Inventor General Discussion

Inventor General Discussion

*Expert Elite*
karthur1
Message 11 of 13 (109 Views)

Re: What would you do?

10-23-2012 09:32 AM in reply to: cwhetten

I send everyone an email and let them know there is an update there.  But what about the CAD managers channel?  I have not checked into it to see if this would even be the right use for this.  Just thought It would be neat though if a notice would pop-up on their Inventor screen to notify them.

*Expert Elite*
mrattray
Message 12 of 13 (93 Views)

10-23-2012 12:37 PM in reply to: karthur1

karthur1 wrote:

Just thought It would be neat though if a notice would pop-up on their Inventor screen to notify them.

Why? We both know that the average user never actually reads message boxes. They just blindly click a random button to get them out of their face.

Mike (not Matt) Rattray

Mentor
CadUser46
Message 13 of 13 (80 Views)

10-23-2012 06:50 PM in reply to: cwhetten
We use option one due to our custom PDM integration. We have 7 cache servers with 120 users spread around the world. Domain permissions set everyone to read only except my admin share. I have everything styles and templates and macros on the network so they are local to each group.
I have a master copy of the styles on another server and i change project to edit the master location.
I then use synctoy to 'echo' the changes to each location.
For major changes i usually archive a copy of the master folder before making changes.
Company policy is to restart machines each night so that helps me out as sometimes the default.ivb does not copy when a user still has a hold of it. Even though its read only. In these cases i just schedule a task to run synctoy through the night or weekend until it over writes it.
never really had any problems with this method.
We have custom setup instructions and project files for each location so they point to the right server
Inventor 2010 Certified Professional
Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.
Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions or visit the Installation and Licensing Forum to get help installing your software.