Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which NVIDIA graphics card to use

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
sgermond
2269 Views, 9 Replies

Which NVIDIA graphics card to use

I'm currently upgrading to a new laptop and am using Autocad 2011 & Inventor 2011. Debating which graphics card I should go with.

NVIDIA Quadro FX 1800M

or

NVIDIA Quadro FX 2800M

Would there be a significantly noticeable difference in performance?

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
blair
in reply to: sgermond

You should be able to compare the spec's/numbers on the cards at the Nvidia.com web-site. If you are working on large assemblies go with the 2800 card.

With the move the last number of years in Inventor from OpenGL to D3D, Quadro cards (OpenGL) aren't really required. This being said currently all my equipment is running Quadro cards (still have some OpenGL applications). A fast GeForce "gammer" card should work well as well.

Possibly, the next system I will go to a couple of fast "gammer" cards in tandem SLI.

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 3 of 10
Dennis_Jeffrey

I no longer run any Quadros. I "retired" the last one about a year ago. My tests revealed that on IV 2010 and higher, the Geforce 1GB cards were actually a little faster than the best of the Quadro's performance. Today, I'm running about 15 systems with a mix of Geforce and ATI "gaming" cards with no real adverse effects. Save your money and up your RAM.

Please mark this response as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question.

Subscribe to the free digital "The Creative Inventor Magazine" now available at: http://teknigroup....

XP64 SP2, GeForce 9800GT-1GB, Driver: 6.14.12.7061, 8GB Ram, AMD Athlon II 3.2 Ghz
Laptop: Win7-64 Pro, 4GB, ATI Graphics on board, 2012 Ultimate, IV2011 or 2010 Pro, all SP's
Message 4 of 10
coreyparks
in reply to: Dennis_Jeffrey

Dennis your running a bunch of different Autodesk apps right?  How about Navisworks?  I am hoping to get an upgrade here in the near future and the big CAD cards are a bit of a hindrance.  Besides the FX3700 I have in my machine has so many issues I can't really get any worse. 

Please mark this response "Accept as solution" if it answers your question.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Corey Parks
Message 5 of 10
michaeldavis7418

I'm with Dennis,

I'm using GeForce 9800GT/1GB and it works great. Cost me $100.00 and I haven't had any problems with it.

Up the Ram by saving on the card

Michael Davis
Charlotte, NC

Work ~ Inventor Ultimate 2013 SP1.1
Win 7 64bit ~ i7 20gb
Nvidia Quadro FX 1700

Home ~ Inventor Ultimate 2013 SP1.1
Win 7 64bit i7 - 16gb
Nividia GeForce 9800 GT 1GB
240g Kingston HyperX SSD
Message 6 of 10
Dennis_Jeffrey
in reply to: coreyparks

I have navisworks, but it's currently not loaded as I'm upgrading systems to Win7. I'll see if I can get Navis loaded here in the next 2 days.

Subscribe to the free digital "The Creative Inventor Magazine" now available at: http://teknigroup....

XP64 SP2, GeForce 9800GT-1GB, Driver: 6.14.12.7061, 8GB Ram, AMD Athlon II 3.2 Ghz
Laptop: Win7-64 Pro, 4GB, ATI Graphics on board, 2012 Ultimate, IV2011 or 2010 Pro, all SP's
Message 7 of 10
blair

You could do a test of couple of GTX cards in SLI running Inventor. Two 1Gb GTX cards in SLI should outperforme a Quadro card.

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 8 of 10

My 9800GT/ 1gb card was great until it took a dump about 2weeks ago (Of course it's out of warranty). Computer wouldn't start and that was it. Fortunately I had another card to stuff in it (ATI 1650 pro). It's running so I guess I'll leave it alone. However I do have a SLI capable motherboard, hmmmmm.

I haven't been having fun lately with computer/ software issues.

Message 9 of 10
kprom

We recently purchased several new computers and the new GTX470s(around $200) outperform our two year old Quadras(around $1200).  Autodesk switched to Direct3D and now the workstation cards are no longer required. This might be a cheap upgrade for those who use large assemblies.

Message 10 of 10
Dennis_Jeffrey
in reply to: coreyparks

Navisworks 2011 is running fine on both NVidia and ATI gaming cards. Actually, system requirements published for Navisworks also have rather minimal VGA requirements.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report