Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Virtual Section View (2011 Sub Adv Pack)

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
rdyson
807 Views, 7 Replies

Virtual Section View (2011 Sub Adv Pack)

After applying a half section view, I'm no longer able to select anything. Graphics window or browser.

Is this new behavior?

Is it just me?

Has it always been this way and my altzeheimer is geting worse?

PDSU 2016
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
gcooper79
in reply to: rdyson

the only thing I can think of is that you may not have completed the section command.  After you created the section view, did you rmb and select done?

Regards,
Graeme
Message 3 of 8
rdyson
in reply to: gcooper79

Yes to Done

I can pan, zoom, rotate just not select.

PDSU 2016
Message 4 of 8
mcgyvr

What menu comes up when you right mouse click?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 5 of 8
rdyson
in reply to: mcgyvr

gcooper had it right, I hadn't clicked done

1098i9B5966701EF2D193

But now you have to actually rmb then done instead of just enter

Not sure if the "improvement" is worth the added irritation

PDSU 2016
Message 6 of 8
mcgyvr

I think the current workflow could be slightly improved.

My suggestion is as follows.

#1-Select the button for the type of selection view you want (half/quarter)

#2-Select workplane or face.

#3-manually drag or enter the desired offset.

#4-upon clicking the check mark the command is finished. (you can go directly to any other command at this point) then..

#5-A RMB (right click) would bring up the typical right mouse dialog (new sketch,place component, repeat,etc...) There should be an button in there to both "end section view" and to modify current section view. Maybe just a button that is "section view" with a flyout that would include the dialogs from the pic above PLUS an end section view command.

I, like rdyson find the extra dialog (as he shows in the picture above) to be an annoyance and just another extra step that is really not needed at the time of creating the initial section view.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 7 of 8
rdyson
in reply to: mcgyvr

I rather like your suggestion, especially the End Section view in the context menu.

PDSU 2016
Message 8 of 8
TheRham

Bumped, because I was having basically this issue in 2013, and found my solution in this thread from the before-time... the long long ago.  Looks like they fixed it, and then rebroke it... which always impresses me. Man Frustrated

Basically, in 2012, when you were in the assembly environment and selected the virual section tool, you picked the plane you want to use to section, enter the offset (if desired), click "Continue" (or right click, and select "Continue", or simply slap "Enter")... it USED to be that you were done.  Now (2013, XP-64bit) it seems the command is not actually finished, despite there being NO prompt, and almost no further input you can possibly supply (you can rmb to flip the section... which personally I almost never do), and no indication of any further action required.  Nor can you hit enter again to finish the command, you have to right-click and select "OK" to finish the command (NOT intuitive), so you can proceed w/ the assembly sectioned and enter other operations.

What is with problems that get fixed getting un-fixed in later releases?  It's like the team that worked on 2013 was using 2011 as a starting point.  This isn't the first time I've seen this kind of thing.  Example: .bmps in title blocks... didn't work, got fixed in 2011, got re-broke in 2012, eventually got hotfixed.

BAH!  I hate losing time to old problems!

/exit soapbox

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report