Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

video crashes randomly with model open

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
drowlee
321 Views, 6 Replies

video crashes randomly with model open

I am running a Dell Precision M6500 system with 16GB ram, Intel i7 Q720 CPU, Windows 7 64-bit, and Nvidia Quadro FX 3800m video card.

The problem is that when I have models open or drawings of complex models and assemblies my video randomly crashes to black and sometimes comes back. When it does come back Inventor is just a white screen so I can save and then resart the program and it's fine. Other time though, the majority of the time really, it doesn't come back and the screen stays black. Hooking up secondary monitor does nothing and waiting around for hours didn't make the screen come back up either.

I have had the video card, motherboard, and i/o board replaced (warranty through Dell so no cost to me) but the problem still persists. Sometimes I can go days without an issue and sometimes I have a model open for a half an hour and it crashes. I've been working on the same project for a while now and there is no rhyme or reason as to why it crashes. I've had the same model and drawing open multiple times and had it work fine all day and then have it crash the next.

The graphics hardware page shows the quadro fx 3800 as certified and recommended but not the 3800m. Is that the problem? Is ther eneough of a difference between the two that the mobile version doesn't work? This problem apparently popped up after installing 2013. It may have occured previosly with 2012 but if it did it was a very rare occasion that didn't seem out of place from just a regular unlucky day with a computer crash. (I wasn't here previously and my boss said there were minor issues but nothing crazy previously)

Any help is greatly appreciated.

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
DarrenP
in reply to: drowlee

have you tried playing with the hardware settings in inventor

big I>options>hardware tab

change to compatibilty mode

DarrenP
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 3 of 7
mcgyvr

What graphics card driver version are you using?

"usually" staying up to date with the drivers is all that one would need to avoid graphics issues..

If I was you I'd be running the 332.76 released on 3/14/2014 for your system.. 

Not sure if this link its going to work but http://www.nvidia.com/download/driverResults.aspx/74066/en-us

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 4 of 7
drowlee

I forgot to mention some of that stuff. sorry. I do have the latest driver and I also tried it with the cad driver. Neither seems to make a difference. I also changed the compatability to try that as well. neither of those options changed the outcome. It's still random though so I can't really give a time frame of how long it takes and it also doesn't seem to be tied to any specific level of intracacy. I can operate in the same file for hours or days with no problem and then have that same file crash on me. I have tried using less constraints and fully constrained models and that didn't seem to matter either.

Message 5 of 7
dgorsman

Laptops can be prone to thermal problems, which can present as random failures.  Is there enough room for air to circulate through the case?  Have you tried any utilities to monitor CPU and GPU temperatures?

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Message 6 of 7
drowlee
in reply to: dgorsman

No I haven't used any programs to monitor the internal temperature. I know that can be a problem, but having felt the laptop and being able to feel the air flow coming out of the base I don't think heat is the problem. It has never felt hot, at least not to any degree that would seem unnatural. I felt for hot spots and felt the air coming out after the few crashes happened and checked it when it crashed Friday as well.

Until any new ideas come out I'll give the temperature a shot but I am doubtful about it.

Message 7 of 7
drowlee

Ok so I downloaded some programs to monitor the temperature of both my cpu and gpu. The results are normal for the cpu. Temps ranging from mid 40s to mid 60s. GPU temps though are around 65 idle and when doing some benchmarking tests it ran in the high 80s continually and topped 90 a few times. Those temps are C. I'm not sure but I think that's a bit high for a GPU and I assume that was happening when running some of the more complex models and assemblies.

But I don't think that answers why it was crashing on simple drawings sometimes.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report