Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Where is dimension d1 in Inventor 2013?

11 REPLIES 11
Message 1 of 12
pachubby
1564 Views, 11 Replies

Where is dimension d1 in Inventor 2013?

Hi

I have been using the new version of Inventor for a fews weeks, and creating a new part model this afternoon I have noticed that the dimension d1 no longer exists.  Has anyone else spotted this or had this problem?

To explain the problem in more detail.  I open a new part file (either our company's template or the standard Inventor template), then in Sketch1 I draw a fews lines and pull some dimensions from these.  The first dimension I create is called d0, the second dimension I create is called d2.  The dimension d1 is totally skipped.  I'm not deleting anything just simply starting in a brand new file.

Obviously I would understand it if the first dimension was called, for example, d7, then this would illustrate that the original template file had been saved over.

Thank,

Autodesk Inventor Professional 2019 64-Bit Edition
Build: 330, Release: 2019.4
Windows 10 Pro, Intel i5-6300HQ, 16GB RAM
NVIDIA Quadro M1000M
11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
rhasell
in reply to: pachubby

Hi

Never noticed, if I may ask why is this a problem?

If you are using the dimensions in predefined formulas or caclulations, it is better practice to give the dimensions a meaningfull name.

Create a User parameter of "LENGTH" for example, to make the parameter available in other areas and part, tick the check box "Export Parameter"

Now instead of refencing "d0" or "d1" etc, you can refer to "LENGTH", "WIDTH" etc.

Reg
Please Accept as a solution / Kudos
Message 3 of 12
JDMather

If I enter the dimensions as dynamic in the direct distance hitting tab for a rectangle it does d0 d1

if instead I click with the mouse the corners and then dimension I get the d0 d2 behavior you see.

If I create two lines and then dimension I get the d0 d1

Never paid 1 tenth of a second attention to d numbers before you bringing this to attention.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 4 of 12
pachubby
in reply to: rhasell

Hi rhasell

There are several reasons why I prefer using the d# designations rather than renaming the parameter.  Firstly we tend to create many more new parts than using our own custom part library.  I find the whole business of renaming dimensions time consuming with little benefit, specifically because the once or twice I have tried it, I have spent more time trying to think up imaginative and descriptive dimension names than actual designing.  Another reason is the size of a dimension formula is smaller when using d0, d1, etc, this means all of the formula is more likely to be visible in the mini dimension window and in the iproperties box.

To answer your first question (sorry if this sounds abrupt), "why is this a problem?"  We are all engineers and I believe the smallest detail is as important as the largest generalisation.  This is an engineering program, how can dimension d1 be missing?  And don't even mention the newly revised material and appearance feature!

Autodesk Inventor Professional 2019 64-Bit Edition
Build: 330, Release: 2019.4
Windows 10 Pro, Intel i5-6300HQ, 16GB RAM
NVIDIA Quadro M1000M
Message 5 of 12
MingweiGao

Yes, I can reproduce your problem on my machine and we will do some investigations about this issue.

Thank you! 

Steven Gao

Sr. SQA Engineer

Message 6 of 12
MingweiGao
in reply to: MingweiGao

Hi, this issue has been tracked in our internal system and the issue number ID is 1467766.

Steven Gao

Sr. SQA Engineer

Message 7 of 12
wfbbob

Has there been a "fix" for this d1 issue?  Is there a way around it?

Message 8 of 12
JDMather
in reply to: wfbbob

@wfbbob wrote:

Is there a way around it?

Why is it an "issue"?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

EESignature

Message 9 of 12
IgorMir

Hi,

Totally agree with you on all counts. I too had stopped renaming dimensions long time ago and use 'd#' instead. To give the dimension some meaningful description I use "Comments" column in Parameters DB when it is necessary.

Best Regards,

Igor.

@909chubb wrote:

Hi rhasell

There are several reasons why I prefer using the d# designations rather than renaming the parameter.  Firstly we tend to create many more new parts than using our own custom part library.  I find the whole business of renaming dimensions time consuming with little benefit, specifically because the once or twice I have tried it, I have spent more time trying to think up imaginative and descriptive dimension names than actual designing.  Another reason is the size of a dimension formula is smaller when using d0, d1, etc, this means all of the formula is more likely to be visible in the mini dimension window and in the iproperties box.

To answer your first question (sorry if this sounds abrupt), "why is this a problem?"  We are all engineers and I believe the smallest detail is as important as the largest generalisation.  This is an engineering program, how can dimension d1 be missing?  And don't even mention the newly revised material and appearance feature!

Web: www.meqc.com.au
Message 10 of 12
blair
in reply to: IgorMir

I agree, unless you have a specific template such as a Sheet-Metal template, certain 3rd party add-in (such as NC Profile burning) look to group items for nesting based on thickness and Material there is no reason to rename parameters.

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 11 of 12
wfbbob

It is not a huge "issue" but it is an "issue" because it is abnormal.  Sure there are plenty of renaming work-arounds but it is at least worth looking into when a piece of software behaves in an unexpected way.  If Excel started numbering the rows 0,2,3,4,5,6,7 that would lead me to wonder if something else was off. 

On a practical level, I have a lesson where I am teaching students to think through parametric dimensions and everything is numbered step by step with screen shots to help them through it.  It took about an hour to renumber the assignent and redo the screen shots to skip d1 and that was time that could have been spent on something better.

Message 12 of 12
JDMather
in reply to: wfbbob

@wfbbob wrote:

It took about an hour to renumber the assignent and redo the screen shots to skip d1 and that was time that could have been spent on something better.

I spend a few minutes showing my students how the "d number" depends on the order they create their dimensions compared to the order I created the dimensions and how many mistakes they (or I) made and deleted and replaced dimensions.

All the work is done in so many different ways (to get to same end results) that I would pull my hair out if I had to worry about a particular d assignment.  If I'm worried about a variable name - I name it myself.  Moving on.......

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report