Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is the future for touch displays using inventor?

18 REPLIES 18
Message 1 of 19
Anonymous
572 Views, 18 Replies

What is the future for touch displays using inventor?

More and more displays are becoming available that support touch. We are in the process of upgrading our design office and it was suggested that we go back to the old drawing board layout but using large touch displays.

Anyone have any experience in who well inventor handles such input systems?

18 REPLIES 18
Message 2 of 19
dgorsman
in reply to: Anonymous

While it looks cool and "Star Trek-y", the technology isn't quite there yet from a cost/performance standpoint.  The mouse-keyboard-monitor paradigm still rules.

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Message 3 of 19
mcgyvr

When one looks at the "ergonomics" and repeated muscle strain/back/neck/spinal cord/movement,etc... related with a touch screen and the repetition of a professional/daily user that will quickly end the conversation. 

And even more so in a "drafting board layout"...You will all look like "turtles" in no time.. 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 4 of 19

Having used a touchscreen to work with Vision system software, I can say touchscreens are in no way ideal for CAD use. One of the biggest issues is that your finger ends up covering what you are trying to select. A stylus can help with that some, but the issues with perspective become greater. By that I mean what you are trying to select is not where you think you see it. A touchscreen that has a hover feature to detect the stylus tip like some drawing tablets would help with that some. There is still the ergonomics issue even if a screen could be found that would work.

Using Inventor 2022 on Windows 10

Ideas needing support: spur gear tooth profile, rack gears generator
Message 5 of 19
Anonymous

I agree that current layout and GUI design of Cad systems are inadequate for touch. It does leave a gap for othere software houses to enter this market.

The possible benefits of having a more intuitive design interface could actually translate to improve productivity.
Message 6 of 19
mcgyvr

@Anonymous wrote:
I agree that current layout and GUI design of Cad systems are inadequate for touch. It does leave a gap for othere software houses to enter this market.

The possible benefits of having a more intuitive design interface could actually translate to improve productivity.

You can make the GUI as pretty/functional as you want.. But that still won't solve the ergonomic issues/workmans comp claims.. 

"Touchscreens" will NEVER have a place in repetative/professional applications IMO

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Message 7 of 19
mrattray
in reply to: mcgyvr

@mcgyvr wrote:

"Touchscreens" will NEVER have a place in repetative/professional applications IMO

Indeed.

Mike (not Matt) Rattray

Message 8 of 19
blair
in reply to: mrattray

Not to mention looking through fingerprints and smears. It may be nice for sketching on a iPad or other touch screen.

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 9 of 19
swalton

@mcgyvr wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

You can make the GUI as pretty/functional as you want.. But that still won't solve the ergonomic issues/workmans comp claims.. 

When I have 3d PMI and I need to redline a print in the field, a touchscreen tablet might be useful Smiley Wink

For production modeling/engineering I don't see touch being useful. I have a mouse with 5 programable buttons in my right hand, a 3d controller with 12 context sensitive programable buttons in my left hand, and a keyboard in between.  Now you want me to poke at a screen with my finger and forget all the other input channels to control my CAD software?

Steve Walton
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Inventor 2023
Vault Professional 2023
Message 10 of 19
Anonymous
in reply to: swalton

Kudos for mastering the skill to indirectly manipulate your work in such away. It must have taken some time to reach that skill level. I am sure if you ask someone else to use it who has not mastered your control methods they would be lost.  It does feel as a mouse and 3d controller would be able to be more precise and versatile. But surely any control methods with that much practice would reach an equal or even better level? 

Being confronted with a situations where I can see the benefit of being exposed to the standard mouse and keyboard system sins child hood vs those that are not. I can say touch would be more initiative. It is even more obvious when I watch how easily a 3year old masters a touch device vs the challenge of a mouse and keyboard. 

I fully agree that there will need to be aids such as touch gestures, hovering, stylus etc. As well as a completely new ergonomic design.  

Message 11 of 19
JDMather

Micro motions of mouse and 3DConnexion Space Navigator for me. 

I can't imagine waving my hands around for CAD other than at presentation time.

Manipulating with my Space Navigator give me the effect of a bionic arm.

My screen is still 2D (even "3D" monitors are actually 2D).  My Space Navigator is 3D.  I can hold it in my hand.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 12 of 19
mrattray

Hold your hands out in front of you unsupported for 5 minutes.
I work 9+ hour days.
Mike (not Matt) Rattray

Message 13 of 19
swalton

My wrists get sore just poking at my ipad for too long. 

Steve Walton
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Inventor 2023
Vault Professional 2023
Message 14 of 19
mcgyvr

I just got a 5 week old kitten (some stupid rednecks threw 2 of them out a car window going 40+ MPH in front of me on the way to work.. caught 1.. couldn't get the other as it pranced off into the forest)

In 1 day this kitten has learned to follow my mouse cursor on the screen and tap the touchscreen right over the cursor when I say "get it".. 

But I wouldn't ask it to do that for 7+ hours a day.. 

I had also heard a few years back that humans will eventually not have thumbs as they are rarely used.. Don't think thats true anymore by the way I see kids using their smartphones now.. And just wait till they get old and see how bad their arthrisis is going to be. 

I'm gonna be proactive put in an ideastation post for "mind reading" control of Inventor.. Then who cares about ergonomics or the GUI.. 🙂 problems solved

Message 15 of 19
mrattray

@mcgyvr wrote:

I had also heard a few years back that humans will eventually not have thumbs as they are rarely used.. 

That's rediculous. Try going a day without using your thumbs.

@mcgyvr wrote:

I'm gonna be proactive put in an ideastation post for "mind reading" control of Inventor.. Then who cares about ergonomics or the GUI.. 🙂 problems solved

I've been convinced for years now that cell phones (a microchip equivelant) will eventually be implanted in peoples heads.

Mike (not Matt) Rattray

Message 16 of 19
Anonymous

The screen don't have to be in front of you. It can be your desk. I am think down the lines of standing/sitting at a drawing table which you can support your elbow on. 

Message 17 of 19
mcgyvr

@Anonymous wrote:

The screen don't have to be in front of you. It can be your desk. I am think down the lines of standing/sitting at a drawing table which you can support your elbow on. 

I'd HIGHLY suggest you go read a book on ergonomics. You are going in the wrong direction there.. 

Message 18 of 19
JDMather

@Anonymous wrote:

I still prefer micro motions on my mouse and Space Navigator rather than scrubbing my arms around my desk.

Are you using right mouse button gestures yet?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 19 of 19
jeremy_wasserstrass

Then you are talking about a graphic tablet input like a Bamboo pen and touch system. I have an inexpensive one, and if I was not left handed I might actualy use it in place of the mouse, as it will function just like a mouse. I mention handedness being the reason I don't use it because holding and using a pen with 2 buttons in my off hand is much harder than using a mouse, and I am not going to take the time to get used to using my 3D device with a different hand. There is also the problem of remembering where I put the stylus when i start typing.

Using Inventor 2022 on Windows 10

Ideas needing support: spur gear tooth profile, rack gears generator

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report