Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What does ACIS stand for?

10 REPLIES 10
Message 1 of 11
Anonymous
1341 Views, 10 Replies

........... solids?
10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

"Andy, Charles, Ian's System."

I'n not kidding 😉
Message 3 of 11
Anonymous

And they're still in Cambridge UK. John Bilton
Message 4 of 11
Anonymous

"Andy, Charles, Ian's System."

I'n not kidding 😉

For a moment (actually more than a moment) I thought you were. What a strange acronym for a serious widely used system. With your response found this via google:

ACIS stands for Andy, Charles, Ian's System. It is a solid modelling geometric engine that most CAD packages now use. ACIS uses a sophisticated object-oriented approach for modelling, the data is stored in boundary representation. Acis is owned by Spatial Technologie
Message 5 of 11
Anonymous

Next question on the quiz.
What does sat stand for as in saving an ACIS file as *.sat
Message 6 of 11
Anonymous

What does sat stand for as in saving an ACIS file as *.sat Save As Text, believe it or not... These acronyms are about as dumb as TWAIN (Technology Without An Interesting Name). -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Brian R. Iwaskewycz Senior Mechanical Engineer PA Transformer Technology, Inc. To err is human; to debug, divine.
Message 7 of 11
Anonymous

Actually the reference Google has is wrong. ACIS stands for Alan (Grayer), Charles (Lang), Ian's (Braid) System. They were the 3 people at Three-Space Ltd who initially wrote the solid modeler for Spatial Technology. There were no marketing people around and they had to call it something. Those 3 guys had a long history of writing modelers, all of which were named after figures in Greek or Roman mythology, so here's a bit to trivia that most people don't know; they picked the order of their initials in the name because they found this: Acis was the son of Faunus, in love with Galatea, a sea nymph. The cyclopean giant Polyphemus also loved Galatea, but she rejected his advances. Out of rage and jealousy, Polyphemus attacked Acis, and crushed him under a huge stone. Stricken with grief, Galatea returned for ever to the sea. However, the sea gods were moved by her sorrow, and caused Acis to be reincarnated as an ever-flowing river, whose waters would flow into the sea and mingle with her tears. Spatial never promoted this for the obvious that ACIS was killed by a big guy. As for .sat, it stands for "Save As Text" (it's ASCII), there's also .sab which stands for "Save As Binary". Again, no marketing people involved. Enjoy, Roger Mollon MSD - Novi Autodesk Inc. "JDMATHER" wrote in message news:28354221.1098446276252.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum1.autodesk.com... > Next question on the quiz. > What does sat stand for as in saving an ACIS file as *.sat
Message 8 of 11
Anonymous

save as text? Per "JDMATHER" wrote in message news:28354221.1098446276252.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum1.autodesk.com... > Next question on the quiz. > What does sat stand for as in saving an ACIS file as *.sat
Message 9 of 11
Anonymous

I suppose I'd better ask ... STEP ? Duncan -- "Humour ... is one man shouting gibberish in the face of authority, and proving by fabricated insanity that nothing could be as mad as what passes for ordinary living." (Terence 'Spike' Milligan K.B.E., 1918-2002) > As for .sat, it stands for "Save As Text" (it's ASCII), there's also .sab > which stands for "Save As Binary". Again, no marketing people involved. > > Enjoy, > Roger Mollon > MSD - Novi > Autodesk Inc. > > "JDMATHER" wrote in message > news:28354221.1098446276252.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum1.autodesk.com... >> Next question on the quiz. >> What does sat stand for as in saving an ACIS file as *.sat > >
Message 10 of 11
Anonymous

"STandard for Exchange of Product" according to google.

I hope it's the right acronyn 😉
Message 11 of 11
Anonymous

Standard for the Exchange of Product Model Data to be exact...

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report