Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

when reopening file parts are missing

13 REPLIES 13
Message 1 of 14
scott1888
786 Views, 13 Replies

when reopening file parts are missing

looking to see if anyone could help me here - was working on a small project for college yesterday and now when i try to reopen the document a good chunk of the frame i constructed yesterday is missing.

The sketches are still there though the extrusions are missing.

Looking to see if anyone could give me a hand!

Thanks in advance

Tags (3)
13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14
cbenner
in reply to: scott1888

Is this on a school computer?  Did you recieve any error messages when you opened the assembly?  Something about unresolved links?  It sounds as if the parts for your frame were saved in some location where Inventor is unable to find them.

Another possibility...  Forgive me if you already know this, but I never assume with a newish user.  When you build a frame assembly, you are actually generating part files.  However, these part files are not actually saved anywhere until the entire assembly is saved.  Is it possible that you built the frame and then forgot to do a final save?  If so, then it's possible that some of your frame sections never actually got generated as part files.  So many possibilities.... lol.

Message 3 of 14
scott1888
in reply to: cbenner

Hi Chris,

was on my mac - and i did have error messages at one point but not with the frame with another part -  the solar panels.

you are correct in saying im a newish user - never used the programe in my life lol didnt know the right way of going about things so what i did was create separate parts like the frame, solar panels turbine etc. the placed all the componants into one file - long winded but had no other idea how to achieve this lol

i had completed it yesterday and was sure i had saved the file complete. i do have other files of the other componants but couldnt understand why it wont open as a whole.

i have attached a photo when i had completed the frame - it was the first thing i constructed and then added all the other parts to it.

so is there anyway to save this beaut or am i up S*** creek?

Message 4 of 14
cbenner

Did you use the Frame Generator for the frame, or just model it up solid?  Without knowing the exact workflow of building this thing, it's hard to know if your missing parts are saved someplace that you just can't find them. 

Message 5 of 14
scott1888

Just modelled it my self. i started by creating the frame - the basic square at the bottom - i saved this as its own file.

after that i constructed all the other parts in different files the solar panels and their frame were constructed in separate files then saved in a different format in order for me to place them into the base frame.

this was started on saturday and yesterday i continued by making the turbine in 3 files and combining them in one document. again saved all that into one file to allow me to place it into the base frame. so when i reopened the base frame yesterday everything was all good though when trying to open it this morning the frame was gone.

i really appreciate you taking time to try and help me.

Message 6 of 14
cbenner

Can you post a screen cap of the model tree in your full assembly?  I'd like to see the structure of it... might give me some clues.  Such as:  (names removed)

Capture.JPG

Message 7 of 14
scott1888

not sure how much it will help - as im a complete newbie dont know exactly the best way of doing things was more of a quick bosch job over the w/e.

in worst case is the best thing to try to just start extruding from the sketches?

i sent it to a friend to open incase it was the program they had the same problem.

Message 8 of 14
scott1888

not sure how much it will help - as im a complete newbie dont know exactly the best way of doing things was more of a quick bosch job over the w/e.

in worst case is the best thing to try to just start extruding from the sketches?

i sent it to a friend to open incase it was the program they had the same problem.

Message 9 of 14
cbenner

This is Inventor right?  The model tree looks funny,... could be I've never seen the MAC version before.

Normally in Inventor the structure should be to build each component as a Part file.  Parts are feature based, created from sketches that are extruded or cut as needed to add or remove material from your part.  The parts are each saved as their own individual file.  Those parts are then assembled into an Assembly file, using a series of assembly constraints to establish the relationships between parts.  The assembly is also a separate file, which contains references to the individual part files used.

I'm honestly not sure how you created yours. 

Here are links to some tutorials by one of the best on this forum.  These should help you with getting started:

http://home.pct.edu/~jmather/skillsusa%20university.pdf

http://home.pct.edu/~jmather/AU2006/MA13-3%20Mather.pdf 

Also on the menu bar of your software look for the Get Started tab, there are some decent tutorials there as well.  I strongly recommend getting the basics down before chewing on something as large as this.  And we are always here to help.

Message 10 of 14
scott1888

yehh its invertor fusion - its an app i downloaded on the mac thats maybe why?

thanks, again it was a project for uni - they thought they had divided the groups well enough that there was one mech, one elec, and one design student - yet we have 1 elec and 2 mech who have never used the programme before so was hashed together.

ill try get the basic frame extruded again etc. was hoping there was going to be a quick fix. lol

thanks for your help. been much appreciated.

Message 11 of 14
SBix26

Inventor Fusion is a completely different application.  Has nothing to do with Windows or Mac, just that it's not Inventor, and doesn't work anything like Inventor.  There is a Fusion discussion forum here.

Sam B
Inventor 2012 Certified Professional

Please click "Accept as Solution" if this response answers your question.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor Professional 2013 SP1.1 Update 2
Windows 7 Enterprise 64-bit, SP1
HP EliteBook 8770w; 8 GB RAM; Core™ i7-3720QM 2.60 GHz; Quadro K4000M
SpaceExplorer/SpaceNavigator NB, driver 3.16.2
still waiting for a foreshortened radius dimensioning tool in Drawing Manager

Message 12 of 14
cbenner
in reply to: SBix26
Message 13 of 14
scott1888
in reply to: SBix26

Sam,

thanks for directing me to the correct forum, unfortunetly havent had any response there atall, do u know how i would be able to fix this?

Scott

Message 14 of 14
SBix26

Sorry, I know almost nothing about Inventor Fusion.  But it almost sounds as if you somehow opened an earlier version of your file without realizing it.  I can't imagine how features just go away and leave their sketches behind... 

Sam B
Inventor 2012 Certified Professional

Please click "Accept as Solution" if this response answers your question.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor Professional 2013 SP1.1 Update 2
Windows 7 Enterprise 64-bit, SP1
HP EliteBook 8770w; 8 GB RAM; Core™ i7-3720QM 2.60 GHz; Quadro K4000M
SpaceExplorer/SpaceNavigator NB, driver 3.16.2
still waiting for a foreshortened radius dimensioning tool in Drawing Manager

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report