Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Video cards

28 REPLIES 28
Message 1 of 29
jeremyj
598 Views, 28 Replies

Video cards

I use Inventor 2012 and am make a very large assembly and as it gets bigger, the longer it takes to place components and constrain them as well as move my model around.  I'm thinking it's a graphics card thing as my computer is pretty powerful.  I have a NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460 gaming card right now.  I don't really want to spend several thousand dollars on a top of the line CAD card, but is that my only option?

28 REPLIES 28
Message 21 of 29
jeremyj
in reply to: mcgyvr

Yes it is a 77 MB .iam file.

Message 22 of 29
mcgyvr
in reply to: jeremyj

I'd bet your hard drives are the issue for sure then.. Either get them in a Raid 0 configuration or buy a solid state drive (60G "should" be plenty and is pretty cheap $70-150USD max) to load Inventor on and make it the location of your working folder...

Thats my next upgrade too as we are finally moving to Vault..

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 23 of 29
mcgyvr

@jeremyj wrote:

Yes it is a 77 MB .iam file.

Why? Like I said thats frigging HUGE for an iam file..What have you done?? Notice the pic ray posted a few posts back.. 200Kb.. not Mb.... big difference

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Message 24 of 29
jeremyj

It is big.  Not sure why it would be so big.

Message 25 of 29
mcgyvr

What have you done at the assembly level besides place parts into it and constrain them? Any assembly level features/sketches,etc..? Your problem is you did something to the assembly file that has caused this huge file/slow down.. The worst part is you don't know what you did. Smiley Tongue

With only 130+ parts I'd either figure out what you did or just redo it.

Message 26 of 29
kstate92

Maybe all 130 are adaptive.  jk

KState92
Inventor Professional 2020
AutoCAD Mechanical 2022.0.1
Windows 10 Pro 64 bit - 1903
Core i7-8700 32 GB Ram
Quadro P2000
Message 27 of 29
r_baker11

Yes I agree there seems to be something seriously wrong with this assembly. The only thing I can suggest is that he should look at patterning components. The occurrance of over 17000 with 342 parts seems seriously out of whack.

PS this is not a large assembly. I personnally have done 500 plus components on a bog standard desktop computer so a top of the range video card is unneccessary

Message 28 of 29
Ray_Feiler
in reply to: r_baker11

"The occurrance of over 17000 with 342 parts seems seriously out of whack."

It's just big, not complicated. About the size of a tractor trailer. Smiley Happy

BTW I'm not having a issue with this assembly. The OP assembly is much smaller in total part count but his iam file size is much bigger than mine.

Product Design & Manufacturing Collection 2024
Sometimes you just need a good old reboot.
Message 29 of 29
sam_m

any engineering notes?  think they do a LOT to file-size (and think I've read of ppl with bad performance with them too).

We've all talked about hardware, but what state are your drivers in?  using the latest Nvidia drivers?  and checked ALL divers are up to date (motherboard, soundcard, everything, hell bad mouse drivers have been a problem in the past)?  A LOT of ppl forget about checking motherboard/chipset drivers but it's the backbone to the system, if they're old or not even installed then no matter the speed of the components they're not "speaking" to each other at their full speed anyway.  1 bad driver could tie up resources and gimp a system (didn't some Spaceball drivers do that too a while back?).

Sam M.
Inventor and Showcase monkey

Please mark this response as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question...
If you have found any post to be helpful, even if it's not a direct solution, then please provide that author kudos - spread that love 😄

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report