Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Very basic question

3 REPLIES 3
SOLVED
Message 1 of 4
poroxide
252 Views, 3 Replies

Very basic question

Hello,

I'm a beginner trying to learn Inventor for personal use.

I have a basic question:

I'm looking to place the rectangle in the following way:

Distance from Corner A to the arc of the circle = Distance from Corner B to arc = Distance from bottom side to Diameter line

center.png

I tried constraining the two corners to the arc of the circle, but they stick right to the edge.

I need some sort of margin and I have no idea how to do it, or where to look for the tutorial.

Thanks in advance!

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
graemev
in reply to: poroxide

Parameters and constraints are your friends.  Assuming you won't be changing the orientation (by rotation) of the rectangle:

1) Place a vertical constraint between the center of the circle and the midpoint of a horizontal line of the rectangle.  This will force B to be as far from the circle as A.

2) Dimension the circle.

3) Dimension from the bottom of the rectangle to the center of the circle by the offset you desire.

4) Dimension from the center of the circle to A, but radially, not orthogonally.  Set the value to the circle's radius less the offset from step 3.  (While editing the value, select the dimension to have its parameter name fill into the editing box.  You can divide by 2 if the circle's dimension is diametral instead of radial.)

If you might later wish for the rectangle not to be horizontal, first place a construction line from the center of the circle to the midpoint of the rectangle's top.  If you project an appropriate origin axis - also as construction geometry - you can skip step one and use an angular dimension between the two construction lines to orient the rectangle.

Clear as cheese?  If you have trouble, post up your .ipt file and variations on this theme will come back.

Message 3 of 4
JDMather
in reply to: poroxide

@poroxide wrote:

I'm looking to place the rectangle in the following way:

Distance from Corner A to the arc of the circle = Distance from Corner B to arc = Distance from bottom side to Diameter line

Your part is named square in circle, but I did not see any squares.

Your description says rectangle.

Do you want the horizontal distances to be equal, or do you want the vertical distances to be equal or do you want the radial distances to be equal (see attached file for latter solution)?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 4 of 4
conklinjm
in reply to: graemev

Another way of achieving the same result ...

1) Draw a circle centered at A

2) Draw a circle centered at B

3) Draw a circle concentric with the Ø90 circle

4) Constrain the circle at A to be tangent to the Ø90 circle

5) Constrain the circle at B to be tangent to the Ø90 circle

6) Constrain the third circle to tangent to the bottom horizontal line of the rectangle

7) Apply equal constraints to the three circles

- - - -

The image shows the results of this approach.

HTH

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report