Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What does delete view have to do with permissions?

13 REPLIES 13
Message 1 of 14
mslosar
427 Views, 13 Replies

What does delete view have to do with permissions?

This began in another thread, but we've moved to the point where we're 99% sure this is permissions related.

Simply put.

Start Inventor

Create a basic part (i used a cylinder)

Save part

Create a drawing

Place part on drawing

Create a couple views

Select a view

Delete view

Our result = crash to desktop

ANohter user is now havng the same problem. We've each logged in to 4 different machines (machines we've never previously used before) and get the same result. The people who normally use those machines do not have the problem.

The only method we've found to keep from crashing is admin rights which our IT dept is loathe to hand out.

So, what exactly is permission based in this process? What permissions should we be looking at to keep this from happening?

Thanks

13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14
mcgyvr
in reply to: mslosar

Sounds like you sadly have the typical IT department... 

Lots of info on this..

But here is a quote from TravisNave

The way around it is simply to give your engineers local admin rights on their machines.  There really is no reason not to do this.  Local administrator rights does not grant any more privilege to the domain security.  It simply allows the engineer to do what they need to do on their local machine.  There have been many posts about this over the past years, but the consensus remains that local admin rights should be granted.  They have been, in fact, a requirement for many of the suites.

http://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/autocad/troubleshooting/caas/sfdcarticles/sfdcarticles/How-to-...

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 3 of 14
mslosar
in reply to: mcgyvr

You're preaching to the choir 🙂

Unfortunately IT is tone deaf on the subject. It's apparently not even a local decision it's a corporate one....damned morons who had to put their whole @#$%ing itunes setup on company machines...

Message 4 of 14
Cadmanto

I am always about process of elimination.  If you take these files to an off-line machine and work with them (deleting views etc...) and they work fine, you have changed your statement from "Pretty sure..." to "Definately sure..."  Then you would know for sure what the problem is.

If it still gives you grief, then it is another issue.

check.PNGIf this solved your issue please mark this posting "Accept as Solution".

Or if you like something that was said and it was helpful, Kudoskudos.PNG are appreciated. Thanks!!!! Smiley Very Happy

New EE Logo.PNG

Inventor.PNG     vault.PNG

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden
(Colossians 3:23-25)

Message 5 of 14
LT.Rusty

@mslosar wrote:

You're preaching to the choir 🙂

@Unfortunately IT is tone deaf on the subject. It's apparently not even a local decision it's a corporate one....damned morons who had to put their whole @#$%ing itunes setup on company machines...

Fortunately our company lets us have local admin rights on our workstations. 

Funny thing, though, they don't let anyone install iTunes though, even though they issue iPhones for their company phones.

Rusty

EESignature

Message 6 of 14
mslosar
in reply to: Cadmanto

The exact same files work just fine for other people. I've had to have others pull up my drawings and delete views for me. Happens on existing drawings and brand new ones using any template i can find.

I've logged into 3 other machines that work just fine, yet it fails for me.

I'm in the definite camp 🙂

Message 7 of 14
The_Angry_Elf

"Have you tried to reboot your work station?"

Sorry, I just had to throw out the typical IT solution to every problem....;)

I have never seen this issue happen and of course I can't replicate it.

One of the first things I do when I see files acting a bit flakey like this, I run them thru the Task Scheduler's migration option.

Select the options shown in the attached pic if they apply (be sure to select the "immediately" check box as well).

This usually, 9 out of 10 times will fix the "flakes".

Cheers,

Jim O'Flaherty
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Owner - Celtic Design Services, LLC - cdscad.com - An Autodesk Service Partner
We are available for hire. Please DM me or visit our website
Autodesk Inventor Certified Professional * Autodesk Certified Instructor * Autodesk Expert Elite * AU Speaker 2015 through 2022 * AU Speaker Mentor
"Mr. O'Flaherty, never go into small computers. There's no future in them" - Dr. C.S. Choi circa 1984
Message 8 of 14
johnsonshiue

Hi! Could you me what Inventor release you are on? Did you submit crash report using your email address? If yes, please send an email to me (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com) so I can take a look at the report.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 9 of 14
mslosar
in reply to: johnsonshiue

Original error report is/was:

Error filed CER_100006606

The original thread is here:

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/inventor-general-discussion/deleting-view-crash-to-desktop/m-p/5242021...

As i said, i started this because i've narrowed it down to permissions. I can send in another crash log on monday to see if it's any different on this new computer. The original comments you had were it looked graphics related and you had me run through a bunch of options all which produced no results. The fact that it works for other people with identical configurations, yet fails for me on their computers tells me it's not purely graphics.

FWIW, i've restarted the machine(s) in questions numerous times to no avail. I know someone had to mention but it's not my first go-round. 🙂

Message 10 of 14
johnsonshiue

I notice that the crash report indicates you opened a customized template. Could you try the same workflow using an idw template shipped with Inventor?

Thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 11 of 14
mslosar
in reply to: johnsonshiue

I've tried different custome templates (assuming you're talking about the idw template) and different english and metric standard templates as well.

As i've said, other people here don't have the issue, yet we have the same issue if we log on to their machines and try it. We all use the same set of templates of a network drive.

Message 12 of 14
The_Angry_Elf

I assume running these thru the Task Scheduler's Migration process didn't help any?

Cheers,

Jim O'Flaherty
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Autodesk Inventor Certified Professional * Autodesk Certified Instructor * Autodesk Expert Elite * AU Speaker 2015 through 2022 * AU Speaker Mentor
"Mr. O'Flaherty, never go into small computers. There's no future in them" - Dr. C.S. Choi circa 1984
Message 13 of 14
mslosar
in reply to: The_Angry_Elf

It's not a file problem. Multiple other users don't have the problem. The guy sitting behind me works just fine. I log in to his machine, it crashes. He logs into mine, it does not crash.

Templates are standard 2013 templates, too. Nothing to migrate.

Message 14 of 14
The_Angry_Elf

Gotcha, sorry for the confusion.

Cheers,

Jim O'Flaherty

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report