Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Where used in drawing

8 REPLIES 8
SOLVED
Message 1 of 9
alex.dring
618 Views, 8 Replies

Where used in drawing

Is there a way for me to somehow display what assembly uses a particular part?  For example I would like a part drawing to somehow inidicate what assembly drawing to refer to in order to show quanities required. 

Can this be done?  Perhaps with ilogic which I know nothing about but will learn to get this to work. I am currently using standard Inventor 2012.

Thanks.

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
blair
in reply to: alex.dring

If you are using Vault, it can be done inside Vault and in you are not using Vault, the the Design Assistant will show where a item is used.

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 3 of 9
alex.dring

I was actually looking for something that I could stick on the drawing.  Like a variable that automatically updates. It is more for our purchasing department as a check so they know what parent assembly drawing to look at in order to verify the correct quanitites should be ordered.  

Message 4 of 9
swalton

There is no out-of-the-box solution in Inventor.

Take a look at the Autodesk App Exchange for Invnetor for some Third-Party solutions.

http://apps.exchange.autodesk.com/INVNTOR/en/Detail/Index?id=appstore.exchange.autodesk.com%3acpsjob...

http://apps.exchange.autodesk.com/INVNTOR/en/Detail/Index?id=appstore.exchange.autodesk.com%3aquanti...

I have not used either one.

Good Luck.

Steve Walton
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Inventor 2023
Vault Professional 2023
Message 5 of 9
alex.dring
in reply to: swalton

So how does one create programs like that?  Those almost do exactly what I want but instead of quantities I want it to show the drawing and/or part number that the assembly is.

Didn't even know about the app exchange.  

Message 6 of 9
swalton

Look into iLogic in the help file.  I don't use it much, but there is a lot of power for automating routine tasks. 

I can see making a custom iprop in your part templates, then making an ilogic rule in your iam templates to write the assembly file name/part number to each member of that assembly.  Then make a custom sketched symbol or title block field to show the custom iprop on your drawings.

What happens when you use the same part in five different parent assemblies...

Steve Walton
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Inventor 2023
Vault Professional 2023
Message 7 of 9
alex.dring

I will look into the iLogic.  Like you said there seems to be a lot of power in that.

For parts that are used in multiple assemblies I think it should just return a value of "Multiple or Various"

So basically you see like a time stamp in the drawing title block "Parent Assembly: (part or drawing number) 

Message 8 of 9
swalton

Another thing you might try:

1. Make your part idw.

2. Place a Parts List of the parent iam file in the part idw.

3. Hide all rows of the Parts List execpt the part shown in the idw.

You can filter the list by design reps created in the iam file.

4. Change the title of the Parts List to show its source iam file.

5. Add a new Parts List for each iam file that uses the part.

Steve Walton

EESignature

Inventor 2023
Vault Professional 2023
Message 9 of 9
alex.dring

Thats a slick little work around swalton.  Thanks.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report