Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

View Assembly (IAM) Files Online

10 REPLIES 10
SOLVED
Message 1 of 11
barnumw
2901 Views, 10 Replies

View Assembly (IAM) Files Online

I am trying to create an online gallery of my students' work.

I can't find any online viewers that will support IAM files.

I can convert them to STL files and use something like 3dvieweronline.com, but then I lose color.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks in advance,

Bill Barnum

http://www.tinyurl.com/BarnumSTEM2

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
swalton
in reply to: barnumw

Try exporting the iam files to dwfx with Inventor.  IE should open dwfx files natively.  According to this article, there are plug-ins for Firefox and Chrome.

http://ketiv.com/support/tech-tips/viewing-dwf-files-in-an-internet-browser

http://help.autodesk.com/view/INVNTOR/2014/ENU/?guid=GUID-D50603F3-EC6D-440E-9BF9-7E7245DE90A9

Steve Walton
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Inventor 2023
Vault Professional 2023
Message 3 of 11
barnumw
in reply to: swalton

I was hoping for something that wasn't browser dependent, that way parents on my middle school students could view it easily.
Message 4 of 11
JDMather

I have a good example I will share later today - but don't nearly all computers have IE browser installed?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 5 of 11
mcgyvr
in reply to: swalton

I've had numerous problems even with IE and dwfx files.. Some computers work just fine.. Others not at all and its a nightmare trying to troubleshoot the ones that don't work.

As you are a teacher I'd guess you can get Inventor publisher maybe which can export a 3D PDF.. everyone can view those. (well everyone with the adobe reader) and its hard to find someone that doesn't have that installed. 

I wonder if there is a simple way to go HTML5/Canvas elements now.. Haven't checked.. 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 6 of 11
JDMather

Here is my dwfx example.

There is a link to the actual dwfx file and a Screencast Recording.

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/inventor-general-discussion/friday-pics-12-12-2014/td-p/5441215

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Message 7 of 11
SBix26
in reply to: JDMather

I just tried JD's dwfx file with Chrome, and it opened without a problem.  I don't recall installing a dwfx viewer for Chrome, so it either installed with Inventor, or on the fly, or Chrome has it built in (unlikely).

Sam B

Inventor Professional 2015 SP1 Update 1
Windows 7 Enterprise 64-bit, SP1
HP EliteBook 8770w; 8 GB RAM; Core™ i7-3720QM 2.60 GHz; Quadro K4000M

Message 8 of 11
JDMather
in reply to: SBix26

@sbixler wrote:

I just tried JD's dwfx file with Chrome, and it opened without a problem.  I don't recall installing a dwfx viewer for Chrome, ..

Do you have Autodesk Design Review installed on this machine?

I think the key is to check on a machine that does not have any Autodesk software (particularly Design Review) installed.

Message 9 of 11
SBix26

Chrome on my work machine doesn't show any Autodesk extensions, but I'll try it at home this evening and see what happens.  IE shows the DWF viewer as an add-in.

Sam B

Message 10 of 11
barnumw

I have been communicating with Marco at 3dvieweronline.com. He just made some changes today so that STL files exported from Inventor will show color.

It isn't much extra work to export IAM files as STL files, so I am going to use this as my solution.

Thank you everyone for your help.

Regards,

Bill Barnum

Message 11 of 11
SBix26

For what it's worth, I tried viewing JD's DWFX file on Autodesk 360 from Chrome on a computer that has no Autodesk software installed at all, and it viewed just fine.  Firefox gave the same results.  I wonder if A360 is simply loading the viewer in the browser session rather than requiring that it be already installed as an add-in, or using Flash or some other existing utility.

Sam B

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report