Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Weird dimensions in idw

2 REPLIES 2
SOLVED
Message 1 of 3
karthur1
1423 Views, 2 Replies

Weird dimensions in idw

When I try to place dimensions on my assembly, they are not oriented correctly with the view.  When I try to place a horizontal or vertical dimension, they are jacked..... see below.

jacked dims.jpg

When I edit the view and choose "Change View Orientation", I have noticed that the cooridinate triad is not position correctly.

2014-09-25_0921.png

How do I get the triad to be "Normal" to the part?  I assume that this is why my dims are jacked.

I can't change any of the part positions, because other idws have already be made that use this part and that will mess up those idws.

Thanks,

Kirk

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
Mark_Wigan
in reply to: karthur1

Hey kirk usually if the assembly is skewed you can get the idw view dims to sit correctly by rmb on view, dimension type - projected (instead of true). Sometimes it works.

Also i try to get the grounded part in my assembly to sit flat against the origin x. y. z. of the assembly. It wont affect the part drawings. Just unground it, constrain it to the origin planes, ground it again (if you like). If that messes up other drawings you may need to rotate or realign them. I guess it depends on how many need fixing. Its a pain when models like this are lurking in wait to catch you out.

Sorry if i misinterpretted any of your post.
best regards,
- Mark

(Kudo or Tag if helpful - in case it also helps others)

PDSU 2020 Windows 10, 64bit.

Message 3 of 3
karthur1
in reply to: Mark_Wigan

@Mark_Wigan wrote:
......if the assembly is skewed you can get the idw view dims to sit correctly by rmb on view, dimension type - projected (instead of true).......

That worked for me.

Thanks

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report