Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WHERE DOES INVENTOR PULL HELICOIL THREAD DESIGNATION VALUE FROM

8 REPLIES 8
SOLVED
Message 1 of 9
Anonymous
2787 Views, 8 Replies

WHERE DOES INVENTOR PULL HELICOIL THREAD DESIGNATION VALUE FROM

Hi, I'm trying to find out where Inventor pulls its thread designator info from and how to change it.

My specific issue is that when you designate a helicoil hole type in a model, then apply a hole note to that helicoil via the "annotate" tab in an .idw the default hole note reads something like: 4-40 UNC HeliCoil - 2B 'depth symbol' 0.224

We would like to edit this information so that "HeliCoil" is in all caps i.e. "HELICOIL"

I assume this info/parameter can be accessed vis spread sheet somewhere in the system. Can anyone point me to where this spread sheet is please?

We are using Inventor 2014 Professional

Windows 7

64 Bit

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
Davarn-Tool&Die
in reply to: Anonymous

I, too, would like to change a few designations. not only in thread but in socket head screw messages, etc. I will follow this thread to see if there is a solution.

David Arnold

Designer-New Dies

Motor City Stamping Inc.

Message 3 of 9
Curtis_Waguespack

Hi DickStarrbuck,

If you go to the Tools tab > Application Options button > Files tab > Design Data entry, you should find the Design Data folder path. The Thread.xls file should be located in this folder.

Note that if your active Project file (*.ipj) > Folder Options setting has a Design Data folder location specified that is different than the one in the Application Options, then the poject file Design Data folder location overrides the Application Options Design Data folder location.

Related links:

http://help.autodesk.com/view/INVLT/2014/ENU/?guid=GUID-66968C6F-8AD0-4E81-A1CC-A76FBACD14C4

http://autodeskmfg.typepad.com/blog/2011/03/guest-post-autodesk-inventor-hole-thread-data.html

I hope this helps.
Best of luck to you in all of your Inventor pursuits,
Curtis
http://inventortrenches.blogspot.com

Message 4 of 9
Anonymous
in reply to: Curtis_Waguespack

Thank you for the quick reply. I followed the steps you provided. I found my "Thread.lxs" file, however I do not see the "HeliCoil" area I would like to edit. That spread sheet seems to be just the thread designators only. Which is what I asked for in my OP, but I think I may have been asking for the wrong info. Maybe I'm looking for the area that specifies hole type within the hole feature? Like "C'SINK", "C'BORE"....specifically "HeliCoil". Is that info located in a different spread sheet?

We have done this before with some iParts, specifically machine screws. Our government customer preferred the hardware be listed in a certain format. So rather than force editing the static value in the Parts List, we edited the iPart spread sheets to automatically bring in the machine screw "description" to read in the format that was requested of us.

I apologize if this is confusing : /

Message 5 of 9
Anonymous

Also I realize my example was for an iPart. I just want to clarify that what I'm talking about is not and iPart that we insert into a model. This is the default "Hole Feature" in Inventor. For example: We start with a model of a solid block of aluminum, perform a sketch on a surface, specify a center point, exit from sketch mode, select the hole feature, select "Tapped Hole", then select "HeliCoil Threads" under the "Thread Type" menu.

Message 6 of 9
Anonymous

Don't have helicoil threads here, look at your thread.xls in the design data folder.

Message 7 of 9
mcgyvr

There should be a tab (sheet) in the excel file "Helicoil Threads" or similar. 

If its not there then you might be looking at the wrong thread.xls file. 

Don't forget what Curtis said..

@curtis wrote:

Note that if your active Project file (*.ipj) > Folder Options setting has a Design Data folder location specified that is different than the one in the Application Options, then the poject file Design Data folder location overrides the Application Options Design Data folder location.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 8 of 9
Curtis_Waguespack

Hi DickStarrbuck,

So it sounds like your Thread.xls file has been customized (or you downloaded a custom one). So as mcgyvr mentioned, if you didn't find it in the location called out in the Application Options path, you'll likely find the customized spreadsheet in the folder location that is called out in the project file Folder Options setting.

I hope this helps.
Best of luck to you in all of your Inventor pursuits,
Curtis
http://inventortrenches.blogspot.com

Message 9 of 9
Anonymous
in reply to: Curtis_Waguespack

Thanks for all the help. I figured out the issue:

The "Thread" spreadsheet was exactly where you guys said it would be....like I said, I found it but there were no HeliCoil's in it. The drawing I was working in was built by someone else here before I started. They had a custom spreadsheet with HeliCoil's added to it. Apparently when I got here they "forgot" to give me the custom spreadsheet. So they sent it to me and I was able edit the information as required. I was unaware, I thought the HeliCoil's were an Inventor standard. When you guys mentioned a custom spreadsheet that promted me to inquire with my supervisor.

Lesson learned. Thanks guys.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report