Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Virtual parts weight total BOM vs Parts List

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
mslosar
432 Views, 2 Replies

Virtual parts weight total BOM vs Parts List

I was using virtual parts to add nuts and bolts to a drawing in 2013

I can make a VP bolt in the assembly, no problem, set it's size, weight, etc.

In the VP itself, there is no option for number of bolts I want it to emulate. For arguement's sake the weight was 1 pound per bolt (they are big bolts).

I can go into the BOM and say quantity 60, hit done and save the assembly.

If i open the drawing, the parts lists shows 60lbs for the 60 bolts total - which it should when summing the weight.

The problem is the BOM/assembly. If the weight of my assembly (without bolts) is 10,000lbs, the assembly sees the VP weighing 1lb and says the total weight is 10,001 lbs. Am i going to have to pattern a fake part to get this to work right? Shouldn't the total weight take into account the quantity set in the Bom??

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
Curtis_Waguespack
in reply to: mslosar

Hi mslosar,

When you edit the BOM qty, you're placing a static override (as indicated by the text color change)  that is not considered in the calculations. Rather than doing this,  you might use the Rectangular Pattern tool and pattern the virtual component (use the Z axis for the Column selection), then the qty(mass) calculation will be correct.

Alternately, you can right-click on the virtual component and choose Copy, and then click in the graphics area and choose Paste, to create copies of the virtual component.

I hope this helps.
Best of luck to you in all of your Inventor pursuits,
Curtis
http://inventortrenches.blogspot.com

Message 3 of 3
mslosar
in reply to: Curtis_Waguespack

I wound up figuring that out the hard way 🙂

Still - they know that virtual parts are just that - virtual. Can't believe it's that hard to stick a field for how many you want to add into it.

Does it not seem, uh, weird or bizarre - to create an array of a fake part?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report