Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What's wrong with this software?

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
rob d
191 Views, 5 Replies

What's wrong with this software?

When I go to dim the sweep path in view “M”, it says 29.577; looks good. That’s until you place the dim; then it clicks in at 29.583. Which one’s right, or neither. Sorry for all you Inventor pushes; I’ve never had that kind of problem with mdt. Don’t they realize what you’re trying to do with this stuff. I'll send the part file in the following post.
Thanks for any help in advance.
rob d
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
rob d
in reply to: rob d

Hello;
Here the part file for the idw.
Thanks;
rob d
Message 3 of 6
Anonymous

You still working on that bracket?!?

I think the problem is that the geometry is not really an arc in that view. Even if it were, I don't think that dimension would be particularly useful to someone trying to fabricate the part.

-Paul Cunningham
Message 4 of 6
JDMather

>Sorry for all you Inventor pushes; I’ve never had that kind of problem with mdt.

There is no difference between Inventor and MDT in terms of geometry. Geometry is geometry. I think I would do the file differently. If you can't figure the solution in Inventor then do it in MDT and I will then show how it should have been done in Inventor.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 5 of 6
rob d

Hello;
It seems to dim it as an arc; If you you drag the dim along the path of the arc it goes the entire length; Only when you locate the dim, does it change the measured value. An arc was created as the sketch in the sketch view and then projected onto the cylindrical path. So an arc on the path of a circle, but I still think it could be measured as an arc, because it's constant, not changing, like a spline that might have different values along it's path. Also I think if it wasn't constant, then before you'd click the dimension, it would give you some other readings as you drag it along the path. I would also think a fabricator, could take the arc, whether 29.577, or 29.583, and subtract the .011 and swing it from the center line of the arc. The whole idea, is for it to travel .011. The arc is the result of going from the one hole to the other, with a .011 rise. And if it's not a radius then shoudn't the software reject it, instead of clicking .005 different with a R.? Thanks for input though.
Message 6 of 6
Anonymous

My guess is that the geometry in question is actually a tiny section of a large ellipse with nearly equal axes, which is virtually indistinguishable from an arc at that resolution.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report