Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Where to get additional 3D environments (IV2011 AIS)

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
gcook
1417 Views, 8 Replies

Where to get additional 3D environments (IV2011 AIS)

Anyone know where to get additional environments from? (e.g. Dry Salt Bed, Empty Lab, etc).  I see that they can be edited, but it looks really complicated.

We build floor standing equipment, and the most suitable environment for us is the "Empty Lab", but the equipment looks a little odd perched on the countertop.  The other option for us is the old factory environment, but this looks like an abandoned Detriot warehouse.

Can these be made, downloaded or edited in an easier way?

Thanks,

Gary

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
Bill_Bogan1
in reply to: gcook

Although this isn't the ideal solution, you can change the ground plane settings to "move" the IBL background.

See attached.

You will want to turn off the "Ground Shadows" if you use them, as they still look at the countertop as a place to cast their shadow.

Hope that helps.

Bill Bogan
Principal Content Experience Designer
CXD
PDMS-DiD-Digital Manufacturing
Autodesk, Inc.
Message 3 of 9
Bill_Bogan1
in reply to: Bill_Bogan1

I might have included that, you can find the settings dialog box under the Ground Plane control in the View > Appearance panel.

For the image I set offset the ground plane to match the bottom cabinet base. Then, using constraints, position other components in relation to the cabinet base or assembly origin, whichever is easiest.

Bill Bogan
CXD
Autodesk, Inc.
Message 4 of 9
gcook
in reply to: Bill_Bogan1

Hi Bill;

Thanks for this.  I've looked at the XML file for this envronment, and it looks as though you could remove the countertop completetly, which is the ideal solution for our type of equipment.  Is this possible, or would it be a huge effort.

As per the original post, is there a way to find other environments or, edit these existing ones (lloks like they are made in 3D Max).

Gary

Message 5 of 9
howardlee306

Those are DDS image files. They are native to NVIDIA and there are plugins available from the Nvidia web site for photoshop and I think Gimp. Typically they are used for video game backgrounds and there are programs such as "skies" that can be used specifically to create them. The shape is primarilly a cube that is unfolded and a panoramic picture is placed on the sides.

Message 6 of 9
gcook
in reply to: howardlee306

Thanks.  So, if you were to remove the countertop from the lab environment, you would use the PS plugin?

Good to know about the NVidia origin, are there othere enviroments around?

Gary

Message 7 of 9
derek.s

I am curious about the other 3D environments, too. I would like something like on the platform of an aircraft carrier. Does anyone have anything that we can download? The one they created themselves? I also would love to have a sod farm, construction, and suburbs area environments.

Message 8 of 9
RobJV
in reply to: howardlee306

I am probably totally mistaken here but is there not some confusion between viewcube dds files and the IBL scene files.  Are they not different formats?

Message 9 of 9
Bill_Bogan1
in reply to: RobJV

You're not confused. They are different.

The "Background image" applied through App Ops > Colors tab > Background is applied to the graphics area as a whole.

The IBL Environment is an image mapped to geometry, in which the model is placed.

See attached image.

Thus, there is much more involved in creating IBL environments as opposed to just making an image for a background. If you use Showcase, you can create environments there and will see the difference as to what is involved.

Bill Bogan
CXD
Autodesk, Inc.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report