Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

View Rep and weldments

16 REPLIES 16
Message 1 of 17
karthur1
446 Views, 16 Replies

View Rep and weldments

I would like to be able to turn the visibility of the welds off and control it with a view rep. How can I do that?

When working in a weldment, I would like to demote some of the parts to a sub-weldment. When I do this, the parts are demoted to a "standard" assembly and I loose all my welds between the plates. Is there a way to demote parts in a weldment and have them demoted to a weldment with the welds?
16 REPLIES 16
Message 2 of 17
Anonymous
in reply to: karthur1

Give this a try. Create a new View Rep then right click on the "Beads"
folder and uncheck the "Visibility" entry. This will get saved in the view
rep. Unfortunately it's an all or nothing deal because it doesn't look like
you can individually toggle visibility for each weld.

As far as demoting goes you can select a weldment template to demote into
but you are going to lose your weldments regardless of what you do. Just as
in the assembly environment you cannot demote components and retain the
"assembly level" features on that component weldments fall into the same
paradigm.

Thanks.
--
Gary Tafoya
Inventor Assembly QA

wrote in message news:5882763@discussion.autodesk.com...
I would like to be able to turn the visibility of the welds off and control
it with a view rep. How can I do that?

When working in a weldment, I would like to demote some of the parts to a
sub-weldment. When I do this, the parts are demoted to a "standard"
assembly and I loose all my welds between the plates. Is there a way to
demote parts in a weldment and have them demoted to a weldment with the
welds?
Message 3 of 17
signmeup
in reply to: Anonymous

4 years later and it's still all or nothing with weld visibility

Product Design Suite 2017, HP Z800 Xeon X5680 @ 3.33GHz x2, CPU x24, 96Gb, Nvidia Quadro 5000
Message 4 of 17
mtungseth
in reply to: signmeup

It is now an additional 3 years later and still all or nothing with weld visibility.

Or am I missing something?

My issue is this: one weldment assembly, want 2 drawings showing different parts of assembly. 

I can control which parts to have visible using view reps, but all welds will be visible, destroying the view on the drawing.

Workarounds anyone?

Marius

Message 5 of 17
blair
in reply to: mtungseth

You can Suppress individual welds and parts within the LOD and then create your drawing views using the desired LOD. Normally LOD's are a memory tool to reduce the system load but it seems to work for this.

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 6 of 17
signmeup
in reply to: blair

You cannot suppress welds within an assembly under an LoD. I think that is
what has been requested.

This message has been scanned for viruses by BlackSpider MailControl - www.blackspider.com
Product Design Suite 2017, HP Z800 Xeon X5680 @ 3.33GHz x2, CPU x24, 96Gb, Nvidia Quadro 5000
Message 7 of 17
blair

Just expand the Welds folder, RMB select the required weld and Suppress. It worked for me last night before I posted the solution. I'm on IV2016 so I don't know it that functionality is in older versions.

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 8 of 17
jtylerbc

I haven't tried it in 2016, but it doesn't seem to work that way in 2015.  LOD's and suppressed welds are independant.  If you suppress a weld, it's suppressed everywhere no matter what LOD you switch to.  Same is true for features created in the weld Machining level.

Message 9 of 17
blair
in reply to: jtylerbc

Something like this: http://autode.sk/1KGrbaU

Then create your drawing views using the LOD's you require.

Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 10 of 17
jtylerbc

blair,

Your video stops before where the problem exists (in 2015 and older, at least).  What happens to the welds when you switch back to Master LOD?  In 2015, when you suppress the welds, they are suppressed in all LOD's, not just the active one.  If you then unsuppress them in the Master, you're simultaneously turning them back on in the "welds removed" LOD.

Is that behavior different in 2016?

Message 11 of 17
blair

Same as IV2015, you need to manually un-suppress the welds.

Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 12 of 17
jtylerbc

So then what is the LOD doing for you (with regards to the welds)?  When you unsuppress the welds manually in Master, it messes up your new LOD also, so the new LOD might as well not exist (again, with regards to the welds - I realize your example also suppressed parts).

The weld suppression isn't saving with the LOD's.  All LOD's show the same weld suppression settings.  So you can't make a drawing view that has the suppressed welds omitted, and another view where they are shown.  All views will show the same welds no matter what LOD they reference.

If I'm missing something here and there is a way to make this work, please correct me.  I've tried figuring out a way to selectively show welds many times and have always come up empty.

Message 13 of 17
blair

Correct, I guess, you could create the view with the LOD, then select the "Differ Updates" for the view in the drawing to lock the drawing view with the suppressed parts and welds.

I guess "Weldments" due to their "inseparable" nature within Inventor just don't behavior nicely. Since I'm not a big fan of the "Differ Updates" I wouldn't want to use this setting as other aspects of the model could become frozen on the drawing as well.

Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 14 of 17
jtylerbc

Yeah, I wouldn't want to do it that way either.

I don't think this is technically an issue with weldments at all.  All assembly-level features act this way (not interacting at all with View Reps or LOD), even if they are not made in a weldment assembly.

It seems it is a limitation with assembly features in general.  Welds behave this way, but so do weldment Machining features, as well as extruded cuts in a regular assembly.

Message 15 of 17
signmeup

I think the answer is to set the view in the Inventor drawing to not show
any welds and then add welds using weld symbols.

That solves the drawing problem but leaves modelling in a mess still with
welds hovering in mid-air.

This message has been scanned for viruses by BlackSpider MailControl - www.blackspider.com
Message 16 of 17
signmeup

I think the answer is to set the view in the Inventor drawing to not show
any welds and then add welds using weld symbols.

That solves the drawing problem but leaves modelling in a mess still with
welds hovering in mid-air.

Message 17 of 17
mtungseth

@signmeup wrote:
"I think the answer is to set the view in the Inventor drawing to not show
any welds and then add welds using weld symbols."

The answer might well be to not use the weldment features at all if you don't have to.

I remember the introduction of weldments in Inv 6 I think it was. I gave it a try at that time, but abondoned it quickly because of all bugs and lack of control.

Today I recognise many of the same problems still appear, i.e. visibility of weld symbols in the model view.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report