²
Message 5 of 10
johnsonshiue

Hi! It looks like the target body was created from Freeform feature, right? If yes, the body will have all faces tangent to one another. Sometimes, there may not be a suitble solution to such condition. Please attach the model here or send it to me directly (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com). I would like to understand this case better.

Thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 6 of 10
mark.young
in reply to: johnsonshiue

Hi all,

Thanks for the advice. I have attached the model. My comment was really more about the error messages: In this case "try different inputs" is so vague it is pointless.

There's no sketch involved in the freeform body here BeKirra, so I doubt that would cause a problem.

It will shell, without removing faces, at around 2mm but not 3. I need to get rid of those faces to form the hollow shape I need.

I haven't found much guidance on best way to use freeform. In Fusion360 I would have deletd the faces I don't need, then thickened the faces I kept.

Inventor won't let me delete freeform faces in Edit Form though. So I tried Delete faces from the surface commands but it wouldn't shell at all.
Therefore I needed to delete the faces as I shelled the part.

Message 7 of 10
WHolzwarth

You can find the problem zones step by step, and work around them.

I've used Boundarypatch29 and Sculpt2 for getting an approximated 3mm shell at these spots.

Walter

Walter Holzwarth

EESignature

Message 8 of 10
mark.young
in reply to: WHolzwarth

Hello Walter, many thanks for your time on this.

I can see how you managed to fix it. I guess the radius on that edge was too tight.

But how did you track down the problem area?

Message 9 of 10
WHolzwarth

Splitting into 2 bodies - trying shell for one body - if ok, splitting the other body and trying the same there.

Smiley Wink And so on, and on, and on ..

Well, they seem to recognize, that problems are existing. Now they only need to show these spots in a different color, like in collision detection.

Walter Holzwarth

EESignature

Message 10 of 10
mark.young
in reply to: WHolzwarth

I see....I assume that you would agree that it would be better then, if it highlighted the area on the first attempt!

With enough time, you can find these problems but my boss normally does not give me enough time!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report