Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What do I NEED to install

13 REPLIES 13
Message 1 of 14
rickduley
1124 Views, 13 Replies

What do I NEED to install

I need to uninstall then re-install Inventor 2015 so that I can get Content Center installed.  It is missing in my current installation. 

I gather that there is a selection of things which can be seleted to be, or not be, installed.  This raises the question (given the everpresent problem of disc space) of what I actually NEED to install.  This, I presume, depends solely on what I wish to do with Inventor.

My drawing requirements centre on what might be made in a common engineering shop.  That is, machinery made from plate, tube, round sections, RHS, RSA, bolts, nuts, weldments, machined pieces, split pins, proprietary gearboxes, bearings, circlips etc., etc., etc.  I am not into plastic devices, compound plate forming, or medical implants. 

At the moment, for my sins, I have:

Autodesk Material Library Base Resolution Image Library 2015

Autodesk Material Library Low Resolution Image Library 2015

Autodesk Material Library 2015

Autodesk Design Review 2013

Autodesk DWG Trueview 2015 - English

Autodesk revit Interoperability for Inventor

Autodesk Inventor Professional 2015 - English.

How these were selected is a mystery, and I suspect that, for me, some of them are just taking up space.  I also suspect that there are some things which would be useful which are not in the list.  Can someone help me with a useful list, please?

Thanks

13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14
Anonymous
in reply to: rickduley

You can install content center without uninstalling Inventor.

Message 3 of 14
ampster402

@rickduley wrote:

Autodesk Material Library Base Resolution Image Library 2015

Autodesk Material Library Low Resolution Image Library 2015

Autodesk Material Library 2015

Autodesk Design Review 2013

Autodesk DWG Trueview 2015 - English

Autodesk revit Interoperability for Inventor

Autodesk Inventor Professional 2015 - English.

Leave the libraries alone.

Design Review you could uninstall if you will not be sharing dwf files with anyone or have a need to view dwf files.

DWG Trueview can view/print dwg and dxf files, might be useful at some time.

Revit interoperability could probably be removed since you didn't state having Revit installed.

If you are still struggling with the CC, why not try this option;

http://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/inventor-products/downloads/caas/downloads/content/autodesk-in...

I am only up to 2014 so I don't know much about this "remote content" thing, but it appears to be an option to download the CC without messing around with actually just re-running the Inventor install routine in order to install the CC (not a complete uninstall and re-install like you mentioned)

Message 4 of 14
ampster402

missed your statement about hard drive space.

It's been yrs since I thought hard drive space was an issue anymore.  Inexpensive upgrade option would be to swap out your existing hard drive with something a lot bigger.  Of course that brings up the issue of having to reinstall the OS and everything else.

But you could also delete that C:\Autodesk folder mentioned in the other thread - or perhaps at least back up that folder first then delete it.

Message 5 of 14
LT.Rusty
in reply to: ampster402

@ampster402 wrote:

missed your statement about hard drive space.

It's been yrs since I thought hard drive space was an issue anymore.  Inexpensive upgrade option would be to swap out your existing hard drive with something a lot bigger.  Of course that brings up the issue of having to reinstall the OS and everything else.

But you could also delete that C:\Autodesk folder mentioned in the other thread - or perhaps at least back up that folder first then delete it.

Hard drive space is only an issue when you're (a) using SSD's or (b) working for a cheap company.

They bought most of our workstations with 80 / 120 / 250 GB hard drives.  I got lucky and got a 250, and suckered them into getting my a 512 GB SSD as well. 

At home, though ... HDD space is still at a premium.  Yeah, I've got almost 7 TB of storage space (my sig only lists 3 of the hard drives. 😄 ), but only 250 GB of it is on an SSD.

Rusty

EESignature

Message 6 of 14
ampster402
in reply to: LT.Rusty

good point on the ssd's!  That is an issue at home on one laptop. 

Part of what I did to solve that was to install a 1TB network hd at home.

Really looking forward to the day you can load Inventor and store your models on a ssd drive large enough to handle it all.  Sure 512's are available now for a few more $'s but it's a few yrs out till we can hope employers start providing such systems to everybody.

Message 7 of 14
rickduley
in reply to: ampster402

Thanks ampster

Autodesk must be going crazy.  I have found endless pages of information about the Content Center Libraries and even instructions about installing them but there is absolutely no information as to where to get them.

The remote libraries seem to be an option of you are on a good broadband link - I am not.  I work stand-alone, am not interested in the Cloud or any filesharing system.  I just want the ISO Content Center Library on my hard-drive.

Surely someone at Autodesk has provided a way to achieve that lofty aim!

Does anyone have any idea where I can download it?

Thanks

Message 8 of 14
karthur1

You dont have to uninstall just to get the CC on there.

Go to the folder that the Autodesk product design suite 2015 setup.exe is extracted to.  Even though its already installed, run it again.

Click "Install Tools & Utilities".

You will find the CC on the configure Installation window.

Kirk

2014-06-27_2246.png

Message 9 of 14
rickduley
in reply to: karthur1

Gee, Kirk, I don't have anything like that.  I found five Autodesk setip.exe files none of which seem to do anything._Autodesk_Installer_Failure.jpg

That's about all I ever get.

FTR: I first loaded Inventor 2014 because I have a textbook for that.  It gave me a lot of trouble so I uninstalled it from E-drive where I had tried to put it then could not re-install it on C-drive.  In desperation I loaded 2015 (on C-drive) but I think I just ran the EXE off the net which would account for me not having it.

Do you think that means I am doomed to a full install?

Thanks

Message 10 of 14
mdavis22569

I had this problem the other week. I had to do a system restore to a few weeks before and everything worked fine after

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.

---------
Mike Davis

EESignature

Message 11 of 14
rickduley
in reply to: mdavis22569

Gee!  It's nice to know that other people have problems with their systems.

I was thinking that this sort of thing only happens to me! Smiley Frustrated

Message 12 of 14
karthur1

If you installed it from the net, run the install again. You should see a tools and utilities. Pick that.
Message 13 of 14

please try to refer to this link for solving this communincation failure issue.

http://help.autodesk.com/view/INSTALL_LICENSE/2015/ENU/?guid=GUID-1E423845-9890-4284-93BB-81200F85E8...

Message 14 of 14

Nice try but the system cmes back and tells me that this update is for a different platform.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report