Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

view I properties of all files in a project or directory

9 REPLIES 9
SOLVED
Message 1 of 10
Anonymous
495 Views, 9 Replies

view I properties of all files in a project or directory

I am updating a lot of parts before putting them in a "vault"  Is there a way to list the I properties and document settings of all parts and assemblies in a directory rather than opening each part individually.  It would be great if I could make edits that way as well.  (for example change a status to released or a BOM to purchased.

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

Changing properties (Iproperties) can be achieved through the assembly BOM window.   But all the changes you want to do is only possible through an iLogic or VB program. 

Message 3 of 10
dan_inv09

Are you sure you can't do that in the BOM?

It certainly looks like you can to me. I had to add the design state column, but other than that it looks like it's working.

Message 4 of 10
Anonymous
in reply to: dan_inv09

dan_inv09..   Yes you are correct..   Majority of those items can be accomplished through the BOM interface.   However I had assumed that "document settings" meant any of the settings under that options.   So in that regards programming would have to be involved to extract that info.

Message 5 of 10
dan_inv09

See, I thought he meant various settings for the document not everything under "Document Settings" which, maybe it's just me but, other than the things that you can change in the BOM editor, I don't see what you might need to change when updating parts before checking in to vault - are you changing units at that point? Is snap spacing suddenly a concern?

DocSettings.png

The "Old Warehouse" lighting style looks a lot like one of the bays here in our old building - now that the project is done, if anyone had to edit one of the parts in my assembly it might be comforting to have it in that environment. How do I quickly switch all the parts to a different "Active Lighting Style"?

Sorry, I seem to have a very hard time not being snarky all the time.

But I think we need to build up to the answer - maybe try not to drop the Visual Basic bomb until someone comes out and says that the easy stuff isn't enough.

Message 6 of 10
Anonymous

Sorry for the poorly worded initial question.  What I am doing is going through files that are in directories.  Some of the parts are in an assembly, some are not.  I am tring to make sure that I properties are set such as title, description, mass, comments, status = released.  Also in the BOM I need to set the default BOM structure to normal or purchased.  I don't mind going into the part to do this originally.  (but would be happy to avoid it).  The main issue is that when I am finished with a directory, I would like to view these properties for the entire directory to make sure I did not miss anything.

It seems to me that since Inventor lets us collect this data, there would be a way to view it.  I am not opposed to VB although I am not experienced in it.

Message 7 of 10
Anonymous

Tell me about this BOM interface.  Is it on directory level?

Message 8 of 10
dan_inv09

The BOM is within assemblies.

But you could just dump everything in the directory into a dummy assembly to work with. (And when you update the mass of the assembly it should update the mass in all the parts.)

You have to add the columns you want - most of those aren't there by default. It's easy, it's the little box that's half yellow and half white with an arrow pointing down to the yellow half - that brings up a window with the iProps, just drag the ones you want to where you want them.

You can add columns to Windows Explorer, but only Windows properties, not Inventor iProperties. It would be great if you could view iProperties in Explorer, or even to populate just some of them automatically into the regular properties (you could do it manually but they wouldn't update from either to the other).

You should put this in the IdeaStation. I'm not sure how to word it, or even exactly what we're asking for:

iProperties in Explorer (/as columns)

Special Explorer for iProperties

Properties linked to iProperties

etc.

(Manipulating BOM structure might take a bit more, but for all the regular iProperties it seems like any of those should pretty easy, doesn't it?)

Message 9 of 10
Anonymous

thank you very much.  This is exactly what I was looking for.  I guess I should have mentioned at the start that I am fairly new to inventor.

Message 10 of 10
dan_inv09

This looks close to what we want:

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Inventor-IdeaStation/iProperties-Manager/idi-p/3923893

You could add a comment with some more specifics about your desired workflow.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report