Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Weird unfold happenings

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
gjohnston
301 Views, 2 Replies

Weird unfold happenings

I have several peices of 1/8 sheet metal bent into differant shapes. I will use one for illustration.  (L) shaped. 5 1/4" on one leg and 3" on the other; (5 1/4 + 3 = 8 1/4 width). When unfolded and dimensioned it shows 5 5/32 & 2 29/32 from the bend line and 8 1/32 overall width.  The unfolded width on all (not just this one) are incorrect. Whats up? I don't think the metal stretches that much.

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
JDMather
in reply to: gjohnston

Do you have the correct k-factor or bend table set up for the Bend Allowance?

Attach the file here.

Bend allowance is dependant on material, thickness, inside radius of bend and the total bend angle and to some extent the tooling/machine.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 3 of 3
blair
in reply to: gjohnston

From Wiki:

The neutral line (also called the neutral axis) is an imaginary line that can be drawn through the cross-section of the workpiece that represents the lack of any internal forces. Its location in the material is a function of the forces used to form the part and the material yield and tensile strengths. In the bend region, the material between the neutral line and the inside radius will be under compression during the bend. The material between the neutral line and the outside radius will be under tension during the bend.

Both bend deduction and bend allowance represent the difference between the neutral line or unbent flat pattern (the required length of the material prior to bending) and the formed bend. Subtracting them from the combined length of both flanges gives the flat pattern length

I have also inlcuded a Bend Allowance and k-factor spread sheet.

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums