Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Visibilty Macro

22 REPLIES 22
Message 1 of 23
Anonymous
1132 Views, 22 Replies

Visibilty Macro

Is there a utility to turn all parts of an iam visible or invisible, Enable, Disabel? etc
22 REPLIES 22
Message 2 of 23
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

3/4 down the page there is a macro called
Hide/Show

--
K

Message 3 of 23
Anonymous

Yes I know of this. Its great for multiple instances of the same part. What I am looking for is a all parts on all parts off. Not of the same instance. Ex part1 part2 part3.
Message 4 of 23
Anonymous

Use the Find command (Ctrl+F). The Find should, by installation default, be set up to find all part files. Just click Find Now to have all parts highlighted. Then you can RMB on the highlighted parts and make changes.

MechMan
Message 5 of 23
Anonymous

Thanks MechMan did not know abot the (Ctrl+F). But how about this?. Some parts in browser are visible some are not. Turn all on? Instead of RMB pick visibility. Then RMB pick visibility again.
Message 6 of 23
Anonymous

"But how about this?. Some parts in browser are visible some are not. Turn all on? Instead of RMB pick visibility. Then RMB pick visibility again"

Sorry orchdes but I guess my head's a bit foggy this morning. Can you try again to explain what you're trying to say?

You can set up the Find tool to search for very specific files in the browser and save that search for future use. Be forewarned though that the dialog box isn't laid out very well and IMO is a bit of a pain to set up.

MechMan
Message 7 of 23
Anonymous

I have always felt that the visibility toggle should be the opposite of the last part
selected. Not sure how that would work using the find tool, but if manually selected and
the last part you click on is visible it should turn them all off, ... if it has its
visibility off then it should turn them all on.

A macro to do what you want would probably be pretty easy. If I get some free time today
I will see if I can write one up.

--
Kent
Member of the Autodesk Discussion Forum Moderator Program

"orchdes" wrote in message news:f14aac2.3@WebX.maYIadrTaRb...
> Thanks MechMan did not know abot the (Ctrl+F). But how about this?. Some parts in
browser are visible some are not. Turn all on? Instead of RMB pick visibility. Then RMB
pick visibility again.
Message 8 of 23
Anonymous

That would be sweet.

MechMan --- Wouldn't it be great to make all parts in browser that are hidden, visible with the click of a mouse?

It is so easy in the graphics window to RMB on a part and hide but when you want to show all the parts or sub assemblies as well as those pasky leaf components that you turned off you need to go to the browser and Ctrl+pick, pick, pick etc. then RMB visible.
Message 9 of 23
Anonymous

A workaround may be to setup a design view of all components visible,
then activate that view when you wish to show all parts.

--

||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

Jon Genova
Senior Mechanical Design Engineer
BioServe Space Technologies

A NASA Commercial Space Center (CSC)

genovaj@stripe.colorado.edu
Bioserve URL http://www.colorado.edu/engineering/BioServe/
Personal URL http://stripe.Colorado.EDU/~genovaj/
Message 10 of 23
Anonymous

Yea. I would like a "Hide All", "Show All", and a "Toggle Visibility" that would reverse the visibility status of all components. That would be a good start at least. Wouldn't mind having the same setup for the Enabling/Disabling of components either.

MechMan
Message 11 of 23
Anonymous

By George MechMan you got it!!!

Lets see If Mr. Keller can give us this handy little tool.
I have not messed with writing macros so I would not know the first thing....
Message 12 of 23
Anonymous

Lets add grounding to that. Now I know you ask why. How about when importing dumb solid ass'y like a product and you dont want to reconstrain all?

Not asking for much am I?
Message 13 of 23
Anonymous

I just click the first part and shift+click the last part in the browser then RMB Grounded. Not too hard or time consuming.

MechMan
Message 14 of 23
Anonymous

Me also. But hey lets throw it in there.
Message 15 of 23
Anonymous

Why not! We're not programming it. B-)

Poor Kent. 😉

MechMan
Message 16 of 23
Anonymous

Or pick the first part shift, pick last part then visibility twice. Now all
parts are turned on.

--
Sean Dotson, PE
http://www.sdotson.com
Check the Inventor FAQ for most common questions
www.sdotson.com/faq.html
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
------
"orchdes" wrote in message
news:f14aac2.6@WebX.maYIadrTaRb...
> That would be sweet.
> MechMan --- Wouldn't it be great to make all parts in browser that are
hidden, visible with the click of a mouse?
>
> It is so easy in the graphics window to RMB on a part and hide but when
you want to show all the parts or sub assemblies as well as those pasky leaf
components that you turned off you need to go to the browser and Ctrl+pick,
pick, pick etc. then RMB visible.
>
>
Message 17 of 23
Anonymous

You guys keep changing it .. How am I ever supposed to do it

Actually I am doing it during updates of a big assembly but it is going really slow ...
sure wish I was on my dual

Still hoping to get it done today but ..... well see. Finding time to see if it works or
not is going to be the problem.

Oh and I just use InsertNFix for grounding ... but we will see. 8^)

--
Kent

"MechMan" wrote in message news:f14aac2.13@WebX.maYIadrTaRb...
> Why not! We're not programming it. B-)
Message 18 of 23
Anonymous

Ok got a couple question.

How important is it for the reverse Visibility and reverse Enable to do sub components?

The problem comes in that if the top level component is visible ...... as you cycle thru
it, and turn off the top level all the subs get turned off also. So at this point it is
just going to turn back on all the lower level subs as it comes to them. To just do the
top level reverse is pretty simple.

Of course there is a way to do it but it is going to take longer than I planned on putting
into this..... at least today.

do we want a unground all also?

--
Kent

"orchdes" wrote in message news:f14aac2.-1@WebX.maYIadrTaRb...
> Is there a utility to turn all parts of an iam visible or invisible, Enable, Disabel?
etc
Message 19 of 23
Anonymous

I would say that controlling the sub components is pretty important. In a top-level assy you may want to only show a selection of sub components (or sub-sub components). For example lets say you have a toplevel assy of a car. The engine is a top level component and the car body is a top level component which includes the sub components of the frame and side panels. If you just want to view the Engine and the frame you would have the engine and sub components of the body "on" (the frame) with all other sub components "off". Now if you want to view only the outside of the car you could toggle the visibility so that the engine & frame are "off" and everything else is "on". Having the engine & frame off would speed things up. Does this make any sense?

I sense that someone might want to jump in with a "use Design View" opinion here. I'll add that this visibility switch is just for a short term need and not worthy of going through the hassle of actually creating a DV. In fact now that I'm typing about it Kent's program would end up making DV's more useful by making an easy way to get to an opposite view of a defined DV. Using the example above you would need to have 2 DVs. One for the engine/frame and one for the body. With Kent's program you would only need one DV and the other DV would be applied with the launching of Kent's program. Understand?

I personally don't care for an "ground/unground all" but if it's easy to add, why not.

MechMan
Message 20 of 23
Anonymous

Yeah I hear ya.

The problem I see is that it is likely to be pretty slow. The real VBA guru's may have
better ways, but what I would probably have to do is to run through all the components and
record their visibility or enabled state, and then work from the bottom of the tree to the
top in turning them off or on. It is the second half that is the real problem, because
to the best of my knowledge you can't just feed the API a component name, you have to run
through the tree until you find it and then manipulate it. So you would be running
through them all once to get the state and then again for each and every component to
change it.

There may be a better way staring me in the face, but I don't have that type of time today
to look deeper. The rest of it (all but the two reverse buttons) was a piece of cake
and is for the most part done

--
Kent

"MechMan" wrote in message news:f14aac2.17@WebX.maYIadrTaRb...
> I would say that controlling the sub components is pretty important.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report