Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Vault Vs. Semi-Isolated

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
Anonymous
201 Views, 6 Replies

Vault Vs. Semi-Isolated

Can someone tell me what the advantages and disadvantages of the Vault vs. semi-isolated mode. I'm trying to determine if we should go with the vault or not! We only have three users, and we are using a linux based server. John
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

I have not used semi-isolated since vault came out but from what I remember it very simplistic in its check in and out functionality. If you are going to do a lot of check in/out dont use semi-isolated.

Having used both I would choose vault. You get a lot more benefit in my opinion. However it is a little more complex overall and you may not want to bother.

In any case read all the documentation about Vault before you use it. Once you understand it, it really is simple to use.

You can put the file store for vault on your server but You cannot install vault on your linux box though. you would have to install it on a system with win2k or higher and point it to the linux box. If it is a users box you install it on it will be a performance hit on them when vault operations occur.

- ed -
Message 3 of 7
Anonymous

John, Unfortunately Vault is not compatible with Linux. Vault uses SQL server, and SQL server is not compatible with Linux. Vault has many advantages over semi-isolated: 1) Vault provides a better interface for managing your data 2) It allows you to report a version history of all your Inventor files, and has an understanding of all inter-related parts. 3) Vault stores and maintains metadata about your Inventor documents. This metadata allows you to query and search for Inventor files and versions (e.g. If you want to find all Inventor assemblies that use a certain part, you can do this with Vault) 4) Vault provides a easy and defined mechanism to back up your data. 5) Vault is good at maintaining a concurred design environment, much more secure than semi-isolated. There are many more advantages to Vault than is mentioned here, and best of all, it's FREE to Inventor users! On the downside, you can't use Vault if you have a Linux server. Best regards, Hugh Henderson (Autodesk) "ed_nelson" wrote in message news:12887326.1080943434483.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum1.autodesk.com... > I have not used semi-isolated since vault came out but from what I remember it very simplistic in its check in and out functionality. If you are going to do a lot of check in/out dont use semi-isolated. > > Having used both I would choose vault. You get a lot more benefit in my opinion. However it is a little more complex overall and you may not want to bother. > > In any case read all the documentation about Vault before you use it. Once you understand it, it really is simple to use. > > You can put the file store for vault on your server but You cannot install vault on your linux box though. you would have to install it on a system with win2k or higher and point it to the linux box. If it is a users box you install it on it will be a performance hit on them when vault operations occur. > > - ed -
Message 4 of 7
Anonymous

I meant to say concurrent, not concurred... > 5) Vault is good at maintaining a concurred design environment, much more > secure than semi-isolated. Sorry, Hugh Henderson (Autodesk) "Hugh Henderson (Autodesk)" wrote in message news:406deecf$1_1@newsprd01... > John, > > Unfortunately Vault is not compatible with Linux. Vault uses SQL server, > and SQL server is not compatible with Linux. > > Vault has many advantages over semi-isolated: > > 1) Vault provides a better interface for managing your data > > 2) It allows you to report a version history of all your Inventor files, > and has an understanding of all inter-related parts. > > 3) Vault stores and maintains metadata about your Inventor documents. This > metadata allows you to query and search for Inventor files and versions > (e.g. If you want to find all Inventor assemblies that use a certain part, > you can do this with Vault) > > 4) Vault provides a easy and defined mechanism to back up your data. > > 5) Vault is good at maintaining a concurred design environment, much more > secure than semi-isolated. > > There are many more advantages to Vault than is mentioned here, and best of > all, it's FREE to Inventor users! On the downside, you can't use Vault if > you have a Linux server. > > Best regards, > > Hugh Henderson (Autodesk) > > > "ed_nelson" wrote in message > news:12887326.1080943434483.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum1.autodesk.com... > > I have not used semi-isolated since vault came out but from what I > remember it very simplistic in its check in and out functionality. If you > are going to do a lot of check in/out dont use semi-isolated. > > > > Having used both I would choose vault. You get a lot more benefit in my > opinion. However it is a little more complex overall and you may not want to > bother. > > > > In any case read all the documentation about Vault before you use it. Once > you understand it, it really is simple to use. > > > > You can put the file store for vault on your server but You cannot install > vault on your linux box though. you would have to install it on a system > with win2k or higher and point it to the linux box. If it is a users box you > install it on it will be a performance hit on them when vault operations > occur. > > > > - ed - > >
Message 5 of 7
Anonymous

Hugh This is from a earlier post by Brian Roepke .... has it been found that it does not work? Having the file store on a linux server hasn't been tested by Autodesk. Someone from the newsgroup might be able to share their experiences with it and how to get it working but I do not have any advice for you. The best place to look in the "configuration guide". It may help you with setting up the environment. Autodesk Vault Configuration Guide http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/ps/item?siteID=123112&id=3493675&linkID=3016303 -- Kent Autodesk Discussion Group Facilitator "Hugh Henderson (Autodesk)" wrote in message news:406deecf$1_1@newsprd01... > John, > > Unfortunately Vault is not compatible with Linux. Vault uses SQL server, > and SQL server is not compatible with Linux. On the downside, you can't use Vault if > you have a Linux server. > > Best regards, > > Hugh Henderson (Autodesk)
Message 6 of 7
Anonymous

We are running an open source MYSQL database server that points to files on Linux. Will this work with Vault? Or does Autodesk only support a Microsoft based SQL server? John "Hugh Henderson (Autodesk)" wrote in message news:406deecf$1_1@newsprd01... > John, > > Unfortunately Vault is not compatible with Linux. Vault uses SQL server, > and SQL server is not compatible with Linux. > > Vault has many advantages over semi-isolated: > > 1) Vault provides a better interface for managing your data > > 2) It allows you to report a version history of all your Inventor files, > and has an understanding of all inter-related parts. > > 3) Vault stores and maintains metadata about your Inventor documents. This > metadata allows you to query and search for Inventor files and versions > (e.g. If you want to find all Inventor assemblies that use a certain part, > you can do this with Vault) > > 4) Vault provides a easy and defined mechanism to back up your data. > > 5) Vault is good at maintaining a concurred design environment, much more > secure than semi-isolated. > > There are many more advantages to Vault than is mentioned here, and best of > all, it's FREE to Inventor users! On the downside, you can't use Vault if > you have a Linux server. > > Best regards, > > Hugh Henderson (Autodesk) > > > "ed_nelson" wrote in message > news:12887326.1080943434483.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum1.autodesk.com... > > I have not used semi-isolated since vault came out but from what I > remember it very simplistic in its check in and out functionality. If you > are going to do a lot of check in/out dont use semi-isolated. > > > > Having used both I would choose vault. You get a lot more benefit in my > opinion. However it is a little more complex overall and you may not want to > bother. > > > > In any case read all the documentation about Vault before you use it. Once > you understand it, it really is simple to use. > > > > You can put the file store for vault on your server but You cannot install > vault on your linux box though. you would have to install it on a system > with win2k or higher and point it to the linux box. If it is a users box you > install it on it will be a performance hit on them when vault operations > occur. > > > > - ed - > >
Message 7 of 7
Anonymous

Hi John, We take advantage of quite a few optimized function within Microsoft SQL server that provide us advantages over working with multiple databases. When you have to support multiple platforms you end up watering down your application to support a "generic" approach. (e.g. no database specific optimization.) We do provide a free version of SQL server with the Vault called MSDE. This helps in the case where you want to save money and not have to purchase a database but unfortunately neither the vault or SQL server support the Linux platform. I would recommend what Ed had suggested. Take an XP or Windows 2000 machine and us it as your workgroup server. This doesn't have to be a very powerful machine, just one that fairly current. -- Thanks, Brian Roepke Product Manager Autodesk, Inc.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report