Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Video Card/Workstation for Inventor 2015

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
esalwan
1336 Views, 4 Replies

Video Card/Workstation for Inventor 2015

Hi all,

I am purchasing computers/workstations for use Inventor 2015.  I am trying to ensure that we have the smoothest possible Inventor experience at a reasonable cost.  Currently we are considering Dell T3610 workstations with Windows 7 Pro, Xeon Quad Core HT 3.7 GHZ, 16GB memory, 3 GB NVIDIA Quadro K4000 graphics cards for about $2200.  I would like to consider less expensive computers, but I have been seeing mixed reviews about using gaming cards with Inventor. 

We are primarily looking for less expensive, pre-built systems that match or exceed the performance that we can expect from the above.  Can anyone offer suggestions on computer systems or their experiences with using gaming video cards versus workstation video cards for complex models?

Thanks,

Eric

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
spackle42
in reply to: esalwan

I'd ignore the Quadro.  As I understand, Inventor uses Directx to render, rather than OpenGL, so the extra cost for an 'industrial' card is money down the drain. Top out the system memory, especially if dealing with large or complex models.

Justin Smith

Inventor Pro 2015 SP1
HP Z400 Workstation
Intel Xeon W3565 @ 3.20GHz
12Gb RAM
Win 7 64 Pro SP1
Spacepilot Pro v3.17.4
Message 3 of 5
LT.Rusty

@esalwan wrote:

Hi all,

I am purchasing computers/workstations for use Inventor 2015.  I am trying to ensure that we have the smoothest possible Inventor experience at a reasonable cost.  Currently we are considering Dell T3610 workstations with Windows 7 Pro, Xeon Quad Core HT 3.7 GHZ, 16GB memory, 3 GB NVIDIA Quadro K4000 graphics cards for about $2200.  I would like to consider less expensive computers, but I have been seeing mixed reviews about using gaming cards with Inventor. 

We are primarily looking for less expensive, pre-built systems that match or exceed the performance that we can expect from the above.  Can anyone offer suggestions on computer systems or their experiences with using gaming video cards versus workstation video cards for complex models?

Thanks,

Eric

Get a gaming card.

Quadro & FirePro cards are best when it comes to software with heavy OpenGL requirements.  Inventor uses Direct3D, not OpenGL, so a gaming card will give you more performance per dollar as compared to one of the workstation cards.

Rusty

EESignature

Message 4 of 5
spackle42

Just another point, I found this AD post regarding processors which states that IV (up to 2013 anyway) doesn't multithread except in specific instances.  Worth a read as to how to get the most out of your processor though.

Justin Smith

Inventor Pro 2015 SP1
HP Z400 Workstation
Intel Xeon W3565 @ 3.20GHz
12Gb RAM
Win 7 64 Pro SP1
Spacepilot Pro v3.17.4
Message 5 of 5
esalwan
in reply to: spackle42

Thank you the input!  Would be interested to hear from anyone else that also has relevant expereinces.

Best regards,

Eric

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report