Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Weldment/Machining not updating (Inventor 2012)

8 REPLIES 8
SOLVED
Message 1 of 9
Tyneheadpark
506 Views, 8 Replies

Weldment/Machining not updating (Inventor 2012)

Hello, I have a weldment made from elevent parts originated from a skeletal file. In the weldment I created some machning features from sketches that were projected from the sketches in the skeletal file. Later in the design process the machining shape and size required changes. These changes were done from the skeletal file. Then I thought I could see those changes done in the machined assembly. But they were not. So what did I not do correctly?

Thanks. Kind Regards.

Serge

Tags (2)
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
blair
in reply to: Tyneheadpark

This is the steps you followed.

1.) Create Skeletal Model

2.) Push Skeletal Model into IAM assembly

3.) Convert IAM model to Weldment

4.) Use Weldment/Machining to create "Prep" features.

5.) Make changes to Skeletal Model

6.) Open IAM Weldment as see changes in all related IPT files

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 3 of 9
Tyneheadpark
in reply to: blair

Hello Blair,

Thank you for your reply. In a streak of luck while I was waiting for a reply, I did some searching and I found the answer to my own posting back in 2008 under the subjetc "Skeletal Modeling-Assembly_Machining".

Again, thank you very much.

Kind Regards

Serge J.

Message 4 of 9
gyoungJGUQY
in reply to: blair

The problem is (6) doesn't work.... it doesn't update. 

Message 5 of 9
SBix26
in reply to: gyoungJGUQY

Even if you click the Update button?  If that doesn't work, the best way to diagnose the problem is with the actual files.  Can you post the data set here?

Sam B
Inventor Pro 2021.2 | Windows 10 Home 2004
LinkedIn

Message 6 of 9
gyoungJGUQY
in reply to: SBix26

Do you seriously really need to see files to believe me? Seems like a delaying tactic at best...

Try it for yourself, and see if it works. I can tell you it doesn't. You guys really need to go out and work in an Engineering office for a couple of months on Inventor and then on another program to see how far Inventor has fallen behind

Message 7 of 9
johnsonshiue
in reply to: SBix26

Hi Sam,

The issue he runs into is a long limitation in Inventor. A part sketch is not associatively projected to an assembly sketch. It is indeed a limitation. Associativity retains if the project source is body geometry, not sketch geometry.

I am trying to understand the workflow and see if there is a better workflow here. I think the workaround is to extrude the skeletal profile as a surface. Then project the surface edge to the assembly sketch. It will be associative.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 8 of 9
gyoungJGUQY
in reply to: johnsonshiue

Hi Johnson, I am not a programmer so I probably don't fully appreciate the complexity here. Just thinking if it can be done successfully with a body or surface, how hard would it be to make the leap to sketch geometry?

Message 9 of 9
johnsonshiue
in reply to: gyoungJGUQY

Hi! I am not a developer either. I am not saying it is totally not doable. However, there must be some technical challenge blocking the workflow. It should be doable but it has not been done yet.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report