Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Who do I bill for Time Lost due to Crashes?

44 REPLIES 44
Message 1 of 45
GSE_Dan_A
1530 Views, 44 Replies

Who do I bill for Time Lost due to Crashes?

C:\dos\run\rant

What is the address of the person to bill for time lost due to Inventor crashing?  This is getting ridiculous! Every week its crashing when performing the most simplest of tasks! I was warned of upgrading to 2014 but decided to bite the bullet and take a chance.  Well that bullet has pierced me wayyyy too many times as of late! I have used 2011 and 2012 with great success! Sure I had the odd crash here or there, but 2014 is like driving in the Daytona 500 where every driver is blind and drunk! Today I did about 25 minutes of work and went to go edit some text... blue loading circle of death appeared and then boom! CER form appeared.  I feel real bad about my boss... he spends all this money on a product that for the most part takes us 3 steps forward and then 1 step back.  I guess I should set my save reminder to every minuteSmiley Sad

C:\dos\end\rant

GSE Consultants Inc.
Windsor, ON. Canada
44 REPLIES 44
Message 2 of 45
jletcher
in reply to: GSE_Dan_A

I understand your frustration I too have ask that.

But to try and help you get going with maybe less crashes when you installed Inventor did you turn this to never notify (see pic) and did you turn off spy software and virus software?

Also if you would list your computer specs will help try to fix your issues.

Did You.JPG

Message 3 of 45
GSE_Dan_A
in reply to: jletcher

Thank you James.  I installed INV 2014 as per recommendations (similar to how I have installed 2011 and 2012).  My computer specs are as follows....HP Z600 Workstation

Intel Xeon ES640 @ 2.67 GHz 2.66 GHz (2 processors)

12.0 GB Ram

64 Bit Operating System

Windows 7 Pro

NVidia Quadro 4000 Video Card

I just get so frusturated because I really do enjoy using Inventor and it makes my job a HECK of a lot easier than using ACAD.  But when you constantly lose time and have to re-do things over and over, I can only take so much.  I hate telling my boss "Welli I was almost finished but then Inventor crashed and now I am re-doing 20 minutes worth of work"

GSE Consultants Inc.
Windsor, ON. Canada
Message 4 of 45
jletcher

Does it crash when you do something the same or is it random?

Is this a clean install or do you still have 2011 and 2012 loaded?

If a clean install did you also delete all the files left over and do a registry clean?

Message 5 of 45
MikahB

Have you also done the usual video card driver update recommendation?  I actually just had to back up a driver version on my card (a GeForce, not a Quadro) to fix a crashing error in Inventor.  Easier problem to solve for me since the driver was the only change between stable and wipeout.

Also, are you sending in the CER information?  If so, might be worth following up directly with Autodesk to see what suggestions they might have.  I'm still primarily using 2013 even though I have 2014 installed (because of the raytrace fail in 2014) but I have not had 2014 crash on me while using it for hours at a time.  The only good news is that there is very likely a solution to your issue.

Mikah Barnett
All Angles Design
Product Design Suite Ultimate 2014
Windows 7 Professional x64
Intel i7-3770k @ 4.5GHz
32GB DDR3-2400 RAM
GeForce GTX 670 4GB
Message 6 of 45
Lancasterm

From a CAD manager point of view (and don't take this as I'm blaming you for your current struggle - I understand your frustration), but in my opinion I would say your lost time should be billed backed to you.....

Granted we all want the latest version when it comes to operating system and software...  However I hear from some many people how they jumped off the edge implement a new version and then "complain" about how much time is lost in doing so.   So I ask, what was your implementation plan?   Did you test the version on a separate box using your models?  Did you talk to other users or companies using this version?  What are the settings that you need to properly configure your workstation correctly?  Do you really need this version?  Can you wait at least 6 months to implement it (while some of the bugs are worked out)? 

Just some food for thought...

Smiley Happy

Message 7 of 45
jletcher
in reply to: Lancasterm

I would have to disagree with you on that Lancasterm If I paid 10,000 for software it should work with minor bugs.

But as you can see I will not upgrade till they get back on track and my clients are dropping subscription till they do so..

Message 8 of 45
mcgyvr

@GSE_Dan_A wrote:

I was warned of upgrading to 2014 but decided to bite the bullet and take a chance.  

C:\dos\end\rant

"return to sender"

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 9 of 45
dgorsman
in reply to: jletcher

Doesn't matter how much you paid for it, as it isn't work-for-hire.  Thats where both sides are bound to a contract saying X amount of money is being provided in exchange for a program with (feature list here) as agreed to by both parties.  On the other hand, Inventor and other commercially available products are licensed (not sold) as-is.  The onus is on the consumer to ensure it does what they need, to install it properly, ensure the hardware is appropriate, the users are properly trained in both the software and field, and so on.  The developer isn't obligated to fix any problems or add any features although they may do so when it makes sense.

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Message 10 of 45
jletcher
in reply to: dgorsman

I disagree with you also in the feature list was not a list of bugs so are you saying they sold it under false pretense?

Also they did not tell me they was taking out my classic.. (had too)

But talking about this does not help this man out....

Message 11 of 45
GSE_Dan_A
in reply to: dgorsman

While I understand what you are getting at, the frusturating part is I installed it like the other previous versions (which worked fairly well for me) and now I am presented with crashes that should never of happen.  The crashes are random and sparatic!  For example, I double clicked to change existing text.  I usually refrain from ranting about products, especially in the public eye, but this has been happening so frequent and I am "under the gun" that I just had to vent.  I understand that it could very well be an error on my end, which I will accept and apologize if that is the case.  I suppose my expectations are too high?! Or I assumed that if it worked before, then it should work again (regarding the installation).  When I get some down time, I will do a clean uninstall and retry.

Sorry again for the public rant...Smiley Embarassed

GSE Consultants Inc.
Windsor, ON. Canada
Message 12 of 45
dgorsman

No problem.  As rants go, its not bad.  The meatware is one of the hardest parts of the system to diagnose, especially when its doing the diagnosing. 🙂  It could be worse - at least you've got sunny skies out east.  I'm in Calgary...

I wouldn't say you're expectations are too high.  There might be some gremlins lurking around in your specific system which aren't immediately apparent, and are unlikely to be diagnosed without physically sitting at the computer.  We *all* hate trying to solve those problems.  Sometimes AutoDesk drops the ball, too.

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Message 13 of 45
ic198

<rant>

I sympathise- I have just 'upgraded' from 2013- which had finally got reasonably stable- to 2014. With 2013 it had got to the point where I was counting crashes in #/month- I am now back to #/day.

Is it unreasonable to think that IV 2014 should be IV 2013 SP3 i.e. like the last release, but with a new startup screen, a couple of new features (slots in sketches, whatever) and generally improved/more stable?

Why is there this acceptance that you shouldn't upgrade until SP2? Isn't that tacit acceptance by the entire IV community that anything prior to SP2 is not fit for purpose? That means early adopters like you and me are basically beta testers?

</rant>

Message 14 of 45
BLHDrafting

From a CAD Managers perspective I never install the latest version. I'm in a production environment where I can't (or won't) deal with problems in cutting edge software. I have to ensure that the drawings get to the floor and made with the minimum of time lag.

Cutting edge is what the latest Inventor release is. I always wait for the first service pack to come out before I even contemplate upgrading. From memory the 2014 SP1 came out pretty soon after Inventor was released, so I'll be waiting till Feb/March 2014 before I upgrade.

I feel your pain. But you've got to expect some problems and frustration with new software and possibly new hardware and OS.

Brendan Henderson

Web www.blhdrafting.com.au
Twitter @BLHDrafting

Windows 7 x64 -64 GB Ram, Intel Xeon E5-1620 @ 3.6 GHz
ATI FirePro V7800 2 GB, 180 GB SSD & 1 TB HDD, Inv R2016 PDSU SP1 (Build 210), Vault 2016 Professional Update 1 (Build 21.1.4.0)
Message 15 of 45
not2013

I will never purchase any more software form autodesk.  Mech2013 cannot open any .dwg files presently.  It can only crash.   I am now wondering if it will ever work again.

Can they make their software any worse?

The amount of time I've had to waste due to goin to 2013 (both mech and inventor) is more than i care to calcluate.

You waste money when you buy this horrible software, and then you waste more money due to extra time you have to waste to get it to work.

I recommend everyone file fraud complaints against autodesk and the resellers of autodesk products.

Edited by
Discussion_Admin

Message 16 of 45
inventorsucks

Inventor, and Vault both suck, Autodesk should be ashamed of the crap product(s) they put out. Us being the client, are subject to upgrades (lol upgrades, solidedge was better in 2000, than inventor is in 2014) which cause havoc, loss of time and fustration. Autodesk, and its employees alike need to understand we are here to make drawings, a final product, not trouble shoot computer issues, or try and figure out what is the best way to access drawings from Vault (don't open your drawings from Vault, Inventor is to stupid to know that it has the drawing open or checked out)

Again these two programs are sub -par at best

Tech. support sucks from both Autodesk and its vendors

please copy and repaste this if you agree

Message 17 of 45
cbenner
in reply to: inventorsucks

Welcome to the forums, you're off to a great start.

I love it when a user's first post is rant about how bad these products are, rather than a specific complaint or question.  In my humble opinion this falls under the category of (like my ol' ma used to say)... If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all.

If you read my posts in here, you'll note that I am not all sunshine and puppies about Autodesk products.  I complain as much as the next user... but I do so about specific issues I am trying to fix.  I ask for help, and when I can I offer it.

Just my opinion.

Message 18 of 45
blair
in reply to: cbenner

I would make sure that I've installed all Updates for your product. I can't say that IV2014 is worse than IV2013, I really don't get a lot of crashes. I would be hard pressed to remember the last crash with IV2014. I am careful with my systems and defrag the HD and Windows Registry and keep all the Temp files and Caches cleaned. I do save my work with fairly short intervals (the Ctrl^S) keyboard command is used a lot. When I create a new IPT, IAM and IDW I save it right away.

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 19 of 45

Hi, Sorry to hear you are having issues, but I have found Inventor to very good with regards to crashes etc., especially when compared to pro-e which I used previously. Anyone who has updated to a new version of pro-e and tried to use the same config.pro will know what I mean. On the few occasions I have had an issue, I have found them to be related to windows updates and have disabled the automatic update option.
Message 20 of 45
Orest_iy

I have the same picture with 2014.

It crushes ten times more than 2012 on absolutely different and pretty "peaceful" reasons.

I did not use the 2013 and stayed at 2012 for two years and switched to 2014 after the SP was issued in hope

they would have enough time to fix everything.

I always click on "send greetings to Autodesk" and they send me robot like answers 

"would you please send us files lead to crush" but it looks like I should send them all my projects for now. 

Autodesk said as long I touched 2013 and if I would cancel the Subscription I should stay on last version,

i.e. 2013, so I was forced to 2014, vicious marketing trick...

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report