Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Visibility Shortcut

33 REPLIES 33
Message 1 of 34
dloganbill
13267 Views, 33 Replies

Visibility Shortcut

Is there a way to add a keyboard shortcut or marking menu shortcut for visibility? It would be really convenient to be able to shift-click several objects and toggle the visibility of them. I have a mouse with numerous buttons that are mapped to commonly used IV features, but I cannot find a way to map a visibility toggle. FYI, I'm using IV Pro 2012 SP1 x64.
Intel i7-3930K 3.2 GHz; 32 GB RAM; GeForce GTX 680; SSD
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
33 REPLIES 33
Message 21 of 34
mcgyvr
in reply to: taylor

@Taylor wrote:

@SteveMDennis

Thank you, great to hear the problem is being addressed!  Do you know roughly when is the next patch scheduled, or will Inventor auto-update without any action on my part?

I wouldn't start holding your breath.. Smiley Very Happy

And I don't think Inventor will ever "auto update".. The desktop app will (usually) alert you to the availability of updates but I don't think it will ever auto install like other programs.. (and for good reason)..

Not sure what it takes over there to turn a "story" into a real boy though Smiley Wink

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 22 of 34
SteveMDennis
in reply to: mcgyvr

@taylor

While I would not be as pessimistic as @mcgyvr is with his "breath" comment, he is right that me piling on here never implies a specific date for getting something addressed.

I like to think I have some juice in this department though and hope we can address it as soon as possible. As you can see we are doing incremental releases 2 or 3 times a year for these type of issues.

Steve Dennis
Sr. Principal Engineer
Inventor
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 23 of 34
taylor
in reply to: SteveMDennis

@SteveMDennis  @mcgyvr

Ok thanks for the honest replies guys!

Message 24 of 34
PowellJ08

any possibility of having a show all hidden components command added along with the toggle vis. I could see this adding a lot of saved time from searching the tree on very large assemblies.  I know you could use different Rep views, but i think that would be a great addition.    

Message 25 of 34
SteveMDennis
in reply to: PowellJ08

@PowellJ08  We have been talking about this lately (easier selection of all invisible things, all components that are not enabled, etc.)

So it's on our radar but I'm not sure when it might show up.  Best honest answer I can give you.

Steve Dennis
Sr. Principal Engineer
Inventor
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 26 of 34
emoryfesel

Two years later and we're still waiting

RIP

Message 27 of 34
sjpvb1222
in reply to: emoryfesel

why does autodesk still feel like i'm using a windows 98 program?

Message 28 of 34
sjxyz

Hi Steve,

Are you still there or did that sword do too good a job? I'd really appreciate this shortcut too. (Show/Hide Visibility of work feature, body etc in part environment)It still doesn't seem to be available in 2020...

Regards,

Simon

Message 29 of 34
SteveMDennis
in reply to: sjxyz

@sjxyz I am still here working on another project for the last year or so. We as a larger team make prioritizing decisions all the time about which projects/issues get worked on and in what order. Here, Ideas Forum, customer visits, etc. all factor into the "equation".

All I can do is express my opinion and try to represent yours as best I can.

In over 22 years of Inventor development I do know all the players and many of the long standing issues but I don't personally decide what gets done. Sorry about that.

@dan_szymanski Is still the driver for these type of projects. So maybe he can chime in with a more up to date response.

Steve Dennis
Sr. Principal Engineer
Inventor
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 30 of 34
mcgyvr

From pessimism to reality..

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 31 of 34
johnsonshiue

Hi Guys,

A shortcut to make all Workfeatures invisible is indeed not available. But, the followings do exist.

Toggle all user work planes -> Alt+]

Toggle all user work axes -> Alt+/

Toggle all user work points -> Alt+.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 32 of 34
sjxyz
in reply to: johnsonshiue

Thanks Johnson,

I know you know this, but perhaps it needs re-stating when gathering support for this idea.

These shortucts (Alt+] etc ) aren't really ideal because as soon as you make another plane, the planes that have visibility enabled become visible again.

What we're trying to do is make individual selected items invisible with one standard shortcut, as you can in an assembly. Here you can pick parts, sub-assemblies, work features or whatever and click Alt-V and it toggles their visibility. It would be helpful and more streamlined if the same shortcut was available in the part environment. And why not in an idw too? OK, one step at a time!

A more sophisticated method would be two shortcuts - first one makes selected items Visible, second one makes them Invisible. Toggling is clumsy when some of the items are already Visible and some are Invisible.

All the best,

Simon

Message 33 of 34
dan_szymanski

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for the nudge @SteveMDennis. The Inventor team is tracking a number or productivity improvements that relate to invisibility. Of which is the ability to quickly toggle solid body visibility within a Part file via the same Ctrl+V shortcut that works in the assembly environment [being tracked as #735]. Feel free to tag the Idea for this one with a vote here. A second improvement would provide a "Select All Invisible Components" selection filter within the assembly environment [being tracked as #40946] (closely related to the ask in this idea here). Unfortunately I cannot comment as to "when" these improvements will be delivered. Both present a good deal of value, per my perspective and I want to do all I can do get them in your hands. If you want either, please do your part by casting your vote to the applicable Ideas.  Thanks!

Dan Szymanski
Product Manager
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 34 of 34
Yijiang.Cai
in reply to: dloganbill

This idea has been implemented within Autodesk Inventor 2023. Please review the Inventor 2023 What's New article here, for more information regarding how you may leverage the page. Special thanks to you.

Thanks,
River Cai

Inventor Quality Assurance Team
Autodesk, Inc.
Email: River-Yijiang.Cai@autodesk.com

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report